Can you walk and talk at the same time?

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: Can you walk and talk at the same time?

Post by Gwynzer »

cancel_man wrote:One unconfirmed review says the the 3-pedal switch doesn't have rollover (no simultaneous presses) so it might not be adequate for other gaming uses but it would work fine for hotkeys.

Go for the extreme jump up then and buy proper gaming pedals.

I've got a set of CH Pro Pedals and they are fantastic. I'm pretty sure you can bind them in their software to act as Digital Inputs for when having things like PTT in Teamspeak.

I used them in ARMA for Infantry Lean, Driving and Flying. Since I got a proper HOTAS I've not really had use for them yet. That's really cause I've not played ARMA since then, and my HOTAS has enough easilly accessable buttons to do pretty much everything I need to in Elite Dangerous
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

Gwynzer wrote:I've got a set of CH Pro Pedals and they are fantastic. I'm pretty sure you can bind them in their software to act as Digital Inputs for when having things like PTT in Teamspeak.
Interesting idea. Yes, you can bind them to keypresses, with Autohotkey if necessary. However, depending on your seating position, it could get uncomfortable when sitting with your feet on them for long periods of time as they are somewhat narrow(a common complaint of flight simmers that own CH pedals).

Because they're intended as rudder pedals, your entire foot rests in an elevated position on the pedal, rather than keeping your heel on the floor as you normally would.
You may also find they require relatively large force to tilt forward, as they're intended as toe brakes. Additionally the angle at which they tilt may also be a source of discomfort.

I own a number of pedals sets, both for flying and driving, and for myself I can say they're not nearly as comfortable to use as a true foot pedal is.

One minor advantage of the Chinese pedals is that they identify to the computer as HID keyboard/mouse instead of a joystick device like the CH pedals would. This means they won't bind themselves to the game you're playing and cause strange things like characters moving sideways.
This is easy to remedy by simply removing the binds ingame, but still worth mentioning, especially if you play lots of different games.

I've looked around for more sturdy pedals, but for some reason there's pretty much nothing available in a mid-end price range. It's either very cheap or very expensive(100EUR+ for pedals is too much in my opinion).

You could go the DIY route and either build or buy a general purpose foot pedal(I've looked at dictation pedals myself, for stenography) and add a USB interface, but that's neither cheap nor quick to put together.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

CrookedBarrel wrote:
I'd be more accepting of voice activation if people were more consistent with muting when needed, and setting up the threshold for activation properly.

Then again, I don't understand people using shitty microphones, usually in combination with speakers for that wonderfully deformed booming echo, either.
Don't know who you're playing with, but I've never experienced this.
I can't even tell who's using voice activation and who's PTT.

Personally I'm using mouse button and it doesn't affect my game or my aim at all. The only thing that causes me to stop taking is CC chatter, but I doubt that gas pedal can help with that
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Necromancer wrote: Don't know who you're playing with, but I've never experienced this.
I can't even tell who's using voice activation and who's PTT.
Starfisher I think is one of the people who are like... problematic for this but it's not a super big issue. He's got his damn ridiculous super old IBM mechanical keyboard, and now he's got a screamer too.

There's a few people that are much worse, mainly it's sensitivity problems as opposed to an issue with VA itself.
Róka

Post by Róka »

Gwynzer wrote:There's a lot of people that are much worse, mainly it's sensitivity problems as opposed to an issue with VA itself.
FTFY
ImageImage
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Nix wrote:Hi, I'm Nix, and I want to inform you on a revolutionary new product:

Automatic Voice Detection

That's right! Fully automatic, no buttons or cheap usb pedals! Only your God-like voice is the key!

Get it at your local settings menu today!
As long as I don't have to listen to you eating, breathing heavily or your mom.
Nix

Post by Nix »

Instant mute button.

My mom says hi btw.
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

It'd be interesting to see if people could guess if other people they've played with were PTT or VA. Some might be surprised I think.

At any rate, I've played with a lot of people using VA and almost never had a problem. You only need a microphone that's more than 10 euro, a correct threshold and an emergency mute key.
Róka

Post by Róka »

ViperXVII wrote:At any rate, I've played with a lot of people using VA and almost never had a problem. You only need a microphone that's more than 10 euro, a correct threshold and an emergency mute key.
This should be added to the TS3 tutorial or pinned somewhere on set-up.
ImageImage
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CaptJagermeister »

BTW does anyone have any recommendations for a good mic? Right now I'm using the zalman zm mic 1 which is just a cheap clip on mic which I bought because I didn't have one.
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

CaptJagermeister wrote:BTW does anyone have any recommendations for a good mic? Right now I'm using the zalman zm mic 1 which is just a cheap clip on mic which I bought because I didn't have one.
The zalman is supposedly the best within the independent range for its price-point uncontestedly (at least back in 2013). Then it just moves up to studio microphones (50 EUR and higher).

At any rate it's generally better to get headsets for computers (I've personally gone over the whole range and my friend went with independent mic + headphones) because the independent microphones are never too good.

I would say your setup's fine though Jager at least from teamspeak, unless you're looking to update.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

There's also this: http://www.modmic.com. Costs $50 though

phpBB [video]
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Starfisher I think is one of the people who are like... problematic for this but it's not a super big issue. He's got his damn ridiculous super old IBM mechanical keyboard, and now he's got a screamer too.
It's not my fault the divine inspiration pouring forth from my keyboard is too much for your puny mortal ears to process.

Although the screamer means I just don't get to play anymore :(
ImageImageImage
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

StarfisherEcho wrote:
It's not my fault the divine inspiration pouring forth from my keyboard is too much for your puny mortal ears to process.

Although the screamer means I just don't get to play anymore :(

Now don't use that as an excuse! My screamer sounds like the chest burster from the original Alien movie when she's pissed and I still find the time to play a few rounds on Saturdays.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

^^

When they grow up, I will find them and I will show them this thread....muhahaha....like the chest burst from Aliens...hahah that cracked me up.

PS. IBM Model M all the way.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM