bf3 server

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Re: bf3 server

Post by WoodenPlank »

styphon wrote:
WoodenPlank wrote: This would be excellent. Always brought a smile to my face when playing BC2 and seeing someone kicked by PBBans before they even got loaded in, since they were a known cheater.
Those messages weren't people trying to get on our server. Those messages were sent out to every server subscribed to PBBans when a player was banned from a server subscribed to PBBans.
I actually never got a chance to play BC2 on the =GC= server. :(

Was still awesome seeing the banhammer come down on people that deserved it.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Ash2Dust wrote:I only played a tiny bit on Euro servers so cant really say much about them.

Over here in NA, I really didnt notice any real difference between server providers other than location created different pings.
The game hids the lag pretty good except when you die behind cover or get hits on a target and they dont register.

We are currently de-activated at PBBans, would be nice to coordinate reactivation with them when a server is brought online. Miss the anti-hack chats between server admins and looking up player history.
Ash I am sure you checked mine too didn't you :P
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Pick the Euro server in London, the pings are A LOT faster for us in NA, (often a 30 to 40 ms difference!)
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

We're getting pretty close to release date. Any updates on ranked server purchases?
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I believe word is that Brummie is arranging the acquisition of two servers: one in US, one in EU.
Hi!
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

BF3 server docs are up.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fu ... ?id=165580

Server info indicates multiple soldiers per account, but someone from DiCE said they thought it could be a copy/paste error, since the manual is based on the BC2 manual.

Edit: This is encouraging...
Server Manual wrote:BF3 PC game servers are designed to rotate through a sequence of maps. The exact configuration is specified in the server’s internal map list. Different maps in the map list can use different game modes. (Note however, that some game modes will not work properly if there are more players on the server than the game mode is designed for.)
It also states that there will be both PBID and EAID numbers for every player, and bans can be name, IP, PBID OR EAID based.

The manual also states that unranked servers are currently INOPERABLE...
Server Manual wrote:Currently, unranked does not work correctly. All game servers will have to run ranked.
Our goal is to make unranked game servers allow full customization of the set of available weapons, regardless of the individual player progression.
Friendly fire and kill cam can both be turned on/off through server settings. Same goes for minimap, crosshairs, 3d spotting, minimap spotting, health regeneration (thank god!), and this: vars.onlySquadLeaderSpawn – when set, players can only spawn on the squad leader. :mrgreen:

The server software comes with a GUI system for controlling the server without having to use console commands.

The manual includes the required settings to be able to have players sent to your server via quickmatch. If you don't conform, your server will be available through the browser, but not quickmatch.
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

This is all awesome news assuming they fix the UNRANKED problem.

I personally love the idea of turning off the regenerating health for GC and making Squad Leader only spawns. I believe in Conquest Squad Leader only is the default, (With all-squad being the default for rush) but if it isn't I would be all for making it that way.

Customize-able weapons is awesome too so we can get rid of unbalanced weapons if any exist at release. They've announced a Day-0 Patch already that should take care of the balancing issues we complained about in the Beta anyway.

We don't need to go Unranked until the BFI and we have some time till then. I'm sure they'll iron it out by then. A big problem like that must be a primary concern.

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

The manual includes the required settings to be able to have players sent to your server via quickmatch. If you don't conform, your server will be available through the browser, but not quickmatch.
Very important that we pay attention to this. While the GC Server is in Ranked/Pub mode it -MUST- conform to those standards. QuickMatch is going to be the primary route to battle for 90% of players on Battlefield. If we want them to notice us we have to be on that QuickMatch roster.

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Dareitus wrote:
Very important that we pay attention to this. While the GC Server is in Ranked/Pub mode it -MUST- conform to those standards. QuickMatch is going to be the primary route to battle for 90% of players on Battlefield. If we want them to notice us we have to be on that QuickMatch roster.

This was the exact reason I pointed this out.

For those that don't want to download the manual, here are the settings needed to be on the quickmatch list...

vars.autobalance = true
vars.roundStartPlayerCount = 8 (need 8 people for server to go live)
vars.roundRestartPlayerCount = 4 (I assume that if you hit 4 people on server, it goes back to pre-live mode)
vars.friendlyFire = false
vars.regenerateHealth = true
vars.killCam = true
vars.miniMap = true
vars.hud = true
vars.crossHair = true
vars.3dSpotting = true

You have to match ALL of those to get on the quickmatch listings. The only one I'm not happy about from that list is health regen, but oh well.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

We'll have to delay our campaign schedule until they fix unranked.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

styphon wrote:We'll have to delay our campaign schedule until they fix unranked.

I'm hoping it won't take them very long to get it fixed.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Since we are talking about EA I am not totally optimistic. They have a long tradition to fubar things.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

sushi25 wrote:Since we are talking about EA I am not totally optimistic. They have a long tradition to fubar things.
EA isn't in control of the code. Interestingly enough, I have seen info that states that DiCE is allowing passwords on ranked servers at launch to compensate for the unranked servers not working. I give it 2 hours before we see passworded stat padding servers.
Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

Any updates on this?
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

WoodenPlank wrote:
sushi25 wrote:Since we are talking about EA I am not totally optimistic. They have a long tradition to fubar things.
EA isn't in control of the code. Interestingly enough, I have seen info that states that DiCE is allowing passwords on ranked servers at launch to compensate for the unranked servers not working. I give it 2 hours before we see passworded stat padding servers.
EA is in the drivers seat. Dice is car. Its EA's decision to drive it before its completely built.