Signature creator

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Signature creator

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Now that ABC automatically creates a signature for you (again), i figured that it might look weird if you combine old ribbons from campaigns without this system with these signatures. So i made a small script that creates signatures of the same style with old ribbons, like you can see in my extremely awesome signature.

You can find it here: http://koffeinflummi.de/GC/signature/

Simply put links to all the ribbon image files you got in the box, seperating them with a ";". If you got a certain ribbon twice or more, simply copy the link a few times and like in ABC, stars will be added. Keep in mind that all images are resized to 37 x 13 px, like in ABC, so some ribbons like the ones DARK had might look weird.
The image created is temporary, so you need to download it and upload it somewhere else, like imgur.

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, so feel free to move it into another forum.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Re: Signature creator

Post by StarfisherEcho »

This is probably a good place to randomly ask that ribbon height be doubled to 26px. 13 basically limits you to bars of color with indeterminate blobs on them.
ImageImageImage
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

1) ribbons should be bigger
2) well, as you said its only makes a temp image. i'd like it if it would simply draw every ribbon as a standalone image with description, so when you hover your mouse over it, it'll say what that ribbon means.
its nice and all, but the most important thing about the ribbon - its meaning - is lost.
i look at your ribbons and i don't know what they mean, and im not going to dig it up in the archives, so it doesn't mean much.

its not hard to do. all ribbons should have standard size. HQ uplaods the ribbon with description, and for every user, it gives out forum image links to all ribbons assigned to that user. this way it doesn't generate a unique image for every user. everyone who has ribbon X actually link to the same single image.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

StarfisherEcho wrote:This is probably a good place to randomly ask that ribbon height be doubled to 26px. 13 basically limits you to bars of color with indeterminate blobs on them.
definitely agree. Good job Flummi, you are making ABC feel better by the day.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Well done.
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Nice, but somebody should post that imgur link with all the old ribbons.
Flummi, you gave it to me today in TS, can you post it here please?
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Hgx wrote:Nice, but somebody should post that imgur link with all the old ribbons.
These are the PRIDe ribbons if you mean those: http://imgur.com/a/sxdFG
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Necromancer wrote:1) ribbons should be bigger
2) well, as you said its only makes a temp image. i'd like it if it would simply draw every ribbon as a standalone image with description, so when you hover your mouse over it, it'll say what that ribbon means.
its nice and all, but the most important thing about the ribbon - its meaning - is lost.
i look at your ribbons and i don't know what they mean, and im not going to dig it up in the archives, so it doesn't mean much.

its not hard to do. all ribbons should have standard size. HQ uplaods the ribbon with description, and for every user, it gives out forum image links to all ribbons assigned to that user. this way it doesn't generate a unique image for every user. everyone who has ribbon X actually link to the same single image.
I don't know about the size. I think it would make signatures too big if you have more than a few campaigns worth of ribbons. A good middleground would be to simply offer multiple sizes: The current one and maybe a one double the size.

I think that most people just like to show off ribbons (now that i write it out it sounds incredibly douchy), they don't need the meaning. I would like fancy stuff like a popup and a thing exactly like that will be in the new ABC update, but it is impossible to put that in a signature. The PRIDe ribbon had emblems to show the meaning of ribbons, so if that is important for people they could use a bigger version of the sig (if that is something we would do).

The ABC image is permanent BTW, only the image in my little script is temporary.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

just as you said, it sounds lame.
i'd like to have my ribbons in my signature, but without the meaning - its meaningless.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

13px is what they were for BF2, which is why they are that size for this version. It worked well before, I see no reason that it doesn't work well here too. Nice work Flumi :).
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

It only allows for bars of color as ribbons/medals. So, if you want to make something that isn't a set of vertical bars, it inevitably comes out like crap. IE all my medals. I know gc is super traditionalist and all, but this is a case where a minute change that won't hurt anyone would improve things substantially. 13 px is just not a lot to work with.

A compromise would be to allow current campaign ribbons to use 26px while old campaign ribbons could shrink to 13. This way you could still fit roughly 9 campaigns worth of ribbons in a 150px sig if you wanted to.
ImageImageImage
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

StarfisherEcho wrote:It only allows for bars of color as ribbons/medals. So, if you want to make something that isn't a set of vertical bars, it inevitably comes out like crap. IE all my medals. I know gc is super traditionalist and all, but this is a case where a minute change that won't hurt anyone would improve things substantially. 13 px is just not a lot to work with.

A compromise would be to allow current campaign ribbons to use 26px while old campaign ribbons could shrink to 13. This way you could still fit roughly 9 campaigns worth of ribbons in a 150px sig if you wanted to.
The idea is you have a medal, that's where you get creative, with a ribbon at the top. They're styled on real medals and ribbons. Then you have the vertical ribbon on it's own for your medal bar, as real military's do.

I don't see the point in changing something that works well. And on a personal level, I don't like the idea of changing the ribbons, they're a GC tradition and one that I really don't think should be changed. Not to mention I personally prefer a more realistic military theme.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

styphon wrote:The idea is you have a medal, that's where you get creative, with a ribbon at the top. They're styled on real medals and ribbons. Then you have the vertical ribbon on it's own for your medal bar, as real military's do.

I don't see the point in changing something that works well. And on a personal level, I don't like the idea of changing the ribbons, they're a GC tradition and one that I really don't think should be changed. Not to mention I personally prefer a more realistic military theme.
I think that ribbons should obviously be simple representations for the more complicated and fancy medals, but i also think that 13px is a bit restrictive to the creative freedom of the armies. Maybe simply offering one signature with 13px and one with 26px would be ok. Maybe even one with 52px. Or is storage capacity an issue?
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

is it possible to add this bbcode:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2168672
in order to post images with description?
Last edited by Necromancer on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:
Hgx wrote:Nice, but somebody should post that imgur link with all the old ribbons.
These are the PRIDe ribbons if you mean those: http://imgur.com/a/sxdFG
Ah, the good ol' PRIDe ribbons!
Image[/url]