Fix my BF2, win $1,000,000!!!

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Daywrecker

Post by Daywrecker »

Motherboard drivers are VIA Hyperion Pro 5.10a, Memory bus is 240Mhz, AGP Aperture size is 256MB. Firewall's off and as far as i know there's no viruses or spyware. At least that's what Windows Defender tells me. I just don't understand why BF2 is running so slow all of a sudden but all my other games run at top notch speeds. Even 3DMark06 isn't showing a big differences in the scores i've had.
--- Campaign 6 [SFB] --- --- Campaign 5 [HH] --- --- Campaign 4 [SCUM] ---
Image --------- Image ---------------- Image
--- Campaign 3 [SCUM] --- --- Campaign 2 [EC] ---
Image - Image
MorpheusPT

Post by MorpheusPT »

i have the same situation, since all the games run at top speed, but bf2 lags way too much, sometimes :(

my computer is like yours, daywrecker, but my graphics card is slightly better (Nvidia Geforce 7600GT)
Morph
Daywrecker

Post by Daywrecker »

I found the solution, i need a GeForce 8800GTX. Can anyone spare $567.99?
--- Campaign 6 [SFB] --- --- Campaign 5 [HH] --- --- Campaign 4 [SCUM] ---
Image --------- Image ---------------- Image
--- Campaign 3 [SCUM] --- --- Campaign 2 [EC] ---
Image - Image
MorpheusPT

Post by MorpheusPT »

are you sure that's the answer?
Morph
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Daywrecker,

Try rolling your video card drivers back to the last version you used before the current new ones.,

I could spend all nite telling you about many many times when a new driver pkg just didn't get along with BF42 and when I rolled it back, all was good in the world..........Every single time!

Give it a shot..........Remember also to defrag your hardrive a lot, reboot your modem daily..........run a spybot scanner at the very least, everyday.......I sometimes run mine five or six times a day when I am busy online.

Don't get frustrated yet........There are ways of making this issues go away. These are the easiest and quickest.

Luck.........Winter 8O
ImageImage
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

try to set bf2 to high priority. how to do this: press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then click process, scroll down and find the bf2 process, right click and set to high priority.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

SUPR3 wrote:try to set bf2 to high priority. how to do this: press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then click process, scroll down and find the bf2 process, right click and set to high priority.
You are describing the Task Manager application. It is a good place to shut down background applications before you play........only the appls with your name or ADMIN though.......leave system and network programs alone.

It is best used for background apps closure and as a much stronger way of shutting down a program that is frozen. Other than that.......it's to be avoided.

The idea you offered would be a last ditch effort kind of procedure........say, for the BF2 world championship game and you are in desperate need of a quick fix or bandaid.

Not even reccomended as a way of circumventing resource management, not even by Microsoft.

Please be careful if you start adjusting the piority load balance in task manager. It can lead to a huge cluster=feck and truthfully, he would not be fixing his computer, only treating the symptoms.

It's all down hill from that point..........You gotta fix the problem, not buy it a crutch to wear.

Respectfully submitted for your information............Winter :D
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

With it being a 6800GT, You could go back several revisions of the video driver and not being affected. I personally would prefer uninstalling and installing the full old package over just rolling the drivers.

Setting BF2 to high priority is worth a shot.
1Mac

Post by 1Mac »

Daytripper,

Since it looks like all other bases have been thru here I am going to throw this in.

First, I know the 6800gt is as awesome card, well it was about 10 generations ago, I'm thinking that your processor is probably picking up alot of the slack. Especially since your mark06 scores are so good.

May be that with all that's going on with a full server you just run out of processing power, just a guess. You may want to run your task manager in the background and check that your CPU percentages aren't being maxed out. If that is the case then you you won't any choice but to upgrade the video card. I recommend at least 7800 (eVGA 7800GTX KO is killer, I got mine off e-bay for 200Bucks!)

Another thing that should be checked is your ping. That gets too high and everything grinds to a halt! There are tweaks that can be applied if this is the problem.

Hope everything works out :)
"Alcohol, the source of, and answer to, all of lifes' problems." _ Homer Simpson.

C8:Image
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Ash2Dust wrote:With it being a 6800GT, You could go back several revisions of the video driver and not being affected. I personally would prefer uninstalling and installing the full old package over just rolling the drivers.

Setting BF2 to high priority is worth a shot.
Ash..........Did you read my post at all or is that last opinion just in spite of my warning to not mess with load priority balances in the task manager?

Just wondering if you didn't read it or are just ornery by nature. I avoid suggesting non-documented repair methods to our players because Daywrecker is not the only member who will read this.

We can't be suggesting techniques that some less technically proficient player will try on his mom and dad's pc and if the worst happens, can't get working right again.

I respect you and Daywrecker's experience as well as lots of GC members, but we are posting this help publically and have no control over who reads it, pops open task manager and goes to town.

Better safe then suggesting the most extreme counter-measures, that's just the responsibility we have to the larger community we serve here.

BTW: I never use the rollback function in vid card property window under drivers. I always do a complete uninstall and reboot. Then install the new pkg.

My goof, saying rollback so casually in my post above. I stand corrected

Also, I use a GT6800OC 256mbs PCI-E video card myself and there are pretty big differences between driver releases last couple of big updates.
From tweaks for BF2 to inclusion of High Definition class settings for using plasma and lcd widescreens thru a dvi cable for gaming and multimedia display.

My PC is now capable of feeding a 1080i HD signal to my 50" plasma widescreen tele and because of the driver changes, it rules like nothing I have ever seen. It runs 2142 seamlessly at such clarity it makes your eyes hurt, it's so sharp. No lag or tearing, glitch free.

His vid card is up to the task if mine can do this job. Don't ya think?

Respects..........Winter :D
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Thur wrote: I updated to the latest ATI drivers a couple of months ago, totaly screwed me. I rolled back to the Nov 06 driver for smoother play.
Have you updated to the latest DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer with "dxwebsetup.exe" from microsoft. They had their last update in February, its solved video problems in several games for me with updated video drivers.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

Also if windows firewall is fighting you, you may have to alt-tab and go into windows firewall and make sure BF2 has permission.

Also if you're fighting port problems (pb wont update, disconnects, etc) on a router or stronger firewalls. BF2 ports need opening:

TCP 80 ------------------ Battle Recorder / PunkBuster
TCP 4711 ---------------- Remote console
UDP 27901 -------------- Stats port
UDP 1500-4999 --------- "General use"
UDP/TCP 1024-1124 --- "General use"
UDP 29900 ------------- Server status (Gamespy)
UDP/TCP 27900 -------- Stats port
UDP 16567 -------------- PunkBuster
UDP 55123-55125 ----- VoIP

As always manually updating Punkbuster at http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php
with pbsetup.exe is another favorite.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

TCP 80 ------------------ Battle Recorder / PunkBuster
TCP 4711 ---------------- Remote console
UDP 27901 -------------- Stats port
UDP 1500-4999 --------- "General use"
UDP/TCP 1024-1124 --- "General use"
UDP 29900 ------------- Server status (Gamespy)
UDP/TCP 27900 -------- Stats port
UDP 16567 -------------- PunkBuster
UDP 55123-55125 ----- VoIP

It is important to your need for a hacker proof firewall to not open any of the above ports that you don't need to. Some of them are ports to be used on a server......i.e.......Stats ports. The rest are self explaining......i.e........don't open VoIP ports if you don't use that feature ingame.........and as a note:

Port 80 is used by everything web related, at some time or another.........in some way or another......If you find yourself having to open that port by hand........You have bigger problems than trying to play BF2 online........MUCH BIGGER!

Winter :D
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Most routers and windows firewall allow communication on those ports when a legit program on the client computer solicits it. I believe 80 is closed to incoming traffic unless you solicit a website. When setting up a webserver, you definitely need to open/forward it. But there are many viruses/trojans that use that port.

I'd rather allow some ports to be open than run no firewall (even for a short duration) at all. I wouldnt tell the router to forward them to your client machine IP tho as your machine could become a 'server' for a virus or trojan.