21%
Graphics card
64%

Total votes: 14

Andi

What's my bottleneck?

Post by Andi »

please don't laugh when you see my configuration :wink:

i run an athlon xp 3000+ with 1 gig ram and a gf 6600LE.

my guess on the bottleneck is the graphics card. what do you think?

tell me if you need additional info.
@6-Obschtz.Andi|GT
@7-Obgfr.Andi|TB (Einsatzschild Gold, Panzerorden Bronze, Scharfschützenabzeichen, Nahkampfspange Silber)
8D|2|Pfc.Andi
BF2 C3: S2*Man Andi84 (Image BlackOps Service Ribbon, Main Battle Service Ribbon, Trouble Pack Award, Quacksalver Recognition, Bench Monkey, Nutcracker Award)
C4*Pfc Andi84 (ImageShortest Campaign Ever, Squad Unit Citation, Support Medal)
C5: XE*PFC Andi84 (ImageSilver Star, Infantry Assault Medal, Squad Unit Citation, Bronze Star)
C6: SD*CPR Andi84 (ImageCampaign Winner Medal, Battle Service Ribbon, BlackOps Service Ribbon, 3 Lifesaver Medals, 4 Squad Unit Citations, Infantry Assault Medal, Chuck Norris Action Ribbon)
C7: B9*PVT Andi84 (ImageCombat Action Medal)
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Depends on the type of ram and whether that processor is 64Bit or not. I have pretty much the same config but my ram is the bottleneck because its so slow.
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

I have a 2600 AMD, with 1.5 gig and a 128mb grafic card.

I play all settings low, still have occasionally lags (mostly on 64 player servers with vehicles).

You mist one option, the whole system.
I dont think upgrading you grafic card won't saticfy you.

I am also looking for a complete new system, with at least 512 mb in the new grafic card.
I am still saving up
Philippx1991

Post by Philippx1991 »

the mb's is nothing on a graphics card, the CPU tact and the RAM speed is what counts stonie!
I've got a new system with a INTEL dual core 6300 with 2 GB DDR2 RAMS(Corsair)and a ATI X1950XT with 256mb i got erverything on high and i got 70 fps on 64 player maps!

The next better graphic card with 512 MB cost 100€ more!
I whould buy a lower graphic card and buy in 2 years maybe a card witch support DirectX10!
=GC=Campaign8:Image

=GC=Campaign3:Image =GC=Campaign4:no bling bling=GC=Campaign5:Image

=GC=Campaign6:Image=GC=Campaign7:Image
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I'd say the graphics card is the biggest bottleneck. But the CPU and mem are also holding you back. If its AGP (dont remember if they made 6600LE for AGP), then dont even thinking about upgrading it until you move over to PCIe. AGP performance fell behind PCIe over the last year.

I'd say get a 7950 and wait a year or 2 before buying a DX10 vid card. But you'll still feel the 1 gig of mem and CPU skipping heartbeats.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

I'd say there's no real bottleneck in Andi's config. The system should be pretty well balanced. Upgrading the cpu will make the gpu the bottleneck and for a better gpu, the cpu would be the bottleneck.
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

I'm going to buy the retail light version of the
sapphire x1950 pro 512 mb ddr3 AGP

it costs about 225 € and i think this card would be fit great into your system

My 3 year old Computer system is

AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2000 Mhz
Asus KV8 Deluxe
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
2x512 MB DDR RAM Infinion 3200

Yes it is still a AGP Mainboard.
To stay away from a full upgrade to a PCI express Board (means new gfxcard, new RAM, new Processor) I will buy the new sapphire agp graphiccard x1950 pro 512 agp at my favorite online shop lite retail about 225 €, that will make the most of the coming games playable and the cost arent that high then buying a new system.
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

I wouldn't invest one cent into an AGP system. It's tough but you are better of saving for a new mainboard, 2gb that fit into it, new cpu and new graphicscard.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

for sure the newest technologie is always the best solution, but always be up to date is expensive.

new board means new cpu, new ram, new gfx card (at least) and i think in buying this you won't have something with lowquality, if you won't spend too much money at the moment and want to wait a little bit and you will buy in one or one and a half year this is a good solution, i think, for sure i won't be able to keep competetive with my system with the high end solutions. But it is the best price atm.
saving money for new mainboard, 2gb cpu and gfx for my requirements would cost about 1.500 € or something like that ;)
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Philippx1991

Post by Philippx1991 »

come on i bought a new system!!!Total costs 1000€ with all
CPU:INTEL core 2duo 6300
RAM:Corsair DDR2 667 2GB
Graficscard:ATI X1950XT 256MB PCIe
Mainboard:Asus P5B
power pack:Enermax Liberty 500W
Hard disk :250GB seagate Baracuda 8,5ms

This is not the best system but a good one!
And i have time now and then in future i will buy a Graficc. witch will support DirectX10
=GC=Campaign8:Image

=GC=Campaign3:Image =GC=Campaign4:no bling bling=GC=Campaign5:Image

=GC=Campaign6:Image=GC=Campaign7:Image
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Prob is you'll get a new AGP video card, and put a couple hundred $$ into a card that one would hope would last 2 years.

Reality is the new video card will give you 5-10 frames more with a couple details turned up. Even if you get over the disappointment that while it helped, the system is still slow. Then when the next game comes out in the next year, you're back to looking at upgrading again, this time another video card besides new CPU, MB, RAM.

If its bottom dollar, AMD CPU, MB, (prolly PSU too) and 2gigs are pretty cheap (well, maybe not the mem). I wouldnt buy anything less than $200 on the vid tho. If you have a few dollars more, Intel would give a better bang for the buck if you OC.
Nelm

Post by Nelm »

OK, Theres always a way to boost your system. Its called "overclocking" !!! I bet you all know what it is . If you've got time for OC'ing and honey-money for your new Monster8GB32Terraflop system than i recommend overclocking . Heres a little guide for ya <a href="http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=17612922"> Beginners Guide to Overclocking</a>

and since you all "flashed" you systems am just gonna follow:
*Bling* *Bling*
AMD X2 4400 @ 2.5MGHz on air
2GB Ballistix @ 270MHz(currently 250MHz)loose timings
DFI nF4 SLI-DR
ATI x850 xt pe (PCI-E) -Stock-

Edit: System is 1 year old
Last edited by Nelm on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything"
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

I've gotten a new motherboard and processor for Christmas:
AMD 64 Athlon X2 4600+
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard

Atm i still need a new gfx card and i also only got 1gb of memory, so was thinking of upgrading that too.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

The graphics card is definitely the next upgrade. Another gig of ram would hasten map loads but that is really the only advantage more ram will give you, once you get past the 1 gig mark.

Find a Nvidea GT6800 OC w\256 megs as a minimum replacement. That is what I use right now and am very happy with all aspects except map load times which is long due to my only having one gig of DDR2 566mhz ram running at 1033 mhz.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Interfusi0n

Post by Interfusi0n »

Winter_Lion wrote:Another gig of ram would hasten map loads
How so? Wouldn't a faster hard drive speed the loads, while a better cpu would speed up the "verifying client data" part?