Here we go again

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Here we go again

Post by WoodenPlank »

I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled windows a few hours ago. I backed up my BF2 CD key registry entry before doing so (I have my SF key, but not my core one), but I realized that I cant install BF2 without the key. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this? Preferably I would like a way to get my actual key out of the encrypted registry entry
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Interestingly, I dropped the reg entry back into place, and BF2 starts and runs normally (it was installed on a drive other than my windows drive, so it survived reformatting). I didnt save the registry entry for SF, though, so that I doubt will run without a reinstall.
Last edited by WoodenPlank on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Can't you get the key from the registry entry and just enter it like that?
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

nope, its encrypted
u can only copy reg key
tho i dont know if encryption is specific for each user (windows)
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Yeah, its encrypted. I know my BF2 CD case is here somewhere, I just have to find it.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Another problem has reared up: even after the system reinstall Im getting random crashes followed by corrupt system files. I ran MEMTEST from a bootable CD for over an hour with ZERO errors returned. Im really worrying this is a motherboard issue. Any suggestions? I already have a support ticket in with MSI (my mobo maker) to see what they suggest.
Charger

Post by Charger »

Plankie,
If your RAM checks out, and you re-installed, what about the Hard drive?
Any chance it may be showing the subtle signs of giving up the ghost?
I fresh re-install shouldn/t have corrupt files unless the HD has hotspots or the install media has glitches.
I'd wipe that HD clean MULTIPLE times, then install. Or replace it.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ok, heres what Im currently doing. First, to answer Leroy's PM, I have not overclocked anything, and Im running an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard, one MSI GeForce 6600GT PCIX video card, 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect RAM, a 680w Thermaltake power supply (Active PFC, two main 12v rails and a third backup), and an Athlon 64 3000+ processor. Heat levels are well within normals. Current temps (after a couple hours of Kotor2) are 98F on the proc, 91F for the case temp. Both temps are WAYYYY under max safe levels, so Im not looking at an overheat there. However, would it be possible to be getting these issues from a chipset problem? Im also in the process of backing up my saved files to a second hard disc (my newest drive, a 7200RP SATA drive) in case I need to reformat my mail file drive to add a new partition for windows.
Ekhos

Post by Ekhos »

Find an empty parking lot and a C4 charge that is my solution.
good luck
Charger

Post by Charger »

You have fairly popular components, chipset issue would be exposed long ago.
Are you running a RAID array?
deathbot9000

Post by deathbot9000 »

WoodenPlank wrote:Another problem has reared up: even after the system reinstall Im getting random crashes followed by corrupt system files. I ran MEMTEST from a bootable CD for over an hour with ZERO errors returned. Im really worrying this is a motherboard issue. Any suggestions? I already have a support ticket in with MSI (my mobo maker) to see what they suggest.
pull everything that isn't necessary for the computer to run (leave 1 stick RAM in, if it "crashes" switch out the stick for another). let it run for a while or until it "crashes" (BTW define crash; BSOD? windows freezes? system just reboots/power cycles w/ no warning/error?). If it does not crash after a while start adding back components One by One and letting the box run for a while between components and waiting for a "crash".
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

WoodenPlank wrote:I ran MEMTEST from a bootable CD for over an hour with ZERO errors returned.
Memtest needs to run at least 12h to be somewhat reliable.

Do you have the nvidia ide drivers installed (for the "old" ide interface)? They cause a lot of problems for people. They are completly optional. I had them installed and had the wierdest problems at some times and run my system now with the default windows drivers for the ide interface and it works very well. No more bluescreens, no corrupted files, no hangups when copying stuff around.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Yikes. 12 HOURS for memtest? Sheesh.

Every time it has locked up it has been a total system freeze. No power recycle, no BSOD. Keyboard and mouse become unresponsive, have to manually restart.

I do have the IDE drivers installed, but ive never had any past issues with them, and I havent updated recently. I just keep using the same drivers, and I dont remember ever NOT installing them.

As for the one component at a time testing.....if you saw how many components are in here, youd hesitate, too. Three hard drives, onboard and addin sound (onboard disabled in windows, but installed in case I need digital out), video card, DVD drive, DVD-RW drive, fans out the gazoo.
ColonelHogan

Post by ColonelHogan »

You've got alot of computer problems plank.
Charger

Post by Charger »

What does your event log show?