my current system

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

FAS88

my current system

Post by FAS88 »

amd athlon 1800 , xp pro, 1 gig DDR, 9800 pro graphics, audigy2 Zs sound, razer diamondback mouse, saitek keyboard.... i was wanting to get a top line motherboard /chipset (FX-55)and was considering using my current sound and graphics card combo in my new rig until i can afford the new graph card that i want.. what are your thoughts ..will this handle Bf2 ??
gribble

Post by gribble »

yeah, your graphic card should handle BF2 well enough. so get a new mobo/cpu combo with a decent amount of ram first :)
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

I think your current setup could handle bf2 fairly well. Depends a bit on the eye of the beholder. I would try it and see how you like it before I upgraded.

If I did upgrade I would not pair a fx-55 with a 9800 pro. IT's a bit of a waste. Your system will be bottlenecked by your vid card. You could spend $500 less on a cpu and it would run the same as with the fx-55.

If you have that kind of budget to get that cpu (which must be $700 or so) then instead I'd buy a 7800 gtx vid card with a 3200ish amd 64 cpu and a motherboard to go with it. Game performance would be much greater.

Also for just a cpu upgrade, see if your mb can support a faster xp cpu. like a 2600xp or something.
FAS88

Post by FAS88 »

it only supports up to 2 gig ughhh
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

FAS88 wrote:it only supports up to 2 gig ughhh
Whats wrong with that?
Stirring it up since WAW #1
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Yeah that's not essentially bad, unless you're running three different instances of BF2 at the same time...after so much RAM, there's just a bunch of extra RAM doing nothing.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
syL

Post by syL »

He probably means gigahertz.
Dedicated to the Steelworkers of America. Keep reaching for that rainbow!
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

syL wrote:He probably means gigahertz.
Ah ok 8)
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Oh well in that case...I pity your motherboard.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

My kids comp only runs an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2ghz (266 FSB) - it plays BF2 just fine and HL2 etc ......
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

"Pentium 4 3.2GHz Cpu, ASUS P4S800 mobo, 1Gig PC3200 DDR Mem, Windows XP SP2, XFX 6600GT AGP 128MB, SB Live 5:1 Digital, 160gig HDD"

Yeah, it ain't terrible...just used to stats like above ^^^ (except a more l337 soundcard and surround system :P)

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Don_Quix

Post by Don_Quix »

Err. His system sounds pretty good. He should be able to run BF2 just fine with most things on medium.

I just upgraded to 2 gigs of ram last week, but I was running with 1 gig of ram before that and BF2 ran fine. The only thing the extra gig did in regards to BF2 is make the maps load a little faster.

Of course I also have an Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2Ghz) and an ATI 9800XT ;)

Ram isn't going to make a huge difference for you if you already have a gig, but if you can afford it, you might want to pick up another gig just for the headroom and extra stability. The gig I just got cost me about US$120.00 for Atlas Precision PC3200 DDR from crucial.com. It will speed your system up some, especially when you are running several memory-hog programs at the same time, but it's not like doubling your processor speed or anything.
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Yeah, I do a lot on my system too, so I need a higher powered computer...I'm running other programs (dual monitors, etc.) while I"m running BF2. Talking to foreign publishers is annoying.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
FAS88

Post by FAS88 »

forget all that stuff from before.. i'm taking a down payment for my new rig tonight to my builder so he can get all the parts ordered. can probably
have it built in about 4-5 days.i'm not going with the fx-55. probably amd64 4000+ , i want to go with the single graph card on the asus sli mobo, and get the other later , any thoughts on that?/ my builder is pushing the 850xt platinum , what are your thoughts on that..i was thinking maybe changing to nvidia 6800gt ( just 1 for now ) thoughts?? goin with a gig (for starters) of corsairs best ram. SBlaster audigyZsplatinum sound.. goin w/ a combo dvd drive/cd r rw (lite-on).. 160gb west. dig HD...the damn case is 150 bucks ....DAMN... its sweet though.. ( cooler master) all black alum. with clear side and lots of cooling fans (3) . probably a 500 watt power supply ... hows all that sound??
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Big improvement...way to go.

...well, it's up to preference, I don't know reallt what's the honest difference between all of the video cards...theoretically, they're all supposed to have the same bottleneck/power...maybe I'm wrong.

nVidia may be the better choice, since the game is "optimised" for nVidia.

I'd go with the cheaper one, since I have an ATi with no problems.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage