All ye filmmakers!

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: All ye filmmakers!

Post by undrt0w »

i guess. someone mentioned that was using fraps some time ago, but i think now most ppl use dxtory cuz it won't strain your hardware that much. which means less fps drops.

thx hiti...u da best!!!
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
solmartig
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by solmartig »

und3rt0w wrote:i guess. someone mentioned that was using fraps some time ago, but i think now most ppl use dxtory cuz it won't strain your hardware that much. which means less fps drops.
do you need to buy dxtory? does the files take similar amount of space as fraps does? fraps i about 1 gig 1 min pretty much so thats a lot, i still get good quality but if i can get the size a bit and if its free then i could prob try it out then pretty much everyone would have the same program and easier to edit it
C3:ImageC6Image
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

In terms of editing, the program you use to record doesn't matter. Dxtory isn't free, but neither is Fraps and Dxtory doesn't hit your framerate as much as Fraps does. If you're looking for free recording software, try MSI Afterburner.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I suppose we share the videos via youtube?

We have to encode the raw footage in some way. If we share via youtube it does not matter what format we use, since youtube re-encodes it again (except quality differences of course).

If someone uses a upload-portal then the encoding format might be more important.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Sarantini
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sarantini »

I'm guessing we will upload the final edit to youtube aswell
solmartig
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by solmartig »

Bock wrote:In terms of editing, the program you use to record doesn't matter. Dxtory isn't free, but neither is Fraps and Dxtory doesn't hit your framerate as much as Fraps does. If you're looking for free recording software, try MSI Afterburner.
well thats why i was wondering about the cost, since i already bought fraps, i normally dont have any fps drops on fraps so far, only problem is the space it takes, i would like to learn more about the sharing part of the videos on youtube, dont know much about it, maybe if some of us could sit down on ts and talk a bit more on the recording?
C3:ImageC6Image
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

How about Mega? Downloading, re-encoding, and re-uploading footage from YouTube can leave you with discoloration, artifacts and blocking (especially if you use MainConcept AVC) that will tarnish the final product. Instead, record using Dxtory/Fraps/etc., then cut and compress the raw files using Virtual Dub & Handbrake before uploading to Mega.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

expandas wrote:How about Mega? Downloading, re-encoding, and re-uploading footage from YouTube can leave you with discoloration, artifacts and blocking (especially if you use MainConcept AVC) that will tarnish the final product. Instead, record using Dxtory/Fraps/etc., then cut and compress the raw files using Virtual Dub & Handbrake before uploading to Mega.
good points.

Still, what format to encode/compress in the first place?
Kuchenfari mentioned JackFrags' settings, they seem as good as any other.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
BanzaiLang

Post by BanzaiLang »

expandas wrote:How about Mega? Downloading, re-encoding, and re-uploading footage from YouTube can leave you with discoloration, artifacts and blocking (especially if you use MainConcept AVC) that will tarnish the final product. Instead, record using Dxtory/Fraps/etc., then cut and compress the raw files using Virtual Dub & Handbrake before uploading to Mega.
This seems like the best option so far. YouTube does some horrible things to the original video file.

Also, is there some sort of format we want to follow for this video? Are we trying to do something cinematic or are we just trying to show a battleday from multiple perspectives and that's it? My suggestion is to do a mix of both. Perhaps a cinematic break out and then continue with just the raw game-play, occasionally switching back to some good looking free-cam/cinematic parts when they fit. We'll have to discuss this more once we have the footage.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

no freecam, you can use MAV footage for that.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

lets get the footage first, then decide what to do with it.
IMO lets just take some good flag fights we got from multiple perspectives including MAV and comms, and put them together. thats about it.
maybe remove some of the irrelevant CC chatter.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

if you guys are wondering, i guess this is what they say lagarith and jackfrags settings:

phpBB [video]

btw, am i the only one that doesn't have problems recording in the same hdd where bf3 is installed. actually, its the hdd is split into 2 partitions and in one i have dxtory and on the other bf3. i haven't experienced any problems with that.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

about the 720>1080 HP, i wont change my settings just for this, cuz im recording anyhow for my channel
etc. these days you can DL all from YT, if it will be worth anything you can DL it and change it...
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

und3rt0w wrote: btw, am i the only one that doesn't have problems recording in the same hdd where bf3 is installed. actually, its the hdd is split into 2 partitions and in one i have dxtory and on the other bf3. i haven't experienced any problems with that.
when recording, the HDD head is constantly required to write data to the disk.
most programs load everything to the RAM and then work from the RAM. anything needed to be read from the HDD while recording will take a lot more time then usual, due to the read/write head need to constantly write the video.
Again, BF3 supposed to load the level completely to the RAM, but other background programs / system threads occasionally read/write stuff to the HDD, resulting in FPS drops in the recording.
it really depends on your system. if you listen to music while playing, if your wallpaper changes constantly, if you have open internet pages that refresh from time to time etc... all those turn to the HDD with read/write requests.

virtually splitting the HDD to different volumes doesn't do anything. Physically there is only one (sometimes more, but we can't control whats written where so schematically we can treat it as one) disk, and one read/write head to that disk. The software makes it look like you have several volumes.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

@Necro - yeah, yeah a virtually split hdd shouldn't affect that kind of thing, i was just mentioning the setup. thx for the explanation though...now i see that prolly the reason is the few programs running in the background.

@Joker - fixed the issue with the cut off. went 100% percent scaling and worked. also, i found out that if you put 1152x720 instead of 1280x720 you get no cut off again. so, thx to you too.
Welcome Committee Member