BF2 Expansion Pack Details

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

RTR came out with 1.3 on the CD. I think SW was 1.45? Anyways, it was well after a year when RTR came out.

If you think BF42 was smoother than BF2 then you either didn't play before 1.2 or you don't remember how ist was then. BF2 is actually much more stable, has fewer video and sound problems and is more balanced than BF42 was at the same point.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Shrapnel wrote:RTR came out with 1.3 on the CD. I think SW was 1.45? Anyways, it was well after a year when RTR came out.

If you think BF42 was smoother than BF2 then you either didn't play before 1.2 or you don't remember how ist was then. BF2 is actually much more stable, has fewer video and sound problems and is more balanced than BF42 was at the same point.
I second that, much smoother and graphically superior in every way visible to this viewer, anyways.
ImageImage
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

BF2 runs alot better than bf:v. bf42 came out too long ago for me to remember. :P

Actually bf42 was rough but 1.2 was out pretty dam quick and worked good.

PLus bf42 was like this awesome type of game I had never played before so rough spots and bugs were totally forgiven. I was too busy being amazed I could take off in a plane from an aircraft carrier and bail out when I was hit and land in a tank and drive away while shelling all in front of me.

Now alot of the stuff doesn't have the same wow factor so smoothness and polish are things one cares about alot more than before - at least I do.

Anyway it seems like 1.01 fixed all that nasty warpage and the game plays alot better on larger servers now.

btw, RTR came out about 6 months after bf42 was released.
kev

Post by kev »

As it was pointed out to me the exspansion being announced is a bad thing in general, the Development team will have been moved onto making the exspansion now, with a very little team working on bf2.

all assets will go on that as it will generate cash, fixing bugs dont make cash unfortunetly
Reactive

Post by Reactive »

i guess we can see where EAs priorities are... lets hope they never manage to buy out the consumer loving developers like Valve and their wonderful Steam system that releases new updates for the game on a weekly basis... free of charge
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

NOOOOOO!!!!!
EA and Valve Team Up to Deliver Half Life Games

Electronic Arts and Valve, the award-winning studio behind the blockbuster franchises Half-Life and Counter-Strike, announced today that the two companies have entered a multi-year agreement to deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide. The first two games to be released under this agreement are Half-Life 2: Game of the Year and Counter-Strike: Source for PC, both launching this fall. In addition, Half-Life 2 for Xbox, currently in development at Valve and targeted for release in October, will be published and distributed worldwide by EA.

“At EA Partners, our mandate is to seek out the world’s top studios and game franchises, build partnerships, empower the development teams and help get these great games to more people in more countries than ever before. We consider Half-Life and Counter-Strike to be two of the best game franchises of all time,” said Tom Frisina, Vice President and General Manager, EA Partners.

“We could not be more excited to have the opportunity to help deliver these outstanding games to players around the globe.”

“EA is the worldwide leader in bringing best of breed games, for all platforms, to market,” said Gabe Newell, Valve’s founder and president. “Valve games have sold over 18 million units at retail since Half-Life shipped in November 1998. By combining EA’s unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve’s award-winning development teams and games community, we’ve established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world.”

Half-Life 2: Game of the Year is a special edition release of the best-selling and critically acclaimed title that includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, plus Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, and Half-Life: Source.

Counter-Strike: Source takes the world’s number one online action game to new heights atop the Source engine with brilliant graphics, enhanced versions of the classic CS maps, all-new CS maps, offline skirmish play with AI bots, and more. It also includes Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Day of Defeat™: Source.

Half Life 2 for the Xbox system defines a new benchmark in console gaming with startling realism and responsiveness. Powered by Source technology, Half-Life 2 for Xbox features the most sophisticated in-game characters ever witnessed, advanced AI, stunning graphics and physical gameplay.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
DrZoidberg

Post by DrZoidberg »

Oh, no. I hope this relationship doesn't end up like Westwood and EA did. Weswood was outsourced by EA and then 1 C&C was released, and many agree the new C&C wasn't very good.

God, I hope the HL series doesn't go the same way.
syL

Post by syL »

FEAR EA :)

But I doubt Valve gave up control over their IP, they have a pretty good sense for business.
Dedicated to the Steelworkers of America. Keep reaching for that rainbow!
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

The company that really got hammered by EA is Maxis. The only project those guys have released in years is the sims. Whatever happened to all those sim-city/life/tower/farm/etc. games? Those were very ground breaking when they came out, and now they are virtually non-existant. Except for all those aweful tycoon games.
Don_Quix

Post by Don_Quix »

Shrapnel wrote:NOOOOOO!!!!!
Yeah right...I'll believe that when Macintoshes are running on Intel hardwa....d'oh!

NOOOOOO!!!!!

The End Times are truly upon us.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

simTower was possibly the coolest game ever made. Right alongside Ants of course 8O
Don_Quix

Post by Don_Quix »

Heh. I remember SimTower. That game ruled.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is surprisingly entertaining too. Especially when you over-power the coasters and launch all the passengers off the rails 500 feet in the air at 150mph :twisted:
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Umm...hold on Reactive, did you have some wierd psychic knowledge, or were you being sarcastic, or do you have some wierd kind of hypnotic suggesstion, yes, I sound like a dumbass, but it could be in another post that i haven't made it too and you're referring to that...

...cause umm...shite...I somewhat thought VALVe was pretty sweet...It's like IBM, Microsoft, Novell, Linux, DELL, Alienware, and Baskin-Robbins all merging into one evil corporate empire of evilness that is greater than the greatest evilness of evil.

Shrapnel, Don...know how to make IEDs? Might be time to do a Terminator on EA Labs here. :P
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Cheesy wrote:simTower was possibly the coolest game ever made. Right alongside Ants of course 8O
ANTS! That was the one I couldn't remember. Man, that was the best one too. I spent many hours in front of my old Mac LC leading my colony's invasion of suberbia. :)

I don't think the company that made the Rollercoaster Tycoon games is the same one behind all those others. You are right that that one is actually pretty good. As is Railroad Tycoon.
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

...but SimLawn was the most extreme of all...yeah!

...dead serious there was a sim lawn game for the Atari.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage