Installing PR

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

HumanSpeedbumpAK

Installing PR

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

I am having huge problems Installing PR.
I have downloaded the .exe's multiple times from multiple different websites and always end up with the same problem.
I get the .exe, I double click it, nothing happens. If I CTRL-ALT-DEL to the Task Manager I can see PR_Core.exe(or something like that) is running in the background but still nothing happens. This will go on for hours if I don't endprocess the .exe. I have been able to run multiple other .exe's it is just the PR one that doesn't work.

......I'm running Windows Vista.

Anyone heard of this / have any ideas?

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Seem to have fixed it.

EDIT: Yeah all I had to do was run it in Compatability for Windows XP SP2. Don't know why I didn't do that before...

Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

actually, I think what you had to do was post in the help forums asking for help :P It happens all the time... you say "this won't work" and the moment someone looks to help, it magically works :)
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-support/

PR support forums. has the answers to most of the problems on there
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Well I'm diggin through said forums now. The game is FINALLY installed and running but when I click Audio in the Options group or if I try to join a server crash to desktop. Argggg

HumanSpeedbumpAK

I quit. PR is a great time, worked awesome on my Dad's computer when I was back home, but Windows Vista loves to watch me suffer and I'm sick of the crap.

The game won't work:
Windowed
Compatability SP2
As Administrator
Disabled Visual Themes
All Background Programs Closed
Running a Single Core
All Graphics set at Medium
While I'm praying.

I'm out of ideas.

matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

did u look at the link I posted? there are 2 threads about ctd on vista:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr- ... de-pr.html
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr- ... ssues.html

look thru these
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

try graphics on low, disable voip.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Also, are you loading PR through the community tab in BF2, or through a separate shortcut? Apparently loading it through BF2 causes issues :?
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Yeah I dug through those links for a while. The second one only applies to EA Downloader users, I'm running an Orig CD Copy. The only thing I am not getting that maybe is new is Running PR.exe . The shortcut that the Installer installed points to BF2.exe and has modifiers on it that enable PR on boot. So when I double click it it opens PR, NOT BF2, but is there some other exe I'm supposed to have? I searched my computer and the PR Mod folder but there is no pr.exe they are talking about in the forums. Do I download it separately? I can't seem to find that particular answer anywhere.

Tried running on LOW for everything with no success, cant disable VOIP because it crashes when I click AUDIO in the options for some reason.

IcemanX

Post by IcemanX »

Give us some specs from ur PC

I have the problem with AMD dual core. Kicks me out in game have to turn off one core and wiered no one else has that problem.

But with the Specs we can narrow down the problems.
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

The pr shortcut points to BF2.exe and modpath PR...

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

this is what it looks on XP, prolly not like on Vista
HumanSpeedbumpAK

My shortcut points exact same as yours, the game starts fine crashes when I hit deploy or AUDIO in options. So I guess that is correct (the people in the forums are all talking about pr.exe but I think they are talking about an old version of PR, making the tutorials kinda outdated).

System Specs
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor
4.00GB of RAM
NVidia Geforce 8800 GTX
OnBoard Sound and Creative Sound-Blaster(dont know exact model. I use the SoundBlaster for Digital 5.1 Output and the Onboard for Ventrillo/Teamspeak)

Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

could it be a driver issue? Maybe try downloading the latest audio and video drivers for your box?
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

You'd better disable onboard Audio complete and only use SB. Prolly there's something like an adress conflict - try (or the other way around). Also en- or disable EAX in Audiosettings of PR.

Soundblaster Cards do have a CT number printed somewhere on the PCB (the card itself - mostly on the front upper border) with that you can check what model you've got if you're to lazy to search for original package :wink:

I hope i get my new system fixed tommorrow with Win7Beta 64Bit and that i get BF2 and PR to run with it...

Btw. You're right: outdated posts talking bout PR.exe