Windows 10 Technical Preview available

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Windows 10 Technical Preview available

Post by matsif »

>in b4 "what about windows 9?"

For those interested, the first publically available version of windows 10 is available. The full release of the OS isn't due until late next year, when it will release with DX12 (and likely be the only OS to support DX12 because M$). This version will be updated and supported by Microsoft until April 2015, where it will likely get replaced by a release candidate.

Here's a quick guide to it.

Here's a link for if you want to DL it.

Note for those who may DL this, probably best to install it on a spare hard drive or at least a separate partition and test it out for a bit for stability purposes.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Sarantini
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview available

Post by Sarantini »

"M$" ....
Nix

Post by Nix »

MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

oh dear. I've got a techie friend who is totally into all the MS technology. Now I've got a year about hearing about windows 10 dev stuff.

In saying that, If they have the windows 8 performance with a similar-to-windows 7 GUI, I'll go for that upgrade. Even if "Windows Ten" sounds stupid.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

seems to have some good ideas
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

windows nine sounds even more stupid for us germans : translatet Windows no (nein ) :lol:
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

I was deadset on sticking with Windows 7 until I experienced how little the supposed Windows 8 / 8.1 annoyances were really that annoying.

Granted, I installed the Pokki Start Menu, cause that stupid fullscreen changeover for a shitty start menu substitute was awful... But yeah, Pokki Start menu is pretty great, easy to use, non-intrusive once you set it to NOT display web searches and such.

Honestly, I have come to like Win8.1. It's not fantastic, it has issues, but you learn a few keyboard shortcuts and it's in some ways better and quicker than Win7. In fact, losing Aero (transparent title bars) for a flat design is, IMHO, really great.

I don't understand why people have shunned it so much. I was once one of those, but upon using it.. it's really not that different.

Windows 10? Dear lord, I worry. Windows will be embarking on a new paradigm - Once you have Windows 10, you'll never HAVE to upgrade by wiping your drive and installing from scratch. They are saying once you're on Windows 10, you'll get an upgrade stream that will not in any near future require a drive wipe and reinstall. The timeframe seems to be many/tens of years. I don't really trust Microsoft on that timeframe. How many leaders have they had in the past 10 years, and how many "New Directions"?
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Kismet wrote:I was deadset on sticking with Windows 7 until I experienced how little the supposed Windows 8 / 8.1 annoyances were really that annoying.

Granted, I installed the Pokki Start Menu, cause that stupid fullscreen changeover for a shitty start menu substitute was awful... But yeah, Pokki Start menu is pretty great, easy to use, non-intrusive once you set it to NOT display web searches and such.

Honestly, I have come to like Win8.1. It's not fantastic, it has issues, but you learn a few keyboard shortcuts and it's in some ways better and quicker than Win7. In fact, losing Aero (transparent title bars) for a flat design is, IMHO, really great.

I don't understand why people have shunned it so much. I was once one of those, but upon using it.. it's really not that different.

Windows 10? Dear lord, I worry. Windows will be embarking on a new paradigm - Once you have Windows 10, you'll never HAVE to upgrade by wiping your drive and installing from scratch. They are saying once you're on Windows 10, you'll get an upgrade stream that will not in any near future require a drive wipe and reinstall. The timeframe seems to be many/tens of years. I don't really trust Microsoft on that timeframe. How many leaders have they had in the past 10 years, and how many "New Directions"?
People just love to hate on MS and want to live out the prophecy that "every other Windows" is good.

Honestly, 8.1 is great. Very very fast and I have no issues with the "start screen". You see it maybe once or twice on boot-up and that's it. People just love to complain about things.
Image[/url]
Sarantini
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sarantini »

haruky wrote:
People just love to hate on MS and want to live out the prophecy that "every other Windows" is good.

Honestly, 8.1 is great. Very very fast and I have no issues with the "start screen". You see it maybe once or twice on boot-up and that's it. People just love to complain about things.
Well...
windows 7 (good) windows 8 (bad) windows 8.1 (good) :lol: