online security question

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

online security question

Post by sushi »

lets assume a bunch of guys want to put up a very simple webpage. One opening page and a second page with a timetable for events. The second page is supposed to be accessed via login (same password for everybody) only.

Here is the question: is there an easy way of putting online the contact data of the members within the second page with relative safety against finding them the next day in google search and the like?
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

how about a php page that does a login check before printing the data?

Simple abstract algorithm:

if not logged in
display login info
else
display authorized content

you could fire up a page like that rather quickly, and the google webcrawler would automatically only get the output from the not-logged-in portion.
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

- Or -

You could put up a php page that does a login check before printing the data?

if not logged in
display login info
else

You could fire up a page like that rather quickly, and the google webcrawler would automatically only get the output from the not-logged-in portion.
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
ramboon

Post by ramboon »

There is another simple way how you could do it:

You could put up a php page that does a login check before printing the data?

if not logged in
display login info
else

You could fire up a page like that rather quickly, and the google webcrawler would automatically only get the output from the not-logged-in portion.
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

Yeah, that's probably the best way to do it...
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
LandRover

Post by LandRover »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot add much to this long list of great suggestions, but here is a software I use on my site for my students to make sure everyone gets only the class material for his level. There are great add-ons to do anything you may want to have from an active community.

It is called Joomla! and it is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
http://www.joomla.org/
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

check if your host allows .htaccess access control. googling for .htaccess will yield you a shitload links. additionally place a robots.txt on your website that explicitly disallows search engines to index the sites. the robots.txt file will be honored by reasonable search engines like google, yahoo, microsoft search etc. pp.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Well I found myself thinking along the same lines as you Phil as that seemed to make sense, but then I had a brainstorm and thought what if you could put up a php page that does a login check before printing the data?

if not logged in
display login info
else