For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

I feel retarded, but more questions regarding my problems

Post by matsif »

new question:
would putting bf2 on a seperate hd fix my problem? everything on my current hd works fine except bf2 and I am thinking that maybe putting bf2 on like a cheap external or a small second hd would make it work

any ideas?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
MajorBurner

Post by MajorBurner »

definetly NOT ....

IS your CD working right?

I had the problem with BF42, that it only works with an image of the cd, and not the cd ....
Campaign 2: Neutral Image / Campaign 3: Neutral Image
Campaign 4: SCUM / Colonel Image/ Campaign 5: HH / SCA Image
call me :x & :lol:
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A VOTEABLE MEMBER
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

nope this was not fixed I thought i had it but it froze up after about 30 min. of play and now still does the same thing
No matter where you put the BF2 files, its going to be the same data.

Couple other ideas.

1) Can you start the game as a local server and play just on your computer? Try a couple different maps.

2) Did you uninstall and clean out with the BF2 cleaning tool someone just posted? (back up your profiles). Then reinstall? Does it work with just vanilla without any patches or the SF? Then with the full 1.30 patch?

3) Can you borrow a friends CD's or image and install from them? (use your unique CD key on your manual)

4) You install the latest video and sound drivers?

Its a concern that you have installation problems to begin with. Could be the CD and it could be a Virus/malware infection causing problems too.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

i just got all latest drivers and ran 2 spyware/antivirus things, and the game still freezes. I am just completely clueless as to whats going on right now. I tried using one of my friend's discs before and the game still froze thats why I had the idea of a different hard drive. also uninstalled, used the bf2cleaner thing, and then reinstalled, and it STILL froze. should I possibly try using a new administrator account on windows, or possibly installing in safe mode? also the singleplayer works fine this problem only happens with online multiplayer
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Ash2Dust wrote: 3) Can you borrow a friends CD's or image and install from them? (use your unique CD key on your manual)
if image means copy how would you do that? I thought they did something to discs to not allow them to get copied
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Its unlikely you can install in safemode as I believe the windows installer 3.1 wont run in safemode.

When you used your friends CD, did you install with it, or just play?

Since it works fine in single player, just for kicks get an updated driver for your network card/chipset or at least re-install it.

1.3 is buggier than 1.22

Wouldnt hurt and is quick to try creating another user and try playing it.
I havent tried copying my CD as I mount a mini-image (4 megs) and keep my CD's safe in their case and my CDrom drive empty. But there are programs that will make an exact duplicate. Havent used any in a few years.

To install, the game doesnt bother to authenticate the CD, so a crappy copy or image will work for installing. But when you play the game, the copy protection checks the CD to see if certain factors are present.

See if you can copy all the files off all the CDs (or DVD) to a folder on your desktop. If they copy ok, go ahead and run the setup from that folder on your harddrive.
Ekhos

Post by Ekhos »

Did you try turning off your firewall before playing multiplayer?
Charger

Post by Charger »

What does your event log say when these problems happen?
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Ash2Dust wrote:
When you used your friends CD, did you install with it, or just play?
I installed but played with my disc
Last edited by matsif on Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Ekhos wrote:Did you try turning off your firewall before playing multiplayer?
my firewall never gave me any problems before
Ekhos

Post by Ekhos »

My 1942 locked up because of my Firewall
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

matsif wrote:
Ash2Dust wrote: 3) Can you borrow a friends CD's or image and install from them? (use your unique CD key on your manual)
if image means copy how would you do that? I thought they did something to discs to not allow them to get copied
Some companies have, but it is expensive technology that must be rewritten constantly to keep ahead of the hacks and cracks, so it is still very rare to have a game disc that cannot be copied. EA games has gotten around that copy thing by requiring you to identify yourself and your possesion of a game cd everytime you logon to a server to play.

I always had the opinion that media protection was pointless and against the very real(at least in North America) right a buyer has to backup his software.

BF42 and BF2 are considered extremely easy to duplicate by anyone who has spent any time studying the art. I can tell you how I do it and have done it, but not in a public forum. It draws tard do-gooders like flies to horse droppings. I would rather not have that argument again, thank you.

PM me if you want the details mate.

Winter :D
ImageImage