[Arma 2:] DayZ mod

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Arma 2: DayZ mod

Post by LoA »

Awesome vid of some guys playing DayZ:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ[/youtube]

A guy getting robbed in the middle of the night, epic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWRfI4SkWc[/youtube]
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

noticed you actually see the mouths moving when talking thats so awesome!!!
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Chemical2 wrote:noticed you actually see the mouths moving when talking thats so awesome!!!
yeah! :D

Does anyone here on GC have Arma 2? Would be awesome to get some people together and play this mod.
fullmetaljacket9

Post by fullmetaljacket9 »

hey, I have been playing the mod over the last week or two. If you want to have a game send me a pm with your steam name and I'll add you ;)
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I have arma II: CO and I just installed DayZ, if you see me on TS I'd be willing to play this with you guys! 8)
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

on Day6 with my first character now, I have everything I need to survive, all I'm missing is NVGs and a Ghillie suit. So far I've only had to kill one other survivor, I've managed to avoid everyone else so far.
XrunawayX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by XrunawayX »

How difficult is this game to learn if you've never played ARMA before?
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

I don't think it's that difficult. Movement keys are normal, X crouch, Zprone, shift walk/run, "inventory" is G. It's getting used to how they are implemented that is a bit difficult. Learning to run with while keeping freelook going, and inventory management can be a bit of a hassle. Double tapping shift will lock you in between "run" and "walk" as the default mode, which is good.

Learning to get around the zombies... either watch a few youtube vids or prepare to die a few times. Overall, learning to play DayZ is probably easier than playing vanilla ARMA, just because there is so much less you have to worry about. You're surviving, not going to war. Anything you aren't sure of... so far I've seen everyone get answered if they ask a question in text chat ingame.
marvk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by marvk »

Just bought and downloaded, goin' to play now. Join us on Teamspeak :>
BF3C2: HiT 1st Lieutenant of the Airforce
BF3C3: DARK 1st Lieutenant of the Airforce
BF3C4: STAR Private First Class of the Airforce
SQRush Tournament #1: Winner
SQRush Tournament #2: Winner
SQRush Tournament #3: Semi Finals
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

Gwynzer wrote:I don't think it's that difficult. Movement keys are normal, X crouch, Zprone, shift walk/run, "inventory" is G. It's getting used to how they are implemented that is a bit difficult. Learning to run with while keeping freelook going, and inventory management can be a bit of a hassle. Double tapping shift will lock you in between "run" and "walk" as the default mode, which is good.

Learning to get around the zombies... either watch a few youtube vids or prepare to die a few times. Overall, learning to play DayZ is probably easier than playing vanilla ARMA, just because there is so much less you have to worry about. You're surviving, not going to war. Anything you aren't sure of... so far I've seen everyone get answered if they ask a question in text chat ingame.
Follow life rules when you were a child though. If they tell you to meet up somewhere, in a barn maybe, say no and run away. The same people who helped you out will slaughter you mercilessly for the few mags you have
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

yesterday Marv and I played it and first it took us an hour to set up the game then it took us an hour to finally find a server where the game wouldn't stuck on "loading" or "trying to reauthenticate" then finally when we found 2 servers that worked normally they were crashing and coming back up every 10 mins.

Maybe we did something wrong I dunno, I DLed the toerrent which said 1.6.0.1. and then I DLed the other files and dragged them into the folder, incluidng the code for 1.7.0.

When we were playing it was real fun though. I want to get together with the guys here who said they play it and whoever said they got to "day 6" you need to tell me what server you play on because I don't understand how you get to that with the constant crashing.

I'd like to get this organized, so if you own ARMA 2: CO and have dayZ mod enter yourself on the list (copy paste):

1. Hitman
2. Marvk

After we have a list we will set up a time please post your availability in your reply, my availability after next wednesday will be almost unlimited so I will go whatever time is good for the rest.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Hitman47 wrote:yesterday Marv and I played it and first it took us an hour to set up the game then it took us an hour to finally find a server where the game wouldn't stuck on "loading" or "trying to reauthenticate" then finally when we found 2 servers that worked normally they were crashing and coming back up every 10 mins.

Maybe we did something wrong I dunno, I DLed the toerrent which said 1.6.0.1. and then I DLed the other files and dragged them into the folder, incluidng the code for 1.7.0.

When we were playing it was real fun though. I want to get together with the guys here who said they play it and whoever said they got to "day 6" you need to tell me what server you play on because I don't understand how you get to that with the constant crashing.

I'd like to get this organized, so if you own ARMA 2: CO and have dayZ mod enter yourself on the list (copy paste):

1. Hitman
2. Marvk

After we have a list we will set up a time please post your availability in your reply, my availability after next wednesday will be almost unlimited so I will go whatever time is good for the rest.
I downloaded the installer, worked great. No problems at all. Had some lag issues though, but it seems like that's server-side so lets just hope they'll fix that soon enough.

1. Hitman
2. Marvk
3. LoA

I was playing yesterday with Cairdazar and marv, but mostly cairdazar since marv had some problems with his game. Cairdazar seems to know alot about this mod, and he really helped me out great since i were a noob (not anymore :D). It started to get dark and we were sneaking around trying to get some good loot. We found two crossbows (at the same place), he found 2 steel bolts for it aswell, but i only found 1.

We were playing during the night IRL, so in-game it was night aswell. It was hard to spot zombies, but they also had a hard time to spot us. We managed to get through two small cities, and marv started to move towards us aswell. Finally, he located us and we regrouped at a well. Since me and cairdazar were attacked by 5+ zombies before, i was low on blood and didn't hear anything at all. So it was dark, i didn't hear anything, so the only thing i could rely on were marv and cairdazar.

We started to move up the Green Mountain where a big antenna were located. The only thing i saw when moving in the woods were two white bags in front of me, and i just kept following those two bags since it was so dark. Suddenly, they disappeared, and i didn't see anything at all. Zombies were all around that antenna and i finally found marv and cairdazar again. We started to move by the fence to find a entry to the antenna, and suddenly, we saw 5+ zombies walking on the road where the entry were. Cairdazar started moving towards the fence, and marv just disappeared. I moved up to a car on the road, which wasn't a good idea. I didn't hear anything, but since it was night i thought the zombies were stupid enough to just walk by me. So i just waited, and started to realize i didn't blink my eyes IRL because i were so focused on the game. Suddenly, i heard a BIG fraking scream behind me. Imagine not hearing anything at all for like 30 minutes, then just hearing the most scary scream ever behind you. I started to run and saw 5 hungry zombies behind me, and i were screaming like a girl IRL. Since my blood was really low, i passed out while i was running. It were so realistic, and i layed down with blurry vision seeing 5 zombies moving towards me. They killed me, all my loot was gone, and i were just staring at my screen for like 10 seconds.

This game and mod is really worth the money, so go buy it if you wanna have some fun. :lol:
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

can you give link and small tutorial on how to get the installer and what to do with it? because on their forums I found links to many different installers and in the download section under "installer" there's a bunch of files.

P.S. you are lucky marv didn't shoot you by accident. :lol:
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2001

Remember to start the game at least ONE TIME after installing before you start to download the mod from the installer.

First off, check if you got the latest JAVA version. If not, update.

Download the DayZ installer, and just click update. The DayZ files will now start to download. When they're done, go into Steam and find Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. Right click it, click properties, and click on "Set launch options". Copy and paste this: -mod=@dayz -nosplash -cpucount=X
(X is a variable and stands for how many cores you want the game to use. If you got a dual-core CPU, X=2, if you got a quad core CPU, X=4.

For some configuration and graphics tweaking (to get rid off annoying motion-blur and mouse-smoothing)

Open explorer and open this file in notepad (whatever)

C:\Users\"your name"\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\"your character name"\"your character name".ArmA2OAProfile

Change the following lines to look like this

mouseSmoothing=1;
makes you mouse way smoother probably the most effective tweak for increasing user response

shadingQuality=0;
the shadows still look like shadows

Bonus: These two in combination increase/decrease your field of view. This seems to be a good proportion for a 1920x1080 res.
fovTop=0.97500002;
fovLeft=1.5599999;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In-Game graphics settings

Set your video memory to default

Turn off post-processing effects. Removes the annoying blur

Turn off v-sync

3D resolution - set it to be as close to the natural resolution of your monitor as possible, preferably set it to the same. This is a must to make your game playable, not looking seriously blurry or using too much processing to make it look super sharp.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

awesome! thx, hopefully it'll work better now when I'll play with you guys! :D