Let's Learn More About Each Other!

Welcome to GC. All the information you need to get started is here!

Moderator: Executive

Hgx

Re: Let's learn more about each other.

Post by Hgx »

The only problem with my english beside my pronunciation problems from time to time, is that I get tired after talking for a long time, like when I did the armor basic training and I talked for about 45 mins or so.
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

I'd have to thank Matt Groening for my english skills. Futurama is what made me interested in learning the language, because you wouldn't believe how bad the german dubbed version is (they catch like 1 out of 10 jokes). After that came Scrubs and a bunch of other shows and I think I graduated with The West Wing on one end of the spectrum and the Wire on the other.

I'm happy that in GC, I finally get a chance to train my spaking skills, which are still abysmal when compared to the writing. Which is all the more frustrating, because sometimes, I know exactly what I want to say and I just can't get my point across properly and that bugs me to no end.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

LoRdG0nZo wrote: I'm happy that in GC, I finally get a chance to train my spaking skills, which are still abysmal when compared to the writing. Which is all the more frustrating, because sometimes, I know exactly what I want to say and I just can't get my point across properly and that bugs me to no end.
bullseye
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

LoRdG0nZo wrote:I'm happy that in GC, I finally get a chance to train my spaking skills, which are still abysmal when compared to the writing. Which is all the more frustrating, because sometimes, I know exactly what I want to say and I just can't get my point across properly and that bugs me to no end.
ImageImageImage
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Yeah Gonzo I know what you mean. I can type pretty well but when it comes to speaking and pronunciation people are probably like: "Wtf is this crazy Rusky talking about".
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

Well, writing is simpler thanks to the fact that you have all the time to think of something in your native language, translate it the best you can, and then write it. When it comes to speaking you have to try to think in English, or whatever foreign language you're talking into, and that's way more difficult.
ImageImageImage
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

.Sup wrote:Yeah Gonzo I know what you mean. I can type pretty well but when it comes to speaking and pronunciation people are probably like: "Wtf is this crazy Rusky talking about".
you were better than cv3tko and pinkass :mrgreen:

now imagine me trying speak german or something. That my friends would be a funny time.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Necromancer wrote:I leard from movies.
First time without subtitles i tought i wouldnt understand anything
But i understood like 85% and any doubt was gone.

Now i prefer watching without subs just because it allows you to see all the action, and not miss anything looking down at the subs. I feel more immerse in the movie.
Soon I will be able to watch english movies/TV shows without subtitles. I tried once before (a few months ago), but the actors in the movie were talking too fast and they used words I didn't understand. So halfway the movie I just downloaded the english subtitles.

But I will try again to watch something in english without subtitles.

And as something HGX mentioned, it's pretty exhausting to speak in a foreign language. Im always trying to find the right words, and half the things I say on TS doesn't make sense. After a while it can make you pretty tired.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Darknote

Post by Darknote »

Hello, my name is Valentine, I'm from Romania, 18 years old. Pleased to meet you.
I played battlefield since 1942 (With the exception of BFBC1 and BF1943 since I do not own a console.
I can play almost any vehicle (I don't own any of the expansions except "Strike at Karkand").
My favourite role is Engineer, with G36C with silencer/holo-scope, Javelin, and an M9SD.
I am eager to follow orders and do so without thinking twice (Yes, I will go be cannon fodder. :< )

~Dark
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Welcome Valenine! Premium is currently 50% off and since we will incorporate Aftermath next campaign you will be missing out a lot.
PapayaGiver

Post by PapayaGiver »

I'll introduce myself then. My name is Bruno and I study physics in Germany. I'm part colombian, part german and 22 years old. I only know a handful of people who play BF3 and it was difficult to be online at the same time so I started looking for people to play with and landed here. I played yesterday and loved it so you might be seeing me again. As some of you mentioned, it's also good language practice so there's another good reason.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

fawadforlan wrote:
Soon I will be able to watch english movies/TV shows without subtitles. I tried once before (a few months ago), but the actors in the movie were talking too fast and they used words I didn't understand. So halfway the movie I just downloaded the english subtitles.

But I will try again to watch something in english without subtitles.

And as something HGX mentioned, it's pretty exhausting to speak in a foreign language. Im always trying to find the right words, and half the things I say on TS doesn't make sense. After a while it can make you pretty tired.
start with something simple and familiar, like Harry Potter movies after reading the book in your own language.
so you basically already know whats going on.

you won't get everything at first, not even after a while, but as long as you understand the big picture you'll get better.
only "guessing" the words you don't understand based on the context will really make you understand english, because words can be made up. for example, if in a given situation, you would substitute the main object with some other word, or a made up sound, your friend would still understand (ex: if you go with your friend and both notice a super sexy blonde gal, you can say "wow that bird is beautiful" and your friend will understand that by "bird" - you mean "girl". but i could substitute it for anything and you would still understand)

i found that watching without subtitles allows you to catch small signs like things on the background, or a tiny wink you normally wouldn't because constantly looking at the bottom for subtitles, and it has an impact on the story line.
just seen The Amazing Spiderman btw, stupid movie.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

about english-
to speak with ppl and understand them, when I first visited england, I had to learn to filter all those " ah's + hmm's " out of the spoken. Took some time to find out what's thinking and what makes sence :P
First to rules:
use it
start to think with it
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Thanks for the suggestion Necromancer.

Btw, I actually really liked the movie The amazing spiderman. But I guess it was just because of Emma Stone. :D
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

fawadforlan wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Necromancer.

Btw, I actually really liked the movie The amazing spiderman. But I guess it was just because of Emma Stone. :D
^This guy knows what hes talking about.