Battlefield 3 Alpha ground desctruction

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

fawadforlan

Battlefield 3 Alpha ground desctruction

Post by fawadforlan »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnihf8N_bs[/youtube]
I didn't know that the ground destruction in BF3 Alpha was looking so good.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Battlefield 3 Alpha ground desctruction

Post by Hitman47 »

yea, wonder what happened to "fully destructable environment"........totally forgot that that was one of the key marketing points of BF3 at the beginning.

And what are those "brick wall sliding" sounds when he throws down C4??? :lol:
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

I suspect this was the thing that caused me being able to crawl under the ground in the beta. My guess is they couldn't get it to work right allowing people to crawl under areas that hadn't been hollowed out like that yet. Got rid of it but accidently left portions of the map where the under layer still technically existed. Kinda wish they had found a way to get it to work all the way up to the final product.

Imagine Gulf of Oman use mortars to create trenches step by step that your army can run cover to cover in to get across the open desert. Would have been legit.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Wi1D_K4rD wrote:I suspect this was the thing that caused me being able to crawl under the ground in the beta. My guess is they couldn't get it to work right allowing people to crawl under areas that hadn't been hollowed out like that yet. Got rid of it but accidently left portions of the map where the under layer still technically existed. Kinda wish they had found a way to get it to work all the way up to the final product.

Imagine Gulf of Oman use mortars to create trenches step by step that your army can run cover to cover in to get across the open desert. Would have been legit.

You're right, and I'm sure they are able to fix that problem. But I heard that the reason they didn't fix it, was because it would take too much time and money to get it fixed. So they just simply reduced (removed) the ground destruction.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Hitman47 wrote:yea, wonder what happened to "fully destructable environment"........totally forgot that that was one of the key marketing points of BF3 at the beginning.
that was an original marketing point of bf2, until they released the demo of Gulf of Oman 64 for the public and said "we can't do it yet, sorry"
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Hitman47 wrote:yea, wonder what happened to "fully destructable environment"........totally forgot that that was one of the key marketing points of BF3 at the beginning.

And what are those "brick wall sliding" sounds when he throws down C4??? :lol:
I don't know what happened. Alpha had awesome ground destruction, awesome VO and no blue tint.

Then they released the beta, which somehow was worse then the alpha. Ground destruction made you fall through the ground and there were alot of glitches that didn't even exist in the alpha.
http://youtu.be/cBUUDFiwEKw?hd=1&t=1m58s Here's some examples of the VO and FX.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Ground destruction would add so many tactics for us on GC. Imagine making a big tunnel in the ground to use it as a bunker for infantry, so that they could mount their weapon on the edge. Or we make a big hole in the groun which goes downhill, so we can drive a tank in it (and of course again out of it). And the tank could just shoot enemy tanks from there, and it would be very hard to get hit by enemy tanks. :)
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

From what I've heard/read, DICE believes that altering the game environment can have too great an impact on game balance. This also implies that the maps are balanced in the first place, which is a pretty laughable concept for bf3 (Most of the time).