EA Downloader

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Redman

EA Downloader

Post by Redman »

I reformatted my HDD this week and had to reinstall BF2. No Problems there until I went and tried to reinstall the new upgraded version of the EA downloader. It appears to install correctly but after it initializes it locks up and refuses to allow me to access the program and the only thing it will do correctly is shut down.

Any Ideas? :?

P.S.

I need the EA Downloader so I can redownload and install SF. :x
ImageImageImage
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A VOTEABLE MEMBER
Camapign 4: Pirate Redman/NeutralImage
Campaign 3: Army General Redman/High CommandImage
Campaign 2 : Captain.Redman U.S./75th Ranger RegimentImage
Yob

Post by Yob »

My guess is that your download liscence may have expired. The bitch about paying for d/l version is that it is only valid for x number of days to re-download.
If you don't ask, the answer is, "No."
My Campaign ribbons are around here somewhere!
Redman

Post by Redman »

I took a screen shot of what happens when I try to start the program. The licence shouold not have expired to even start up the program. I am on a reformated drive so there is no prior info in the registry for it to link to and it will not even let me attempt to log in. :(

It is almost as if I got a corrupt download but I have redownloaded this program at least a dozen different times to different locations and everytime I have reinstalled it and attempted to run it I get this and only this. :?
ImageImageImage
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

You can try and have FileMon and RegMon from www.sysinternals.com running while doing the install and look for failed/not found messages in the log but i guess easiest will be to try and bother their support first ;-)
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Redman

Post by Redman »

After struggling with this for two days I finally hit upon the solution. As usual it was operator error but I don't get all the blame.

I had installed IE7 Beta and nothing on EA's website is compatible with the new browser. It turns out the EA D/L was built on IE6 and since I was not running it, the program would not even start. When I tried to submit the problem to EA I could not even do that since their site features will not work with IE7. You can view the site and nothing appers to be wrong until you try to interact with it. I then remembered that I was running a BETA and here might be a glitch with IE7. It came to me that this was the problem when I looked at the site with FireFox and saw features that just were not showing up with IE7. Using FireFox it lead me to a FAQ that stated that the EA Downloader was built on Internet Explorer.

With EA's site tied so closely into IE6 the light went on and I uninstalled IE7 and now I am downloading SF like nothing was ever wrong. :oops:

Gotta love playing with BETA's :wink:

Thanks for you help guys! :D
ImageImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I just dont see the draw in installing MS beta stuff. The stuff they sell is buggy enough.
deathbot9000

Post by deathbot9000 »

update: don't install beta software on a production box.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

No, the lesson learned is this:
Use Firefox.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!