[Star Citizen] - Spaceships in space est. 2012.

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Star Citizen] - Arena Commander Released!!

Post by CekiHappy »

Ill probably hold out on upgrading till the gtx800 series is released, for now im fine with low FPS in an alpha game. That said, I still do pretty well considering. Got to the 6th wave of the Vanduul swarm and im slowly becoming decent at tracking and hitting the enemy. Itll be great when the multiplayer capabilities are put in, I cant wait, gg CiG :thumbup:
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

me playing free flight:

woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

It's a noise I've only ever heard you make once matsif, but I'm guessing that you made the *squeee* noise
the end is really fµcking nigh
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Tea-Assault wrote:It's a noise I've only ever heard you make once matsif, but I'm guessing that you made the *squeee* noise
yes. then I played vanduul swarm, and made more silly noises. all of my feels were quite felt. wish I had more time to play, but that's for the weekend.

haven't played around with everything yet, but this fly-by-wire system with the mouse is very touchy. Had to turn my sensitivity down to 2 to fly with any semblance of aim, and even then it was tough. I think it's just something to get used to, having roll on A and D instead of on the mouse keeps screwing me up cause I'm used to BF flying.

Decoupled flight is interesting. Changes A and D to left-right strafe and removes your ability to roll all together on the keyboard and makes mouse maneuvering more difficult. might be better with a joystick, which I really want to try but I'm not sure if my 16 year old sidewinder will even work. something for tomorrow and the weekend, and if it feels that much better I'm definitely investing in a HOTAS of some sort. KBM still feels a bit clunky.

There are 3 ships you can fly at this point, the aurora, 300i, and hornet, all stock models. 300i is the most maneuverable and I believe fastest, hornet can take the most damage, not really sure what the aurora is good at since it has less weapons and less maneuverability than the other 2. missiles are wildly OP on scavenger mobs (and hunters), being a 1 hit kill, but I've never seen them resupply. Boss mobs (prime) have flares/chaff so you could easily blow all missiles on them and not get a single hit. bulldog lasers (blue) are pretty weak but let you put out a good amount of fire. The green lasers do more damage but fire slower and use more energy per shot, so you find yourself only able to make quick strafes. The mantis gattling guns on the hornet shred things, once they spin up.

In the F2 hud screen, you can hit enter and move the arrows to move weapons into different firing groups so you can fire everything with 1 button if you want. Haven't played with it yet though. Also remember to hit T when mobs spawn so you can get one officially targeted. Look for the green diamond on your cursor to get hits, green circle means a "maybe" hit if you lead it right, blue circle means you won't hit a damn thing.

running on 1650x1080 on high settings, and everything seems really smooth to my surprise with my HD7850. not sure what my overall FPS is, but I didn't notice any major stuttering or anything other than the cockpit hand animations, which have been slow and clunky in the hangar for a while now. Not to mention everything is beautiful beyond imagining.

I'm overall extremely impressed. Maybe it's my fanboy hypetrain, but I'm so glad they waited on this. Patience really payed off here.

also, I don't have time to recap it today, but here's the last WMH.

All of my rainbow drool:
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

My experience: Image

SLI made the game basically just flashing triangles. With it off I can't go more than 30s in vandaal swarm without my ship going invisible and the 1st person camera looking like that :(

Free flight works though, so :)
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Getting a solid 45fps in the hangar, 35fps in the sim with a 7970 on Very High settings. Doesn't seem to be any anti-aliasing by default. Everyone is hating on the Aurora, but I made it to wave 13 first try in the sim with vanilla Aurora, so there! I tried KBM, my incredibly old Joystick and an Xbox controller. The Xbox controller is far and away my favorite control scheme so far. It's unforunate only the first 250 people got the multiplayer unlocked, that was the thing I was really looking forward to. Can't wait to own some P2win scrubs with my Aurora. :twisted:
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

zorplex wrote:Getting a solid 45fps in the hangar, 35fps in the sim with a 7970 on Very High settings. Doesn't seem to be any anti-aliasing by default. Everyone is hating on the Aurora, but I made it to wave 13 first try in the sim with vanilla Aurora, so there! I tried KBM, my incredibly old Joystick and an Xbox controller. The Xbox controller is far and away my favorite control scheme so far. It's unforunate only the first 250 people got the multiplayer unlocked, that was the thing I was really looking forward to. Can't wait to own some P2win scrubs with my Aurora. :twisted:
Woah. The multiplayer component has already gotten unlocked for the first few people??
Image[/url]
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Got to Wave 14 and there were 4-5 Alphas which all shot a missile at me. Instant death.

For grins, I forced Crossfire to be enabled. I was actually getting 60fps in the hangar! There was a lot of artifacts, however. I'm rather impressed at how stable the game is. It certainly could be optimized more, but it's already running quite well for an alpha.
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

phpBB [video]
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

a thank you post with some how-to videos in it

also, those flying the 300i, ever notice how it always yells about stuff overheating when it isn't? well, origin jumpworks has a response for you!
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Everyone playing with keyboard and mouse needs to read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/com ... or_a_less/

Basically press Ctrl+F to decouple the gun tracking from the flying.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

After playing and reading more about the way flight works, it's becoming more and more evident that macros might come in handy...
Image[/url]
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

haruky wrote:After playing and reading more about the way flight works, it's becoming more and more evident that macros might come in handy...

good thing your bought the keyboard right ;)
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Cannot decide on a new Desktop wallpaper:
http://imgur.com/a/XwXNs

edit: also this: http://youtu.be/U0vejQwU6as I was laughing so hard at myfailure :lol:
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

I finally managed to get out on the platform. That last image of the 300i on the platform... so good!!

Also if you're in third person view from the front (the second view that lets you see the ship from the front), you can press "page up" and it'll allow you to rotate the spaceship with your joystick/mouse while the camera stays stationary. When you're happy with a view you can then press page up again and it'll fix the camera there.

Album of the full rez images

BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke