BF4 Bullshit

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BF4 Bullshit

Post by ZombieToof »

Frankly I'd prefer to play the rest of the campaign in BF3.

BF4 could be a great game if it would work like intended. I like most conceptual differences to BF3. But I constantly get killed by people that did not round the corner for me yet, or while I shoot them in the back of their head. So I only play it in GC currently and hope it will work some day as intended.
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I'm sure that if the community got together with the correct organization and people in charge, we could make a mod for ARMA 3 that does everything we want that we can get that is allowed by the engine. But looking at the last few projects we were supposed to be doing, we would really have to work at it with people who are both willing to work together and not going to butt heads every time someone has an idea.

As to BF4 itself, I've always held that it has the possibility to be great. The mechanics are there in theory, the maps are for the most part good, but the execution just fails on so many levels due to crashing and network issues and infantry to vehicle balance and such.

I think we need to take this campaign and finish it in BF4, and try every week with different settings (full hardcore weekend, no lock on weapons weekend, very radical things like that). Find things that both armies find enjoyable (win or lose) to balance what we can instead of sitting around with the same settings every week that people complain about every week (MBT LAW, staff shell, etc).

And, at the end of all of that, community vote on what we should do for C2. Whether that means rolling back to BF3 or getting a team together to make a GC mod for ARMA 3. But lets at least finish what we started before we call for complete end and change of game.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

matsif wrote:I'm sure that if the community got together with the correct organization and people in charge, we could make a mod for ARMA 3 that does everything we want that we can get that is allowed by the engine. But looking at the last few projects we were supposed to be doing, we would really have to work at it with people who are both willing to work together and not going to butt heads every time someone has an idea.
I'm down.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

It's probably best that we fulfill this BF4C1 campaign with the current game; switching up settings might be fun to test. For all we know, there could be a really great game config buried somewhere in there.

Arma 3? Well, I can always contribute artistic direction.
I can't say that I'm very fond of a military simulator style game; is it still too late to try and mod the doom engine?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Anyone play Red Orchestra 2? Its like Arma just WW2. The new add-on Rising Sun adds Pacific theater.
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

I bought RO2/Rising Sun during the steam winter sales but haven't had a chance to play it.

As for BF4, I feel like they just threw in a bunch of new gadgets with no thought to whether they make the game better, and in particular, no thought to balance. Why can the SRAW lock on to lazed targets? Didn't we decide that terrible with RPGs in beta?

But I could get over that if it wasn't for the combination of netcode issues + GC being international. It's always the people with 200+ ping that instantly kill you repeatedly. If not that, they win a fight by a massive margin (oh I started firing way before you? well I guess it makes sense that you live with 75% health).
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

TBH I've had the opposite experience. When we played on the NY server it felt like I was cheating with my 10 ping. People were dying without even reacting to me shooting them in the face.
ImageImageImage
Nix

Post by Nix »

matsif wrote: no lock on weapons weekend
Yes.
Yes
YES
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
elchino7

Post by elchino7 »

TCZapper wrote:I bought RO2/Rising Sun during the steam winter sales but haven't had a chance to play it.

As for BF4, I feel like they just threw in a bunch of new gadgets with no thought to whether they make the game better, and in particular, no thought to balance. Why can the SRAW lock on to lazed targets? Didn't we decide that terrible with RPGs in beta?

But I could get over that if it wasn't for the combination of netcode issues + GC being international. It's always the people with 200+ ping that instantly kill you repeatedly. If not that, they win a fight by a massive margin (oh I started firing way before you? well I guess it makes sense that you live with 75% health).
I´ll tell i would trade any day playing with 10 ping instead of 250 on EU or 180 on USA.
If you get "instakill" its just because the other guy killed you way before you even notice him. Someone who has lower ping can send packages faster, having marginally a bigger windows of opportunity to deal damage to the opponent. Not the other way round.

Anyway, BF4 HAD (or has if you are positive) potential. Theres so many good things implemented but horribly executed. It seems like the whole team who develop BF4 didnt work on BF3 and learn from their mistakes/successes. They tried to make-implement ALOT of different things on several platforms... The result is that they barely deliver a semifinished product.

Map/assets/gadget/weapon balance: i´m really surprised how some core things escape from QA-Beta testers-Or who the hells test the game. I´m not talking about glitches, but as Necro mentioned, things that are quite evident the first time you test them.

Here i was writing a wall of text naming things that were "broken". I will just say:
-AR-AP (they improved the reactvie armour issue of BF3 but added something more stupid)
-whole air balance broken, either cause of countermeasures or lock on weapon or pure performance of the vehicles (RU stealth jet, scout tank helis, attack helis)
-map assets (Caspian border tank respawning method was perfect and the we look at Shangai :| or the MAA at Rogue or the Attack boats base spawn on Paracel or...)
-has anyone tried to play rush? It seems they dont learn: good CQ =/= good Rush map. Make different maps for different modes (but that will take more time n planificaction).

I still enjoy the game, not in the same way/quality as BF3. But hope is still there, somewhere, probably hiding between the megalodon n the Ion Cannon.
matsif wrote: no lock on weapons weekend
Little modification:
-no Active Radar missiles (AA AR - Staff shell - MBT LAW). Guided shells n javelins are fine.
-no Active protection (and this is from someone who will be on a tank).

"Clubbing, drinking, dancing, glancing, flirting, winking, greeting, meeting, chatting, laughing, talking, walking, leaving, weaving, stumbling, fumbling, cabbing, asking, viewing, brewing, nuzzling, cuddling, feeling, reeling, kissing, twisting, touching, rushing, stripping, gripping, clutching, thrusting, bending, arching, gasping, slacking, melting, sleeping, waking, smelling…
Dirt?
Scrabbling, pounding, thumping, bumping, screaming, scratching, groping, choking, crying, gulping, stifling… quieting.
Breathing…breathingbreathing
Snoopnoop

Post by Snoopnoop »

I enjoy playing every aspect of Battlefield 4; infantry, air, armor. I enjoy the speed of the gameplay, the feel of the battlefield.

I enjoy playing BF4 more than BF3.

I ignore the bugs because that is exactly what I did when I was playing BF3.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

It seems to me that people with high ping are more likely to do a bs kill trade while people with lower pings get to kill you so fast you don't even understand wtf just happened. Its like they move at the speed of light. If you look at the first scene (i think) were i pull out the pistol after the spawn beacon, i go from 100 to 0 in exactly 1 frame and im sure i was dead several frames before that as not a single bullet i fired registered. I find myself constantly having no chance against the same low-ping players even when i'm supposed to have the advantage as i surprise or anticipate their movement, but it always ends in a boom head shot!
And im not talking about 200 ping, but 65 vs 25.
So frustrating
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Róka

Post by Róka »

Necromancer wrote:It seems to me that people with high ping are more likely to do a bs kill trade while people with lower pings get to kill you so fast you don't even understand wtf just happened. Its like they move at the speed of light. If you look at the first scene (i think) were i pull out the pistol after the spawn beacon, i go from 100 to 0 in exactly 1 frame and im sure i was dead several frames before that as not a single bullet i fired registered. I find myself constantly having no chance against the same low-ping players even when i'm supposed to have the advantage as i surprise or anticipate their movement, but it always ends in a boom head shot!
And im not talking about 200 ping, but 65 vs 25.
So frustrating
+1 for link/reference
Anyways, as much as I just ignore the piece of crap that the game is atm, I still play it. Shame that I was so anxious about the new features they've added. As for the gadgets, in a sense there's a counter to everything, they just need to nerf damage or availability.
ImageImage
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

Every once in a while /r/gaming gets it right.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
dan1mall
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dan1mall »

NS2 campaign and im back and happy :D
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

One thing I'd be in favour of trying is a low RPM (700-) day. It might actually be interesting to use guns that you otherwise would never use.