Commander Mode on Unranked Servers

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Commander Mode on Unranked Servers

Post by RazY70 »

This doesn't make sense and I doubt that customer care lady understood what you asked. What I took from her reply was that there's no difference in content between the servers i.e. Commander mode is available on all. The only difference is the privacy factor
Vinya
Yes there is no difference in in game contents it is absolutely same.

Vinya
This is something for privacy purpose and nothing else.
If you want to be sure just plainly ask them if Commander mode is available on unranked/private servers. Even then I wouldn't count on getting an accurate response.
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

Fixed!

I will be in contact with 3 server admins tonight to see what the definitive answer is, seeing as GC has yet to obtain its own.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

coolStory.bro

we just played 6 campaigns of a game where we didn't have commander mode. Yes many were looking forward to this feature, but if we can't use it, the fallback MAV is still alive. I'm fairly certain we'll be able to adapt until it gets fixed, because I doubt this is intended (if true).

lets not get our collective panties in a bunch over this quite yet.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

matsif wrote:coolStory.bro
Seriously? Throwing this in right after I called out Hitman on his meme is downright disrespectful. Everyone in this community has been clamoring about how the reintroduction of commander mode will help return the game to its roots and you guys are throwing me under the bus as if I'm purposely lying to everyone. I've had it. I am sick and tired of all the arrogant jerks on this godforsaken forum.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

So I tested things on my little server, though I didnt go through all possible combinations, but:

* Unranked or Private mode with "vars.unlockMode all or common' gives you a rank of -1 (in procon), meaning you cant use commander (rank 10 needed)

* Unranked/Private without vars.unlockMode at all, means you have only your solider unlocks and ranks from MP.

Summed up this (currently) means that all weapon unlocks and commander mode and not working because of Rank restrictions.

In the documentation for vars.unlockMode there are 2 additional options: list, blacklist. So there is hope DICE is actually still working on this. The vars.unlockMode was only added after the 4ths(?) server patch, they took it out for some reason.

If you want me to test further settings, make a proposal.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

expandas wrote:
Seriously? Throwing this in right after I called out Hitman on his meme is downright disrespectful. Everyone in this community has been clamoring about how the reintroduction of commander mode will help return the game to its roots and you guys are throwing me under the bus as if I'm purposely lying to everyone. I've had it. I am sick and tired of all the arrogant jerks on this godforsaken forum.
I have to agree with expandas here. He had a valid point but was not met with constructive responses by some. All nonsense is noted in the moderator log.
Sorry for your frustration expandas.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

expandas wrote:
did you even read the rest of my post? did I ever say you were lying? did I focus any of my post at anyone in particular? do I need to start using sarcasm font or specifically stating the focus of my post in the first line?

the entire point of my post was that we don't need to get overwhelmed by this when we don't even have servers yet. the community has adapted through numerous games, mods, players, times, and bugs. This isn't something we can't play through or find a way to adapt to as well. if you took my post as a personal attack against you, then I don't know what to tell you, because it wasn't.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Sorry expandas but you need to relax buddy, you posted a piece of info here which has been half researched and in half finished sentences. To me your posts here are ridiculous, not to mention the story you're selling changed 5 times and all your posts here you edited multiple times in a thread which seems as its sole purpose was to flame without facts. Not to mention that in an official manual there is no word of what you're saying.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Everyone. Let's calm down. From my point of view, expandas was simply trying to bring some awareness to the situation we may face regarding commander mode usage on battledays.

I don't understand why people are attacking him for bringing this to our attention.

@matsif, I gotta agree with expandas here. the coolstory.bro was totally unnecessary and was pretty rude. Expandas is doing what he can to get to the bottom of this and your reply is rather condescending to his efforts. Heck, even if it wasn't true, where's the harm? Might as well look into the situation than get caught w/ our pants down when we try it on a battleday.
Image[/url]
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

@everyone:
Woah now, let's calm this down. No need to get into a fight over server settings. I'll chat with everyone involved and see what's up.

@Joker: Thanks for the test. To confirm:

(Assuming we set this as "private" or "locked", whichever prevents randoms from joining):

1) If we unlock everything, we can't use commander
2) If we don't unlock everything, we can use commander

Both true statements?

That does kind of suck if true. I would propose we take the option that lets us use Commander mode during our scrims, and see if the imbalance caused by uneven unlocks is insurmountable. If it is, then we go back to MAV commanding (PUT SOME HAIR ON YOUR CHESTS)
ImageImageImage
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

Hitman47 wrote:Sorry expandas but you need to relax buddy, you posted a piece of info here which has been half researched and in half finished sentences. To me your posts here are ridiculous, not to mention the story you're selling changed 5 times and all your posts here you edited multiple times in a thread which seems as its sole purpose was to flame without facts. Not to mention that in an official manual there is no word of what you're saying.
Anyone with view access to edit logs will easily be able to see that you are editorializing my grammatical and clarity edits to suit your own arguments. I am a big fan of complete sentences.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Ok guys. Enough with the argument, it's over. Let's stay on track and discuss how we want to handle the situation.
ImageImageImage
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

StarfisherEcho wrote:@everyone:
Woah now, let's calm this down. No need to get into a fight over server settings. I'll chat with everyone involved and see what's up.

@Joker: Thanks for the test. To confirm:

(Assuming we set this as "private" or "locked", whichever prevents randoms from joining):

1) If we unlock everything, we can't use commander

Both true statements?

That does kind of suck if true. I would propose we take the option that lets us use Commander mode during our scrims, and see if the imbalance caused by uneven unlocks is insurmountable. If it is, then we go back to MAV commanding (PUT SOME HAIR ON YOUR CHESTS)
Yes, both true. It is a rank Problem.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Róka

Post by Róka »

OP was vague and unclear because of weird wording but get over it. This is all we need to know about the situation:
StarfisherEcho wrote:1) If we unlock everything, we can't use commander
EDIT: If the campaign starts before options are "fixed"/customizable to GC settings, I vote for Commander Mode over unlocks. The game is in its start anyways and you can argue that some people who might not have the same skill level get "better" things because they simply have more time, but we'll be able to level up during the battleday and you need to get used to the feel to each unlock.

Just a refresh-er on server settings:
Official - default settings on official servers be it Hardcore or Normal + Commander.
Ranked - customized settings (i.e. respawn times, health %, etc.) on official servers + Commander.
Unranked - unofficial servers with customized settings (all unlocks, no Commander, no password(?)).
Private - Ranked with a password + Commander.
ImageImage
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

Both unranked and private servers can have passwords and all/no unlocks. The difference, according to the EA rep and one of the symthic admins that I spoke to, is that private servers won't show the players inside the server or any information about the round progress.