Re: Vote 3D spotting On or Off

Post by dan1mall »

Voted for off cuz it makes the game moar pretty
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

mrBLUE9 wrote:Except koffein, I think he should be expelled and put into a boat in the ocean
You spent way too much time with Fields...

But yeah, voted off. Even though it makes air support trickier, it also adds more need for good communication, which is more GCy. The best jet pilot can't do anything without good info on the location of his target.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

I was agitating for "on" before but in the spirit of science I voted for off. No point in doing what I'm comfortable with. Let's see how it works out.
ImageImageImage
bigdcowboys22
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by bigdcowboys22 »

I'm still concerned about SOFLAMs and mobile AA being extremely difficult to locate and destroy with 3d off. As an occational chopper person my vote is still for it ON until we can address these concerns.
Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.

Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve.
Rev0lver3

Post by Rev0lver3 »

matsif wrote:I believe Gwynzer's option is the best option for a good compromise (especially with the addition of infantry only versions of maps this campaign), but as it is not an option I voted on.

edit: for informational purposes, there would be a max of 11 out of 42 maps used this campaign where we would have it on if the compromise case was used, and it might be smaller than that as I'm not sure if a few of those 11 maps actually still get jets on the conquest 32 versions.
Sorry, but I find the idea of a middle way kinda stupid. We can't have double standards, it doesn't even make sense. 3D spotting should be either on or off for every map. Personally I voted on, since I mostly fly jets.

Also I want to address people who voted "off" just for fun, or because it makes the game realistic:

This game will never be absolutely realistic, weather 3D spotting is on or off, and I would like to state that for the duration of C3 I don't want to hear any complains about how the air force doesn't do it's job or something like that. We had enough trouble with C2 as it was, now everything will be twice as harder for us. Please refrain from making any comments about the air force effectiveness or some of the pilots may strap a couple of C4's on their jets and head straight for our nearest squad.

Thank you. That is all.
Róka

Post by Róka »

This is what I was hoping for. Y'know, just have 3D spotting ON on the Jet Maps. Seriously, SOFLAMS are one thing but I remember on our first Firestorm conquest, the Mobile AA was almost invisible, and that's because it should be just a huge black tank on a yellow desert landscape.
Gwynzer wrote:I would like to offer a 3rd option, which is having it turned on for "air" (jets, not helis) maps, but off for others.

I'm an infantry person, the only time I fly during Bf3 is in order to do airdrops, but I recognise how massive the change in the game is for air/jet players. Armour can manage without 3D spotting, for infantry combat (at least my style which is "hide") is much better with it off, but jets can seriously struggle.

If were possible to only vote for 3D spotting enabled for jets themselves that'd be my vote, but I know that isn't doable. This is the next best thing, even if it will slightly dull the infantry experience for jet maps.

If it does end up going to OFF on ALL maps, then these are my thoughts as well:
Rev0lver3 wrote: This game will never be absolutely realistic, weather 3D spotting is on or off, and I would like to state that for the duration of C3 I don't want to hear any complains about how the air force doesn't do it's job or something like that. We had enough trouble with C2 as it was, now everything will be twice as harder for us. Please refrain from making any comments about the air force effectiveness or some of the pilots may strap a couple of C4's on their jets and head straight for our nearest squad.

Thank you. That is all.
ImageImage
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

My whole reason for voting 3d-off is I thought vehicles were too powerful vs. infantry. So for me, that compromise is the worst possible setup. I like 3d spotting on inf only :P

As for the SOFLAMs -- I think this makes a good tactical challenge for both armies. How do you deal w/ soflams when they don't glow for the chopper. It might take more MAVs, sharper communications (how do I describe a particular spot in a crane on gulf of oman over TS?), dedicated anti-soflam squads, or something else. I'd like to see how our armies do.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Cheesy wrote:My whole reason for voting 3d-off is I thought vehicles were too powerful vs. infantry. So for me, that compromise is the worst possible setup. I like 3d spotting on inf only :P
what Cheesy said. Having it on for air maps only is even worse than having it always on.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

I stand with my opinion that air should not be dominating the ground, if the enemy air is dominating the ground it's because we have a balance problem, nothing to do with 3D spotting. Almost all of the time air and armor should be cancelling themselves out, if one air side is dominating we should look into balancing the two sides.
But I mainly voted on because of this:
Chefcook wrote:Too blind for Doritoless Play.
:lol:
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

As far as soflams are concerned...

They're virtually indestructable from airborne armaments short of a TV missile. And infantry can lock onto them with a javelin and take them out. I'm not particularly invested in either side. I just thought I'd point that out since such a big deal is being made about soflams.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

well, my opinion on the matter is: if we turn 3d off then there won't be doritos but then again if we leave it on there will be doritos....

*confusius at his best
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
ChiPore

Post by ChiPore »

I just wish everyone could be as happy as I am on a regular basis.

Is there anyway we could turn the rainbows on and the uniforms off?
much love to be had in that situation.

Don't shoot me, I'm just sayin'.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Don't worry chef, I know you need the doritos. I, of course, voted for off. I hate them, always have, thought DICE made one of the worst decisions ever in adding them in the game and will be glad to see them off for C3, and hopefully every campaign in the future.

I'm happy air will be playing less of a role this campaign. Too often last campaign air just flew over and ruined best laid plans all too easily. I know you guys have it tough against the mobile AA and the soflam's and tanks with lasers, but I think the guys on the ground have it harder when you come storming in and clear everyone out.

Learn to use that minimap guys.
Gamma009

Post by Gamma009 »

Bock wrote:As far as soflams are concerned...

They're virtually indestructable from airborne armaments short of a TV missile. And infantry can lock onto them with a javelin and take them out. I'm not particularly invested in either side. I just thought I'd point that out since such a big deal is being made about soflams.
And sometimes not even javelins can kill them - for me, only 1 javelin in 5 actually destroys a soflam...the other four just seem to go right through.
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

Personally, I think 3d spotting is good for BF3 (though I would change some implementation stuff) but the reasoning is not relevant to GC. Without 3d spotting there is almost no method of conveying enemy locations to pubbies. The minimap just doesn't have the same range or enemy where near a similar capacity that one has in real life.

So yeah, I'm still very undecided. The general feel I get is: infantry likes no 3d spotting, armour is mixed, and air wants 3d spotting. I'm clear on why air likes 3d spotting, but I'm not clear on why infantry really cares, especially in air maps. I think it improves infantry play, not significantly, but I don't think it would hurt to enable it only on air maps.

Air is really hurt by a lack of 3d spotting, and as of now they are really fraking weak regardless. The air domination was mostly when the patch was unbalanced. DICE has nerfed rocket pods massively and buffed the AA so I really don't see helping out the air as bad thing. As far as I can tell, jets can only kill me if I'm already in a fight, or they both do a pass on me. A single jet cannot beat a tank like it could in the older patch.

As for tanks, I rely massively on minimap awareness so it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, I'm voting on because I think it hurts air too much. It feels like you're ruining the game for those players that are in the air because the ground wants marginally better gameplay.