For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

Great challenges of Windows

Post by sushi »

I checked MS for possible updates and saw Servicepack 3 8O
Now since MS is always good for bad surprises, does anybody have installed it and is still able to play?
PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

I got it installed for quite some time now and it all works OK...at least for Me. :)
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

We had a thread about SP3 a little while ago, but I can't find it now - doh!

Prior to the releases of XP SP3 and Vista SP1, I read a review (preview?) stating that XP SP3 provided a great boost to performance. From the benchmarks and reviews I read, there seems to be a few sites reporting approximately a 10% increase in performance over SP2, and almost twice as good as Vista SP1.

...HOWEVER...

Some users who install SP3 suffer. There is a small chance that your computer will crash, and then enter into an infinite reboot cycle. Appears to happen mostly to people using HP desktop computers with AMD processors (laptops are okay), but it can/could happen to others as well. Apparently MS is working on a fix... but yea, if you're using HP+AMD, I'd wait a little while.

I guess it's just the kind of risks we take when we're holding hands with Microsoft :/
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

I didn't recognize a performance boost in my SP3 Tests.

There is only one security patch in SP3 that hasn't been released as single patch/update yet.
It disables i2omgmt. you can check via start -> run -> "msinfo32" whether it is enabled on your system:
look at SoftwareEnvironment/SystemDrivers/i2omgmt - if it said started "no" you don't need that fix

Also:
You shouldn't have Intel (intelppm.sys) !and! AMD (amdk8.sys) Cpu drivers in your XP installation. That could lead to Bluescreen and endless resetting.

MS Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

or easier: vbs script by Jesper Johansson (Ex MS Staff):

http://www.heise.de/ct/08/12/links/044.shtml

in german, second link (the first one is interesting too: allows to fetch all updates from MS for different Win OS and Office at once, making iso files, for doing offline install - pm me if you want help or info about this)

hth
gomi
C11SCUM - Mandy
C12Panzerarmee Afrika Leutnant
C13 Neutral -Mercs
PR Team
-inactive- No BF modding = not buying - FUEA
B.I.A. for RS2V ?!?
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Seen it puke on video drivers on a Dell with an ATI card. Fix was to re-install video drivers.

I did my yearly clean install of XP, and installing SP3 went smooth.
ramboon

Post by ramboon »

As i installed sp3 i didnt felt any changes except that my computer started to spit out 100$ bills out of the dvd-drive 8O Starnge update that was :D
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

PinkAss wrote:I got it installed for quite some time now and it all works OK...at least for Me. :)
@goggles i made that thread, no one replied and its auto erased now.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

.Sup wrote:
PinkAss wrote:I got it installed for quite some time now and it all works OK...at least for Me. :)
@goggles i made that thread, no one replied and its auto erased now.
I totally replied! We had that conversation before :P
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

ramboon wrote:As i installed sp3 i didnt felt any changes except that my computer started to spit out 100$ bills out of the dvd-drive 8O Starnge update that was :D
It's a TRAP!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Chefcook wrote:
ramboon wrote:As i installed sp3 i didnt felt any changes except that my computer started to spit out 100$ bills out of the dvd-drive 8O Starnge update that was :D
It's a TRAP!!!![/size] 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
It's a freaking conspiracy........yeah...........lol.
Last edited by Winter_Lion on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Maybe I spoke too soon. I've getting Server Connection Lost on a couple of my favorite servers since the clean install w/SP3. But it could also be from the last PB update.