Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

BF4 Jan 30 patch notes

Post by matsif »

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/fo ... 815503479/

battlelog patch notes, make what you will of it since we all know at this point they don't actually tell us most of the tweaks.
CPU/GPU performance and monitoring
-Tweaked and improved CPU multi-core utilization to try and avoid stuttering and low framerate due to stalls that happened on some CPU and OS configurations.
-Users can now configure and control themselves how many CPU cores should be used in the game with the new “Thread.MaxProcessorCount” settings in User.cfg.
-“Render.DrawScreenInfo 1” now also shows information about which CPU and GPU is in the system, how many GPUs & CPU cores are used and which renderer (DirectX 11 or Mantle) is active
-Added new “PerfOverlay.FrameFileLogEnable” command that records frame times on CPU & GPU and logs out to a .csv file
-AMD Catalyst driver 13.12 (or later) is now recommended instead of 13.9
-Enabled tile-based compute shader lighting optimization on Nvidia for improved GPU performance (already active on AMD GPUs)
-Improved performance with rendering and spotlights for all GPUs, primarily in in-door environments

DMR Balance Tweaks
-Increased the damage of all DMRs across all ranges. Specifically, damage has been increased at long ranges to allow three-hit kills against unarmored opponents. Additionally, reduced the penalty to accuracy for sustained DMR fire, allowing more rapid follow up shots in combat. The amount of the damage increase varies from weapon to weapon, according to its intended range, rate of fire, and damage. We will continue to monitor the effectiveness of DMRs in combat, and determine if additional action is needed to make DMRs a viable mid to long range weapon.

Other Items
-Significantly reduced the duration of the black screen when spawning in, and fixed the issue with players getting killed before being in-game
-Greatly reduced the risk of crosshairs disappearing, which would also result in hit markers disappearing
-Added a headshot icon on the killcard. This should help identify instances where players are correctly killed by one shot
-Fixed an issue in Squad Deathmatch where the “Win/Lose” text was overlapping
-Fixed an issue with players using an exploit for the SOFLAM
-Fixed an issue with players using an exploit for the MAV
-Fixed the gameplay code to properly track the FOV (Field of View) changes in the options menu
-Fixed an issue where chat would break when entering "false" or "true" in the chat window
-Fixed an out-of-helicopter glitch in Air Superiority where players could spawn on the ground and play as infantry
-Fixed the misaligned crosshairs on the T90 MBT
-Added setting to tweak joystick dead zone
-Various minor crash fixes
the bolded one really made a difference for me, the game is at least playable now as far as performance, finally don't have any stuttering (only took 3 months). Also, game now supports mantle once the drivers roll out. apparently only for 290, 290x, 260, and kaveri APU are going to get the driver at first though.

also unlisted is the new sound bug many are having where they have no sound for at least 1 round.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BF4 Jan 30 patch notes

Post by Bock »

phpBB [video]

You can find me playing not BF4.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Bock wrote:You can find me playing not BF4.
I'm still in the same boat, but figured I'd say something about it for those who were having bad stuttering like I was, as that seems to be better. The netcode issues made me quit after about 15 minutes of play because they obviously haven't done any work on that.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Gardalop
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Gardalop »

They will not as the netcode probably requires a engine fix. It seems much more deep rotted than just bf4.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Trust me when I say bf4 will never get fixed. Netcode is bad from 42 and 42 is still messed up after 12 years.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

The black screen at spawn thing is an excellent fix. I remember in the beta you would spawn in and instantly see your surroundings; sure you might be vulnerable for a moment but at least you were aware. I have no idea why they changed that in the full release version to blind you with darkness for the first second after spawning. At any rate, at least it's reverted now and working.

Besides that, reading through the notes really irks me. Most of the changes are fine, don't get me wrong, but it's just dumbfounding how it's taken them MONTHS after release to get things like the FoV slider working correctly. Again, I'm grateful to even have an FoV slider, but making it work correctly is a day 1 hotfix kind of change, not something that you let fester for months before patching. The same goes for the tank cannon misalignment, something that players have known about since the beta that they ignored with 2 or 3 patches before FINALLY fixing it.

Oh well, progress is progress, better late then never & etc...
elchino7

Post by elchino7 »

The patch is acceptable rounding to good BUT (theres always a but in DICE patches)...

WARNING:
I think they make them on purpose. They have to keep their names high. Gamebreaking glitch of January: if you get inside the gunner position, it MAY cause a crash or it may be unusable. I haven´t reproduce it so i dont know if it´s either a map, server, or specific tank issue.

"Clubbing, drinking, dancing, glancing, flirting, winking, greeting, meeting, chatting, laughing, talking, walking, leaving, weaving, stumbling, fumbling, cabbing, asking, viewing, brewing, nuzzling, cuddling, feeling, reeling, kissing, twisting, touching, rushing, stripping, gripping, clutching, thrusting, bending, arching, gasping, slacking, melting, sleeping, waking, smelling…
Dirt?
Scrabbling, pounding, thumping, bumping, screaming, scratching, groping, choking, crying, gulping, stifling… quieting.
Breathing…breathingbreathing
Nix

Post by Nix »

.Sup wrote:Trust me when I say bf4 will never get fixed. Netcode is bad from 42 and 42 is still messed up after 12 years.
BF will always have sh!tty netcode because of the amount of players per round.
However it's extra sh!tty now because of this damned "Client-side" hit detection BS the Devs seem so hell-bent on using.

My main issue with this game is air balance. It sucks being a pilot :( I wouldn't recommend it to even my worst enemy.
I've never had a game where it's been a stressful struggle just to play. Makes me sick.
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Have a list of ninja changes
http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/c ... es_thread/

The fact they dont even have a complete list of changes just shows how badly orgnized they are.

Saying the netcode is always gonna suck cus of 64 players or engine is rubbish. First of all bf3 had a better netcode and bf4 is not any different from bf3. Secondly there are other games that support 64 players without any network issues. Its just poor implementation.

@fields black screen was added because assets loaded too slow for some upon spawning, showing just floating weapons until the player skins were loaded.
I think ive recorded it once, ill try to find a footage.

Their engine is crap though. Its 8 years old, id think its time to build a new engine from the start. I loved how in bf2 vehicles could be flipped, or the no flight cieling. Hell, getting hit from the front while speeding still registers as a back shot in the tank.
This game is exactly like bf3, just worse designs and tons of new bugs on top of the old ones. Bad map design, bad vehicle design (choppers). Weapon design.. how the hell a 120mm staff shell has no fall off what so ever? Its active radar and also causes critical hit. Balance anyone?

Its like they gave the bf3 engine to a completely new team that has never actually played battlefield and told them to create bf4.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Nix

Post by Nix »

Necromancer wrote: Its like they gave the bf3 engine to a completely new team that has never actually played battlefield and told them to create bf4.
That's probably what's going on. I've seen some of the devs stat pages, OMG.

Time played: 10/15 hours.
KDR: 0.5/0.8
Top weapon: AK-12/MX4: 78 kills
Top vehicle: Boat/Tank: 5 kills

It blows my mind. I know they have to work in all, but we have to work too and we still manage to put in 100+ hours...
C'mon DICE!
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Have you noticed the commander can tag any player with kills >= 1 as an HVT? Everyone is an HVT now. Commander triggered team wallhack whoohoo!!!
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
ZebraPeps
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZebraPeps »

elchino7 wrote:...Gamebreaking glitch of January: if you get inside the gunner position, it MAY cause a crash or it may be unusable...
Experienced it yesterday evening. Once on Shanghai rush, spawned as gunner on MBT aaaaaand "BF4.exe has stopped working". Also had some random crashes which I haven't had in a long time, but that might be due to the patch roll-out on servers...
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

From the reddit "ninja" updates list:

Bombcarrier spotted 24/7 in Defuse "As soon as somebody picks up the bomb he is spotted for the enemy team." Credit to the guy who made the video.

#RipCompetitive (a little bit more dead)

phpBB [video]
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

TheNixNick wrote:
Necromancer wrote: Its like they gave the bf3 engine to a completely new team that has never actually played battlefield and told them to create bf4.
That's probably what's going on. I've seen some of the devs stat pages, OMG.

Time played: 10/15 hours.
KDR: 0.5/0.8
Top weapon: AK-12/MX4: 78 kills
Top vehicle: Boat/Tank: 5 kills

It blows my mind. I know they have to work in all, but we have to work too and we still manage to put in 100+ hours...
C'mon DICE!
Imagine to work on a game very hard for 2-3 years, every day. The days before the game HAS to go gold (be finished), they usually have to work day and night, eating and sleeping at the office. After the game's been released, you still have to work on the same game to fix bugs and other stuff.

I know I wouldn't even think about actually playing the game on my spare time.
elchino7

Post by elchino7 »

Hgx wrote:#RipCompetitive (a little bit more dead)
You can´t kill something which has no life!

"Clubbing, drinking, dancing, glancing, flirting, winking, greeting, meeting, chatting, laughing, talking, walking, leaving, weaving, stumbling, fumbling, cabbing, asking, viewing, brewing, nuzzling, cuddling, feeling, reeling, kissing, twisting, touching, rushing, stripping, gripping, clutching, thrusting, bending, arching, gasping, slacking, melting, sleeping, waking, smelling…
Dirt?
Scrabbling, pounding, thumping, bumping, screaming, scratching, groping, choking, crying, gulping, stifling… quieting.
Breathing…breathingbreathing