Best movie from your country.

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

ColonelHogan

Re: Best movie from your country.

Post by ColonelHogan »

Highlander. It won the Academy Award for best movie ever made.
waxass366

Post by waxass366 »

City of life and Bol.
RlVDSyBUSEUgU1lTVEVNISBBTkFSQ0hZISEgVElUUw==
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

Chefcook wrote:Sorry, Albino, but you may have forgotten the best and most memorable movie (series) from Germany:

Das Boot

Watch it.

If you are able to, try to get the series. The movie is just a sliced down version of the rest.

Chef
No, I didn't forget "Das Boot" but it's not in my list of the best German movies because I always fell asleep while watching it (and I tried like three times...maybe I should have watched it without the green stuff :? ).
And according to IMDb "The Lives of Others" is the better movie :P.
Let's wait what Sushi has to say about this matter :)
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

So many people recommended me OldBoy, I will try to watch it this weekend.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Its really weird... especially at the end.. ;)
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Chefcook wrote:Its really weird... especially at the end.. ;)

I think it was haruky who told me not to watch the trailer, because that will spoil a few things. And I also heard that the movie is a big mindfuck :) I have no Idea how weird it will be.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Ples v dežju (Dancing in the Rain)(1961)

Love drama of actress Marusa and painter Peter, he lives in a dark rental room, she in a tight apartment, but both spend most of their time in an inn, where they also meet. Their relationship is full of uncertainty and contradictions. Peter dreams of perfect beauty, Marusa seeks lost youth in commitment. But the illuminated window is withdrawing more and more.
A really old movie, I hope those who decide to watch it don't get annoyed by our language too much. The movie isn't for everybody, some need to "blossom" to fully understand it. For me it has a special attraction as the film features scenes of our capitol from which I am also from, its nice to see buildings and streets how they used to be, some have not changed one bit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgRnVuTfi4[/youtube]
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

I'm super disappointed that I can't find any of these on Netflix.

Also, waxass, is the movie title "City of Life and Death" not "City of Life and Bol"? I can't find anything about City of Life and Bol.

I'm going to hit up my library to try and find some of these movies since I now have more time to watch.
Image[/url]
waxass366

Post by waxass366 »

'City of life' and 'Bol' are different movies :P
RlVDSyBUSEUgU1lTVEVNISBBTkFSQ0hZISEgVElUUw==
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

To nominate the "best" movie is tough since you would have to get a consensus on the criteria for such selection first. In general a movie that moves the viewer and leaves a longtime impression should qualify. Also I would think some categories of film would be fair. How to compare "Pretty Women" and "Rambo" - ask your Girlfriend and you will get my point.

"Das Boot" is definitely epic (yes the series have some tiring moments - but if you allow yourself to get carried away you will feel the tension behind the "boredom" of waiting with the crew). To me it is the first "italo-western"-war movie I have seen, where the soldiers were dirty, unshaven, without shining uniforms, everything was filthy ...

"cloud atlas" certainly has potential, but does not nail it at the end (which is a bloody shame - it could have been the film of the year)

so to name a few German classics:
Starting with some b/w flics: Nosferatu, Metropolis (best to see with live orchestral music), die Feuerzangenbowle, Comedian Harmonists
color: Münchhausen (1943) , Aimée und Jaguar, Lola rennt, Der bewegte Mann, Der Name der Rose, Fitzcarraldo

There is a bunch of German warthemed movies (mostly "Anti"-war movies) ask and I will provide titles.
Snow1Wolf

Post by Snow1Wolf »

sushi, the cloud atlas movie you are referring to is the one coming out right?
For CAFFEINE!!!!!
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

thats the one I am referring to. 8)
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

The Netherlands: Soldier of Orange.
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

Sushi is absolutely right, there are several german movies that are great. Lola rennt was the first movie I bought myself and I watched it so many times that I wore out the VHS.
But if I had to go with a single movie, I have to side with Chef and say Das Boot. I think the best way to really appreciate it, is to see the director's cut. It's the series- all in one movie. It's over 3 hours long, and REALLY slow at times, but due to the fact that the camera stays with the crew at all times, without any outside shots, it's extremely tense even when nothing happens, because you only know what the crew knows about what exactly is outside the boat, which usually is very little.
The acting is fraking fantastic, allthough I don't know if the translated version is any good. I stopped watching german dubbed films because the voiceover work is usually terrible, but maybe it's better for english, idk.
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

Why don't you Germans even mention Der Untergang? It's a great movie!
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator