Gentlemen Agreement

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

AlbinoKalle69

Re: Gentlemen Agreement

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

styphon wrote:It is extremely annoying and was a huge bugbear of mine in BC2. Having seen it hasn't changed I have given in and gone down the "if you can't beat them, join them" route. A gentlemen's agreement about these would be nice, but how do you enforce such an agreement?
Well, I'm not sure about that. Like I said, I don't mind getting killed by a rocket from time to time but if it's always the same guy and it happens not only once, I'm starting to get pissed. During the campaign it's up to the generals to set the rules (like Sup said).
Isn't it possible to set up some basic rules for the GC server?

Imo rpg kills don't have anything to do with skill. If I want to use a rocket launcher on infantery I play TF2 where it is also possible to avoid rockets.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

There's no way to customise the server to reduce rocket damage AFAIK.
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

There were a lot of gentlemens on the battlefield yesterday, no rpg incidents :)
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

There were a few, didnt bother me tho.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

AlbinoKalle69 wrote:There were a lot of gentlemens on the battlefield yesterday, no rpg incidents :)
There were a lot of RPGs on Seine when we played conquest. Started by .sups team when they were pinned into their base.
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

While the SMAW and and the like are shaped charge AT weapons, the RPG-7 really is a dual purposed AT/AP weapon, used primarily in modern conflicts to do just what it does in BF3 - knock out scores of infantry gathered in tight areas. Trust me, Al Qaeda loved rocket spam.

Personally, I think they went this way the with the RPG-7 as an authenticity/realism thing, and the SMAW was made more grenade like to balance.

I think a lightly enforced general's agreement along the lines of "Use em when appropriate/desired - but the SMAW/RPG-7 should be a tactical option used when necessary, not someones primary AP Weapon." I wasn't there yeterday but it sounds like most the GC'ers (like the Mortar problem) tend to play gentlemanly when possible anyway.

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

styphon wrote:
AlbinoKalle69 wrote:There were a lot of gentlemens on the battlefield yesterday, no rpg incidents :)
There were a lot of RPGs on Seine when we played conquest. Started by .sups team when they were pinned into their base.
Doh, I was on Sups team :oops: . But I can assure you it wasn't me :)
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

styphon wrote:
If you are looking for a tank and infantry comes along, even u wouldnt switch weapons, would you?
On the other hand i was killed by snipers from time to time. And a shotgun, which seems to shoot rockets. And by Rob and his .... lets say SKILLS! (;))
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

I too think Rob should stop using his skills. It's very discouraging to those of us that don't have any.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Robawillis
Executive
Executive

Post by Robawillis »

Shrapnel wrote:I too think Rob should stop using his skills. It's very discouraging to those of us that don't have any.
I apologies now and forehand for my skills can't be helped. But I disagree with I saw no RPG's being primarily used against infantry. I saw them even before Seine crossing. This I can see is going to be very hard to enforce at this rate. I do agree that yes an RPG is great to clear the building surface to open up the cover but to be consistently used of which I saw I have disagree on. But all well guess we shall see what happens next battle day.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Die by any weapon over and over and it becomes discouraging. Mortars stand out more because it creates more of a WTF and then instant hate.
Mortars on Saturday were decently countered by other mortars. I fired some on the city map, but it wasnt productive any more when I started receiving counter mortar fire.

Seems there are a couple spots here and there on a couple maps where a mortar guy can make himself immune to counter mortar. I'll agree its crossed into the exploit definition when counter mortar is impossible.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Chefcook wrote:
styphon wrote:
If you are looking for a tank and infantry comes along, even u wouldnt switch weapons, would you?
On the other hand i was killed by snipers from time to time. And a shotgun, which seems to shoot rockets. And by Rob and his .... lets say SKILLS! (;))
Sure, if you're near the tank you expect to occasionally be killed by RPGs. But when your tank is on the other side of the map and you have a whole squad of enemy players RPG'ing you there's no excuse. They had one aim and one aim only.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I too hate being RPG-ed and mortared and all that stuff, but it's part of the game, and before ppl start shouting "Balance!" and "Rules!" try to figure out how to counter them, and if it's absolutely impossible because they are overpowered or becoming so abnoxious then we can talk about balance and rules. I didn't notice much RPG-ing on the last Saturday and I don't think it will be a problem in the future because most of the ppl share the same opinion that AT is for anit-tank purposes and sometimes building demolishing.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Mordred
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Mordred »

There are quite a few more ways to deliver explosives from range in BF3 than just the rpg's and mortars, most of them can also easily be spammed.
I've read through this thread and in a lot of examples you could replace the rocket with any other type of explosive, would it be ok if instead of a rocket someone would use a hand grenade, the M320 or a tank shell?

In my opinion there is a big difference between the spamming of explosives in close spaces and the tactical use of an explosive to gain an advantage.
The first you see a lot in Operation Metro, Damavand Peak and Grand Bazaar and it is simply used to deny your opponent a certain passageway or to get easy kills. Regardless of what you use, this is the type of behavior that doesn't belong in GC.
However if you do see a group of opponents bunched together then by all means, fire that rocket because they deserve it for presenting you with a target of opportunity.
Also, if you start shooting at someone, don't go complain when they shoot back with whatever they have in their hands at the moment.
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Deny passageway. Thats my biggest complaint about armor that spam chokepoints. Armor is basically rocket spammers big brother. APCs fire off 10 rounds in the same time it takes for a soldier to reload an RPG.