ArmA 2

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

HumanSpeedbumpAK

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

Looks like I'll have to wait till the 26th to play mine. Not sure if I trust this website, I've never heard of it. Anyone bought from them before? I'll wait and see as the release gets closer if anyone else is selling it stateside that I am more familiar with. Excited!

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

It's in Australia, they should work good from what i got told by some Ozzies.
But as Ed wrote in FFTF forums, the packaging might not look that shiny anymore when it arrives in the states :wink:

But have a look here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php ... tcount=166
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.p ... ost1290549
PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

First impressions are great!
- Campaign is unplayable and impossible to complete due to many scripting errors, broken checkpoints and "missing file" errors.
- Many people can't get game to install.
- bugged pathfinding sometimes makes it impossible to meet NPC´s needed for missions as the NPC´s are not where they are supposed to be but instead are wandering through the woods, lost with their own pathfinding routines
- Missions are reported "failed", even if the player hasn´t even picked the mission yet.
- Motorcycles that have fallen on the ground can´t be used again
- Ingame performance on a Core2Duo @3,16 GHz, 3 GB RAM, Gerforce 8800 GTS 512 MB
is not that satisfying. There are freezes during gaming.
- enemy AI can see through foliage; the higher the detail settings (the more foliage on display) the more you are at a disadvantage
- bugs already in the tutorial missions: translation mistakes; AI doesn't react at one time, reacts way too earlier the next time; firing the Javelin launches the sights along with the missile (!)
- neither the manual nor the tutorials provide a sufficient introduction to many of the game's features
- AI soldier doesn't react to his squadmate getting shot right next to him
- robot-like precision of injured AI enemies, can pinpoint your location in a heartbeat; seems unfair and not very life-like
- attack chopper crashes into the ground on attack approach (editor)
- AI: often doesn't react at all, won't follow orders
- missions: scripts get screwed up, script error messages appear, missions won't proceed, important characters don't appear; mission Manhattan not completable
- clipping errors
- horrible (german) subtitles and translation
- lots of crashes
- Arma2 is Arma1 with a Graphics update + new island and units - not more not less.
- On top of it its pretty bugged or feels some sort of "incomplete" to me, to much variation in quality and so on. In SP there are no big show-stoppers but in MP i already had a couple of CTDs after a like 10 minute long JIP Phase.
- Many scripts in the stock MP missions are bugged, very often i got messages like "You can not play this mission because it depends on downloadable content that has been removed: CA_particleeffects" and various other core "addons".
- No AA settings. Instead you have "Fillrate optimiser" which is like AA (100% = no AA, 150% = 2xFSAA, 200% = 4xFSAA) only it's much more demanding.
- AI is still very stupid. So far i could not see the benefits of the Mirco AI - and i have a Quadcore with 3.4GHz....
- View distance is a major FPS killer. I set mine to 1200 for maximum performance
- Setting model details too high will really kill performance in city areas.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

you wrote that yourself Pink?
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

.Sup wrote:you wrote that yourself Pink?
Nein! I c/p it from some ARMA community.

German magazine PC Action tested it and gave it 4 out of 10.
Looks promising!
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

BUGZ!
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

The single player HD Vid looked pretty good but I saw a lot of things in the MP HD Vid that I really didn't like. Hopefully that is footage of a beta copy of the game and not the release client because it is awefully buggy and the foliage is terrible. What is the point in adding all those super pretty looking bushes and grass and stuff if you have them magically fold to the ground when people prone near them? And reloading after you are already dead? hahaha

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

You can buy it on Steam now.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

PinkAss wrote:
.Sup wrote:you wrote that yourself Pink?
Nein! I c/p it from some ARMA community.

German magazine PC Action tested it and gave it 4 out of 10.
Looks promising!
4 of 10? Ouch! Did they mention why? That's a painful little score there :?
Hi!
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

because of several BUGZ!
graphic issues, not available AI, ...
here is a german video which lists some of the issues
http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685486/ArmA-2 ... e/PC/News/

for example in the first scene the soldier can't get into the jeep, or enemies running through houses, your fellow soldiers can't really drive, ...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

hah those PC Action guys and their humor :D Everything buggy in the article is about SP, which is sure nice to have but the real thing is MP i think. SP and AI and Navmeshes (oe similar) can't be totally flawless if you don't want it to be an ARMA Forever ;-) Prolly they will have to patch it step by step...and Arma5 will be out when we all have 128 Core CPU's and the AI is using 64 of them :lol:

Remember buy Games after the first patch is released ;-)
AusbilderSchmidt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by AusbilderSchmidt »

WOW

Here u can see a battle 750 vs 750 (with KI)... 8O 8O unbelivable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU
[IMG]https:///images/210831/.jpg[/IMG]
C7:CPL C8:MAJ C9:SFC C10:COL C11:TA C13:SGT
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Those 700x700 are pure AI - just a Dice game in Code - nothing visual and prolly not a task that's taking a lot of cpu and ram...more impressing would be a top-down view of such armies in daylight ;-)

But nonetheless he gave us a good look into Arma2 with his vids, especially cuz he told his sys specs...i love that 2man night vision mission ...
AusbilderSchmidt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: ArmA 2

Post by AusbilderSchmidt »

A few days ago i bought Arma 2 and i like it.
I think that will be the future in online gaming with +100 Server.
Lets give it a few month time for the modders and then it will be ready with new maps and mods for many fun.

About OFP 2 i was very disappointed...that was crap for me, but for Arma 2 i can say thats it... :)
[IMG]https:///images/210831/.jpg[/IMG]
C7:CPL C8:MAJ C9:SFC C10:COL C11:TA C13:SGT