Encouraging more people to record battledays and post

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

daskro
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Encouraging more people to record battledays and post

Post by daskro »

In the last campaign a handful of people recorded / livestreamed regularly but not much was done with the footage in part because it wasn't disseminated that well until the end of the campaign.

I want to encourage everyone, especially the air crews to record their footage and post it. I know there are reservations about what could be said over comms or what tactics/strats could be given away but such footage can be used to make some really great content for GC.

Here is an example I did recently with 4 povs from an 8v8 nations cup match with 2 povs from air crews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EVS_LTxmo

You'll notice I had a co-commentator in this footage. I am more than happy to have someone from GC commentate on GC battleday matches. It doesn't require any special hardware or software, just the ability to play a video and to jump on team speak, I do the rest.

Granted more POVs makes it a bit more difficult for the co-commentator but still quite doable.

If anyone is interested please let me know.
Sao
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Encouraging more people to record battledays and post

Post by Sao »

I will record when I get a better upload speed (0.3mbps is crap) and upload. But till then I dare not kill my internet!

However who would you want co-commentating? The recorder of the vid? Special guest each week? A set person (who has one of those sexual voices?

Also isn't this quite similar to GC Tv?
dek0y
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dek0y »

We had a blanket ban in Gladius on posting VOD's publically after I posted something mildly incriminating :/ Hopefully this campaign both armies will be cool with publicly posting footage. I've got my stream all set up now, so I'll be streaming all my battledays in 720p.
Image Image Image Image Image
dan1mall
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dan1mall »

I will be recording all battledays in 720p. Not sure what Ill be playing yet though ^^
YouSawNothing

Post by YouSawNothing »

I recorded occasionally but fraps had a habit of being fine then out of nowhere would turn my framerate to crap for awhile so I tend to leave it off now. If anyone knows what might fix it I'll gladly record more often.
daskro
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by daskro »

Anyone can co-commentate, as long as they can make good observations and analysis or offer some color.

While streaming is good and all, uploading original recordings is always preferable to what ends up getting streamed. This is because if the stream hiccups it makes the footage unusable for that period of time. As an example in that footage I posted above LdrHavoc's footage was all pulled from twitch and it looks fine, but in the second round (which I'm posting later this week) about half of his footage is unusable because it slows down to less than 5 frames per second at times. There were some really cool action scenes that had to be scrapped because I could only use his live stream as opposed to uploaded POV.
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

As soon as I get a second hard disk I will try to upload something. Still, my upload speed is like 50 KB/s, so it's gonna be painful.
ImageImageImage
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Daskro, I just posted some ideas on the GCTV thread. Would love your input there!
YouSawNothing wrote:I recorded occasionally but fraps had a habit of being fine then out of nowhere would turn my framerate to crap for awhile so I tend to leave it off now. If anyone knows what might fix it I'll gladly record more often.
Try recording with Dxtory, it's more friendly with the game's performance. :)
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

For many people, myself included, recording isn't the issue; uploading is. I often record my Battleday footage, but uploading any large quantity of footage (e.g, a Battleday) takes absolutely forever to upload on my internet. (about 1 mbps up) I could edit it and choose highlights and such, but I don't have the vast amounts of time required to do so.
BF3:
C2: [K22S] Kinetic Influence - Senior Operative
C3: [PI3d] PRIDe - Lieutenant
C4: [G1S] Gladius - Sergeant
C5: [KYT] Kitten Adventure Rainbow Time - Private 1st Class
C6: [SIP] International Monetary Fund - Private
BF4
C1: [AD] Allied Forces - Private
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Henidhor wrote:For many people, myself included, recording isn't the issue; uploading is. I often record my Battleday footage, but uploading any large quantity of footage (e.g, a Battleday) takes absolutely forever to upload on my internet. (about 1 mbps up) I could edit it and choose highlights and such, but I don't have the vast amounts of time required to do so.
I also have 1 mbps up! The key is compressing the footage with some software like Vegas. One single round turns up as ~800mb for me, which take about an hour to upload.
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

mrBLUE9 wrote:
Henidhor wrote:For many people, myself included, recording isn't the issue; uploading is. I often record my Battleday footage, but uploading any large quantity of footage (e.g, a Battleday) takes absolutely forever to upload on my internet. (about 1 mbps up) I could edit it and choose highlights and such, but I don't have the vast amounts of time required to do so.
I also have 1 mbps up! The key is compressing the footage with some software like Vegas. One single round turns up as ~800mb for me, which take about an hour to upload.
Yes, but how many rounds do we play in a Battleday? 10-15? We played 13 rounds in the last full Battleday. And then I have to take the additional time (albeit less in total than not compressing) to compress it, not to mention acquire software such as Sony Vegas and set it up.
BF3:
C2: [K22S] Kinetic Influence - Senior Operative
C3: [PI3d] PRIDe - Lieutenant
C4: [G1S] Gladius - Sergeant
C5: [KYT] Kitten Adventure Rainbow Time - Private 1st Class
C6: [SIP] International Monetary Fund - Private
BF4
C1: [AD] Allied Forces - Private
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I hope the new HCs will be encouraged by this to allow public vids of the battleday.
With my new PC I also started to record and I upload my gameplay overnight. Complete battledays will still be at least 2 nights.

There is a compromise for the reluctant HC:
Daskros commentary shows only part of the player POV and barely any comm chatter. The basis map tactic is still revealed, but that is also true for just playing the map...
So maybe unlisted youtube links to dasko by pm (or to any other commentator) is still viable, even if public vids are 'banned'.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
daskro
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by daskro »

mrBLUE9 wrote:
I agree. Youtube will re-encode your footage into a pretty small format, approximately 2-3 MB/s for a target bit rate. You can encode 15 minute rounds to around 600-700 megs and upload accordingly. At 1 mbit a second upload that's 2-3 hour upload, not bad.

Plus if you have lots of rounds recorded, may be better to upload the ones that are the most exciting.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Henidhor wrote: Yes, but how many rounds do we play in a Battleday? 10-15? We played 13 rounds in the last full Battleday. And then I have to take the additional time (albeit less in total than not compressing) to compress it, not to mention acquire software such as Sony Vegas and set it up.
You don't need to upload it all! I personalty just upload 2 or 3 rounds where I've seen more action. I think it's best to have lots of guys posting few rounds than nobody posting anything. :D About the compression software I will do some research on free and easy alternatives, if anyone have suggestions don't hesitate to post them!
dan1mall
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dan1mall »

I think itd be pretty easy to decide on 1-3 rounds that both teams thought were exciting, we then upload the footage for daskro, and he picks the one that has the best footage. That way we are uploading only a couple of rounds ^^. We dont wanna show a 400-0 stomp anyway.