I could be dense, couldn't easily access info for tourney.

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

fawkernot

I could be dense, couldn't easily access info for tourney.

Post by fawkernot »

I checked the tourney information board for the game time. At first I couldn't find it, then tried to do some backwards math with your countdown timer on the board. Finally, I found the time written on the initial sign up thread you had stickied there.

Just from a new person's perspective, I thought I'd find that info with it's own stickie in that board, or on the main page.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Re: I could be dense, couldn't easily access info for tourne

Post by .Sup »

Would it be helpfull if the countdown timer included the exact date? Eg:

Code: Select all

Saturday, Feb. 25th
Time left to battle
1 day, 20 hr, 15 min, 5 sec
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

That sounds like a good idea .Sup.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Think he was saying he wanted to easily find the exact time the battle starts, not how long until or what day.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

fawkernot wrote:I checked the tourney information board for the game time. At first I couldn't find it, then tried to do some backwards math with your countdown timer on the board. Finally, I found the time written on the initial sign up thread you had stickied there.

Just from a new person's perspective, I thought I'd find that info with it's own stickie in that board, or on the main page.
You came from reddit. The post on reddit contains the battle times.
Every Saturday, 2 armies fight, 32v32, on our private BF3 servers. Battledays last 6 hours, but you can come and go as you please. Standard battle time is 10am-6pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST / 1800-Midnight GMT / 19:00-01:00 CET.
I am sure the time is written in many places all over our forums too, most definitely in the new recruits section.

The whole purpose of the countdown clock is to give you an even easier way of finding out when the battle is in your time zone. Hence why we use SBT.

@ Sup, don't touch the countdown clock. 250+ ppl found their way just fine to our TS with it being how it is at the right time.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I don't think it would hurt to add a little additional info about battle start time on the countdown clock, assuming it doesn't change how the current one looks/works.

I have to admit that when I first came over to GC I was having a hard time getting around. Then again, I did have a monkey general showing me the ropes.
Hi!
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Indeed. The change .Sup suggested to the clock is a good one and doesn't negatively affect it at all.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

I know how you feel. I've had the same problems at lots of different tournies that I've visited over the years. However, we implemented this viewtopic.php?f=263&t=14835 many moons ago to overcome this, at least we had hoped. I would actually like more feedback on how to improve first impressions, so your comments are welcome and not dense in the slightest.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

eh, that subject works. But as a vet with way too may topics and new posts, I would have been hard pressed to find it.
A count down clock does work. Thing is he found it, and didnt know what time or day without reverse engineering.
With every post, our cunning planning may be washed out.r
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Ash2Dust wrote:eh, that subject works. But as a vet with way too may topics and new posts, I would have been hard pressed to find it.
A count down clock does work. Thing is he found it, and didnt know what time or day without reverse engineering.
With every post, our cunning planning may be washed out.r
Yea, even I had to look for it, but its there. We sometimes need to remember how confusing it can be to come to new site.

So how can we direct someone who is completely new to read that post when they first get here.
Zaitsev Jr.

Post by Zaitsev Jr. »

BRUMMIE wrote: So how can we direct someone who is completely new to read that post when they first get here.
Depends on the flexibility of the forum structure. Having a few more topic specific sub directories would not hurt.

For starters, a Sticky Topic in "Tournament Information and Announcements" - labeled "Campaign Details" or"Battle Schedule" or similar seems appropriate. In there, a short Introduction of how, when and where the Global Conflict Campaign takes place and maybe even a few direct links to the critical steps that need to be performed as well as an organisational structure or points of contact.
Last edited by Zaitsev Jr. on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am only responsible for what i write,
not what you understand.
C9:ImageC10:ImageC13:Image
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Include the Battlecountdown into the picture of the forum above.
(if possible) :twisted:
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

I went a step further and added timezones. This has not been applied to the site yet but here is a preview:

Zaitsev Jr.

Post by Zaitsev Jr. »

Nice.
I am only responsible for what i write,
not what you understand.
C9:ImageC10:ImageC13:Image
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

IMO it just complicates stuff and you can't tell for what is the countdown exactly.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General