It's that time of the year - Steam summer sale is up

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

It's that time of the year - Steam summer sale is up

Post by RazY70 »

undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: It's that time of the year - Steam summer sale is up

Post by undrt0w »

I am thinking:

1) H1Z1 - is it worth it at the current state?
2) Life Is Feudal - cut it with this survival/crafting games
3) Verdun - ww1 fsp. after seeing the imperial war museum i am really hooked
4) Next Car Game - i love destruction derby

that's a lot of money though....don't know what to do!! :cry:
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Don't see the point of buying h1z1 at this time. It's meant to be going f2p once finished.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Hmmm good point....if it ever gets finished. :mrgreen:

What about GTA V?? I mean, this offer is not really an offer...like get GTA + Max Payne 3 for euros off..lol.

Is anyone still playing Online?
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

undrt0w wrote:What about GTA V?? I mean, this offer is not really an offer...like get GTA + Max Payne 3 for euros off..lol.
Is anyone still playing Online?
Aside from Sarge, I don't think any GC people still play regularly.

According to Steam, I've played 300ish hours, and the novelty wore off in the first 100 hours, easily.

It all depends how you like your games, but in my opinion GTA V and GTA Online both have some very poor design choices.

I'd say it's not so much the bugs(which it has, believe me), but the way the gameplay mechanics work: Enemies are bullet sponges and fall down if you shoot them(usually they fall behind cover so you can't get to them, a design choice against console controller autoaim which is really anoying with a mouse that doesn't have autoaim available), guns seemingly fire bullets made out of cheese, enemies have impeccable aim and will shoot you in the head from a moving car with a handgun(Not an exaggeration), missions are very repetitive, the police system will get you instant wanted levels for killing someone in the middle of nowhere with a supressed pistol or looking at a cop too long(Yes, looking at a cop, you read that right), cops will spawn everywhere(Including on mountaintops and generally right in your path) the moment you get a wanted level even though they don't show up in normal traffic or on foot, traffic AI will ram you constantly and in missions actively try to block you, the map isn't varied enough with only one major city and way too many mountains, cars that you own will vanish if they get blown up(As opposed to online, where you can thankfully call the insurance company to get them back for a fee), the story is once again a case of getting swindled into doing various things without any real rewards for it, and the characters range between unlikeable and hated.

For online not much changes: Singleplayer characters return as questgivers and have generic unskippable cutscenes at the end of most missions, missions have unexplained and often seemingly random instant failure states, missions are even more repetitive because you will literally be playing the same ones over and over to make chump change, everything is very expensive and making money is slow(They sell "cash cards" for real life money, and it shows), you can't actually steal high end cars and keep them(Have to buy them full price, sometimes for millions of dollars), you can only own 3 properties(any combination of shitty houses, luxury apartments, and garages) across the entire map(and none of them are mansions or luxury houses), you can't buy a hangar or a docking slip and instead have to call a company that will deliver them to you(If you're lucky. They usually deliver somewhere way across town, and only if there aren't players there, in which case you'll get a call when you arrive at the pickup spot to tell you they couldn't deliver), players in freemode will usually kill you on sight, there's pretty much no protection against hackers(I've had multiple encounters, including one raining huge chrome aircraft from the sky), the matchmaking and lobby system works very poorly, and the loading times are even longer than single player.

There are a few more things I've not mentioned(like having to buy snacks in online, from convenience stores with limited stock, making you drive to 3 or 4 different ones), but this is a game with many major and minor annoyances.

I'd say inform yourself before spending any money on it.
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

CrookedBarrel wrote:cars that you own will vanish if they get blown up
I was under the understanding that if you own the car, it will appear at the impound/police station where you can get it back for $250.
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

A Docile Sloth wrote:I was under the understanding that if you own the car, it will appear at the impound/police station where you can get it back for $250.
Up to two cars should show up at the impound. Any more get blown up and they'll replace the ones already there.

Have fun driving across half the city to get to the impound without getting busted for jacking a car to do it.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Wow thx for the in depth review Crooked. Hmm...maybe I will wait for now. Multiplayer was more important for me and if people are not playing then I can use the money elsewhere :)

Cheers!
Welcome Committee Member

Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

In terms of moeny and stuff in Online I have to agree that its just totally crap and repetative. The fact the boats and aircraft and stuff cost so much is ridiculous, especially as, as you say, you don't own storage facilities for those vehicles at all. So you have to pay every fraking time, and they are ridiculously expensive.

There are also a lot of cars you can buy from the shops which are stupid expensive and they act the same; you can't fit them in your garage, you have to go pick them up. You don't find out until after you buy them, by which time the money is gone.

Thankfully money doesn't always stay an issue. Some hacker was in my game the other day and shot at everyone with a money launching gun. I made 4 mil in a few minutes. (And at the end of the day it REALLY doesn't go far).

Generally though I still enjoy slipping into online for a wee bit. My experience of open mode is generally pleasant. The other day we got half of the lobby to all go grab titans and line up nose to tail on runways and try to take off. Unfortunately despite awesome stuff happening, it only takes one person to ruin it. Some twat was standing nearby with a heatseeking launcher to blow us all up as soon as we tok off. That was lame, but it was also fun watching all these giant planes trying to dodge, and the wreckage lying everywhere.

If you accept that open mp will have twats, it's not too bad. I usually just drive around in my stupid cars chasing the people driving the armoured stuff just beeping my horn while they get chased by cops. Don't usually have any problems. I just don't get bothered buy the people who are being complete asshats, that's what passive mode is for.

I hate how the AI changes into bullet sponges in mp though. You can literally shoot them with 20 bullets while being knocked on the ground and they'll still be going, while you die in 5 hits and the enemy being so accurate at shooting you while moving is awful. It's frustrating as for many missions you barely cover the armour and ammo costs because of it. It just feels wrong, and as crooked says, it's probably because of the autoaim on controllers.

I got the game on PS3 when it came out. I think I enjoyed it a lot more the first time. MP was more hectic (once it was available) there though, it feels positively civilised on PC.

You don't get done for carjacking on SP, so getting to the impound ain't a problem. I think it's a bit stupid that you do on MP tbh, though with the mechanic coming at any point it's usualyl not so bad. I just get annoyed when I order the wrong car I have to run away from my vehicle and wait a bit before I can get another one. I want you to come and give me another car damnit! Take this one away!

SP has a problem where unless you cheese it, you barely have any money. There's also only a tiny amount of cars you get from mp patches that have been transferred into SP, and the storage / destruction of owned cars is annoying as crap to deal with.

It's strange the differences between MP and SP sometimes, there's quite a lot of things where I just don't understand why they don't work the same.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

wow..mindblowned.

well, money are well tucked in. actually, i've decided that i will not purchase any MP game that I see none else have bought. when i get something i want to have someone to play it with.
Welcome Committee Member