IE prob

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

IE prob

Post by Hitman47 »

I'm having problems with the Microsoft Internet Explorer "tab" function. It was working fine till now. Now when I click on the tab function window to create a new tab (so I don't need to have to IE open, so I can watch 2 or more sites at one time) it just closes my IE. Does anybody know how I can solve this?
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

get firefox. its better, and had tabs that worked before IE thought of them
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

You access your tabs menu via the tools, internet options, bottom of general tab. Hit restore defaults and see if that helps.

I run both browsers and find them both capable though lean towards IE 7. A lot cleaner to me but it is me. It may be that I spent over a year beta testing it for MS so maybe I am partial :).
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Von_Krieg wrote:I run both browsers and find them both capable though lean towards IE 7. A lot cleaner to me but it is me. It may be that I spent over a year beta testing it for MS so maybe I am partial :).
I guess its just preference then for us, I just like all the add-ons I have for firefox :D
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

There are a bunch for IE as well so might be worth looking at. Besides I have less issues with running sites with IE as it seems to be better support.

I agree, preference is the key :).
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Von_Krieg wrote:There are a bunch for IE as well so might be worth looking at. Besides I have less issues with running sites with IE as it seems to be better support.
I find the oposite. I find that a lot of sites I visit run better with Firefox. I'm helping out develop a site and using Firefox is proving easy. Supporting IE is proving a major pain in the ass.
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

Most Mainline support is IE though FF is getting better but most web apps will not support anything but IE as that is the biggest and most supported browser. I have seen presentations given by some big name companies that will only work in IE. IE is always supported as a browser so that is the main point. Run 2 or more if you like but IE will always be supported by big business.

We Dev for IE where I work and all of the dev’s have no issue with it. We are a University so we have all kinds of hippies here who hate MS and our dev’s work on just about every browser there is but they say developing for IE is not big deal. FF is more apt to give us issues here.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Lol, trust me to get the exception to the rule.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

IE is special because it gets loaded onto basically every computer that has anything Microsoft on it. Doesn't really make it special, just very common.. and common makes you want to support it ;)

Really though, neither browser is particular "better" than the other. It's just a matter of personal tastes that makes someone go with any one browser. You can support any one browser very easily when you develope.. the problem arises when you try to add more support to other browsers (regardless of which one you start with) :)
Hi!
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Von_Krieg wrote:You access your tabs menu via the tools, internet options, bottom of general tab. Hit restore defaults and see if that helps.
Nope, tried messing with the options, still the same prob. When I click to make a new tab it just closes IE down.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Here's another thing, I disabled the tabs function, but when i click on a link which requires making a pop-up screen my IE crashes....... :x
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

I do agree with Goggles though a lot of companies do not fully support other browsers as IE is common. I was at a tech briefing the other day that did a presentation using the web and even though you could go to the website with FF you could not see any data. This company is a world leader in data center support so not like they do not have the resources. This has happened three times recently with other big companies so not fluke. It usually comes down to IE is more common so if FF cannot support their code then it is not worth the effort. Mind you I use FF at home 100% of the time but it is a different type of browsing.

Did you try to uninstall IE and reinstall it? You can do this via add remove programs. Remove it reboot and reinstall. Also what OS are you running? Do you use toolbars? Have you checked the event log?
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Von_Krieg wrote: Did you try to uninstall IE and reinstall it? You can do this via add remove programs. Remove it reboot and reinstall. Also what OS are you running? Do you use toolbars? Have you checked the event log?
I was going to suggest a reinstall as well :P Maybe you want to try Windows Update first, just to double-check that you've got the latest version. Easiest way to do that is just open IE7, hit the "Tools" drop-down menu and click windows update. At Windows Update, hit check for updates and then make sure you're doing the custom install, not the express one. Then hit the Software section and look for IE updates. (under XP.. under Vista you can just hit the view updates button after checking.. much easier).

If update doesn't work, try uninstall/reinstall. I suggest downloading a second browser (such as Firefox) just so you can grab the files needed to reinstall.. just in case, y'know? Or go to this site and download the installer before you uninstall ;)

If the reinstall doesn't work, then you could be having trouble with some sort of adware/spyware - some of them like to embed themselves into your browser (and attempt to retry that every computer startup), so then we'll have to grab Hijackthis and take a look at your registry/running processes.
Hi!
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

note: if your browser crashes when trying to open a new tab, and clicking a link crashes your browser, then you might want to quickly check a setting for convenience until the problem is solved:

in IE7, go to the "Tools" drop-down menu and hit Internet Options. On the General tab (the default one to show), click on "Settings" in the "Tabs" section. Change the "When a pop-up is encountered" setting to "always open pop-ups in a new window". That should help stop random clicky crashes (hopefully)
Hi!
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

I really don't know much on both but I do use firefox, I find it slightly easier and your right, it is preference but! FF supports transparency where as IE doesn't and that matters to a few graphics designer.