[Star Citizen] - Spaceships in space est. 2012.

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: [Star Citizen] Chris Roberts is back in the gaming indus

Post by matsif »

better transcript from today's WMH for those who don't want to watch, which has a lot of good info in it:

DFM Info:
-plan for DFM: unveiling at PAX East, if all goes as planned it will be released shortly afterwords
-the world servers that will be used for the PU (the "system cluster" if you will) will be going online shortly to allow lots of testing beforehand
-DFM initial release will have some barebones energy management, but not whole system in initial release
-Vanduul Scythe will be AI controlled opponent in initial DFM release, with ships coming into the DFM as they are completed

Flight mechanics:
-you can physically get into someone's ship, or if someone calls for help in a multi-crew ship you can "port" into an NPC that the player is using in that ship
-your friends can be given permission to fly, but if you DC in flight AI can take it over and fly it to destination. friends will take priority over AI if given permission

Other Mechanics:
-instancing caps haven't been set yet, but it will probably be a mix of player and ship based
-you can hold discovery of jump points to yourself/friends/org, but if you don't name the JP and someone else finds it they can name it first. when you're ready you can upload it to the universe.
-some info on medical mechanics like saving buddies from dying

Rendering things
-some info on PBR (physically based rendering), which allows things to "degrade" over time and such and adds a lot of realism and tangibility to objects. It's being implemented for not the next hangar patch (soon) but the one after that (which won't be for a while).
-A really neat showcase on the Vanduul Scythe, which incorporates some of the PBR things mentioned and looks really cool
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Did anyone else notice that the music during the scythe clip was awesome? I've been very impressed with RSIs composer so far!
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

good infos from today's 10 for the chairman:

-there's going to be more than just the hornet for dogfighting as UEE fighters
-may be able to make each package with a hangar a distinct location in space, with limits
-first releases of DFM will be single seat ships only, mentioned cutlass, avenger, hornet, aurora, 300i, and probably only hornet, aurora, 300i in first release (more than just hornet yay!)
-orgs will be able to tax, have common assets, control an economic node, buy real estate for hangars, etc (confirmed instead of speculated as it was before)
-probably no "war declaration" between orgs, but if you try to fight say near Earth you might get an NPC response from the UEE or such. Stated CR wants the heavy UEE controlled space to be more economic/commercial conflict rather than military conflict.
-if you're not strapped into your seat or have unfastened cargo, they are planning to get it so the stuff will move/fly around on a big impact, especially on the larger ships
-if you're getting boarded and kill the boarders and they leave their ship empty, you're going to be able to take it without it being marked as stolen property.
-beam weapons on capital class weapons, not for fighters
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Hangar Patch 11 Released

short version is more goodies for the cutlass and firing range and some bug fixes.

edit: also to note, for those of you with a freelancer, they removed the bar in the middle of the cockpit glass, giving you a much better viewing range.

patch notes:
NEW FEATURES
NEW FEATURE: Moving targets added to Firing Range
NEW FEATURE: Freelancer cockpit updated
NEW FEATURE: Firing Range sound improvements
NEW FEATURE: Blue activate buttons added to Cutlass
NEW FEATURE: Additional Cutlass functionality added
NEW FEATURE: Ammo items now display in Holotable

KNOWN ISSUES
KNOWN ISSUE: You can get stuck in the Deluxe Hangar door
KNOWN ISSUE: Cutlass does not display in Holotable
KNOWN ISSUE: Behring M4A Laser can flicker while mounted on weapon mount
KNOWN ISSUE: Hands offset when grabbing controls in Avenger
KNOWN ISSUE: Character must jump to access Constellation elevator platform
KNOWN ISSUE: Incorrect gun geometry on starboard side of Freelancer
KNOWN ISSUE: Engine missing from Aurora LX
KNOWN ISSUE: Freelancer cockpit glass can flicker

BUG FIXES
BUG FIX: Various geometry collision improvements
BUG FIX: Fixed first person mouse look in some cockpits
BUG FIX: Ship third person mouse look movement now matches player third person mouse look movement
BUG FIX: Resolved issue where ship third person camera view would zoom all the way in or all the way out
BUG FIX: Resolved crash issue involving Cutlass
BUG FIX: Various ship animation improvements
BUG FIX: Item/ship graphic no longer remains after deactivating Holotable
BUG FIX: Bullet impact and particle graphic polish
BUG FIX: Buggy no longer moves on its own
BUG FIX: No longer able to exit buggy if there isn’t a clear spot for player
BUG FIX: Can no longer exit buggy while it’s moving
BUG FIX: Weapon mount targets health adjusted
BUG FIX: Ball Turret re-added to the Super Hornet
BUG FIX: Resolved various crash and crash on exit issues
BUG FIX: File structure cleanup
BUG FIX: Holotable bug fixes & graphic updates
BUG FIX: Prevent weapon mount collision from becoming offset when fired
BUG FIX: Player no longer moves forward when sidestepping
BUG FIX: Resolved collision issue with Hornet tracker Rotodome
BUG FIX: No longer able to clip through Foot locker
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

New Wingman's Hangar updates:

SQ42 info:
-a bunch of animations of mining rigs and a big mining base that will be part of the single player campaign.
-some updates on the mining mechanic as it's being made in SQ42. Apparently the first few missions will be around the mining base that got shown earlier in the vid
-modular release, 10 missions on first release and 10 missions every month (hopefully) there after. they're hoping to have the first 10 missions at the end of the year!
-single player campaign is a structured campaign system (think wing commander), not a free world system (think skyrim). you're in the military and have military jobs to do.

Other info:
-there's going to be some sort of ranking system based on stats with DFM
-apparently the gladiator will fit into a launch bay on an idris
-the 2nd "turret" on the cutlass is now a tractor beam by default, while the main turret has been upgraded to a class 5 instead of the old design of having 2 class 4 turrets
-if you get the asteroid hangar, CIG has identified asteroid fields for a starter system, one of which is a lawless system
-civilian vs military variants of ships will be distinguishable
-there's going to be an incremental hangar patch before the PBR patch in the future. no info on it.

also once I sort some issues with my recording software I'm hoping to get a video of the new cutlass updates out, it's pretty cool what they've done so far
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Looking forward to that video matsif :)

Also, in case anyone missed it, this is an (official) image of a bunch of the Vanduuls larger ships with an Idris for size:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... t3_mod.jpg

I think operation pitchfork is going to have it's work cut out for it :lol:

Just imagine flying your 300i alongside that carrier flagship, terrifying.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Calloutman wrote:with an Idris for size:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/medi ... t3_mod.jpg
Holy titty-sprinkles, THATS WHAT IM TALKIN 'BOUT!
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

:o
the end is really fµcking nigh
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

39 Mill Reached!

shows the javelin destroyer and they are making a procedural rendering team to get atmospheric/planetside stuff going
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

phpBB [video]

in today's TNGS, we get a first look at the 2nd starter ship, the Mustang! Video starts with intro with the designer, and we get some pics of it, looks awesome!

edit: Mustang Concept Gallery
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Also for those of you who like the mustang but don't want to spend more money on the game, you will be able to transfer your Aurora packs into Mustang packs, keeping life time insurance and such along the way. This was confirmed back at the $26 Million Funding Goal.
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

So after a while i was updating my SC - Client and got into my hangar again.
Noticed the nice Fishtank and stuff. Neat!
Now i have a firing range. NEAT!

But how the fish do i use that fishing thing?
I can use one of those computer thingies. Dismount a little something from the firing range gunmount.
I can dismount 2 Guns from my freelancer. But i cant mount my Ship-Guns to the firing range.

And 2nd.
HOW DO I GET INTO THE Freelancer Turret.
I tried tried jumped etc. But nothing is working.

Chef (y)
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Chefcook wrote:So after a while i was updating my SC - Client and got into my hangar again.
Noticed the nice Fishtank and stuff. Neat!
Now i have a firing range. NEAT!

But how the fish do i use that fishing thing?
I can use one of those computer thingies. Dismount a little something from the firing range gunmount.
I can dismount 2 Guns from my freelancer. But i cant mount my Ship-Guns to the firing range.

And 2nd.
HOW DO I GET INTO THE Freelancer Turret.
I tried tried jumped etc. But nothing is working.

Chef (y)
for the gun issue, sounds like the mounting puck problem. CIG in all their wisdom decided to give us a mounting "puck" (for lack of a better term) on the firing range that was very limited in what it would accept, and currently the only known way to get more guns on the firing range is to steal a puck from a hornet. I believe the only weapons you can pull off the freelancer currently are Behring M4As, which I don't own any of, so I can't test it to be sure. Look and see if there is a mounting puck thing on the holotable that you can steal off the ship.

as to the turret, I think that's been broken for a while, but I'm not really sure as forum searches weren't returning anything helpful. EDIT: still broken per this guy's bug reporting thread.

wish I could be of more help, but I don't own a freelancer :silent:
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Thanks Matsif!

I doubt that there is any "pug" i can dismount from my ship, because i am only able to get 2 guns off that thing.
But i will try maybe tonight a little bit.

Seems all those gigabytes of updates i made, did no good for my poor old freelancer.
I cant even lie down on one of those beds. Hmpf....

Atleast there is a fishtank!
:thumbup:
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

TFTC has a lot of good info today:

-in the universe, there is no FTL communication, so information running (drake herald) will be not only important, but quite valuable. info will travel via a series of relay drones through jump points, or take it via ship. think of it as delivering a really important locked container. encrypting/decrypting data will be a mechanic to go after as well. lots of depth in the video that CR explains better than I can via transcript, suggest watching (first question).

-matchmaking will have "a lot" of criteria, including ping, PvE/PvP preference, ship stats, your kill count, your defense ability. DFM will be used to test what stats work best.

-top speed mechanics are still being worked on. top speed will be limited in dogfights for fun levels. flight computers will limit things to safe G force levels during dogfighting, but outside of fights you'll be able to go faster ("warp" speed). also explanations on why you drop out of warp when another object is near. Once again, I suggest you watch the 3rd question for better info as it's a lengthy explanation.

-space sleds as EVA man mechanics and tractor beams to grab cargo floating in space. most of it is still in pre-dev planning stages.

-idris will have armory, med bay, briefing room, etc, and is being expanded for SQ42, and can have 3 hornet sized or smaller ships stored. flight deck is built to fly 2 ships at a time.

-DFM is being kept into the main game as a simulated arena mode for "practice" purpose, with a respawn model and no loss to your real equipment

-your character will have a limited life span other than just dying via combat. a "retirement" system is also being looked at, so once your character gets old, you might be able to make him into an NPC.

-after the poll a few weeks ago, they are still planning on releasing some SC themed controllers/HOTAS sets. they are talking to peripheral makers currently.

if you do nothing else with the video, I really suggest you watch questions 1 and 3. Both have lengthy explanations that I haven't completely covered in points 1 and 3 above.