Evolve

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Evolve

Post by matsif »

phpBB [video]

I don't know how I missed this earlier in the week. This game looks pretty awesome as well.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Re: Evolve

Post by StarfisherEcho »

I read a short blurb about it and thought it sounded awesome. It vaguely reminds me of Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Which was an awesome game where the MP was one dude running around as a giant monster eating stuff to get stronger, and 4 small players running around with various technology to try to kill him.

This seems to massively up the ante on that mechanic.
ImageImageImage
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

StarfisherEcho wrote:I read a short blurb about it and thought it sounded awesome. It vaguely reminds me of Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Which was an awesome game where the MP was one dude running around as a giant monster eating stuff to get stronger, and 4 small players running around with various technology to try to kill him.

This seems to massively up the ante on that mechanic.
Holy hell, Giants: Citizen Kabuto is at the top of my list of games I wish they would re-introduce into the modern age. It was so fun and unlike anything out there at the time. In fact, I can't compare it to anything before or since. I'll have to watch the above video, although at first glance, the monster looks like a very scary vagina. ~~~Shudder~~~

BF3C3 • DARK • Sergeant
BF3C4 • Gladius • Sergeant
BF3C5 • Legion of Doom • General / Lord
^^^cause the only way I can get medals is to give them to myself^^^
BF3C6 • IMF • PFC
BF4C1 • Allies • Corporal
BF4C2 • 9th MEU • Sergeant First Class
BF4C3 • Lucky Number Seven • Chief Warrant Officer
BF4C4 • SAD • Private
BF4C5 • EVIL • 2nd Class Minion
BF4C6 •TCF • Made Man
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I IMMEDIATELY thought of NS2, which is a game that I love. This one should be on pc too, eventually.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

so the first vid I posted is the 2nd set of hunters and the 2nd monster, played as a tournament at E3.

this vid is an hour-ish long, with the first monster and hunter set. First part is a commentary overview of what's going on, and then it goes through what each character saw only through their POV without the commentary. Probably the best vision of gameplay for what this is going to be like.

phpBB [video]

This has become my near term "can't wait" game. With SC still out in the future a ways and Rainbow Six Siege and Witcher 3 not coming out until next year, this game's October release is the next thing.

for specific timings:
0:00-8:40 - commentary, all characters POV
9:00-17:15 - trapper POV
17:45-26:00 - assault POV
26:40-34:30 - support POV
35:00-43:25 - medic POV
44:00-52:00 - monster POV
Róka

Post by Róka »

I just want to know about its replayability. Like, will I get bored or basically know/played the whole game from just watching a playthrough of one set?
ImageImage
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

matsif wrote:so the first vid I posted is the 2nd set of hunters and the 2nd monster, played as a tournament at E3.

this vid is an hour-ish long, with the first monster and hunter set. First part is a commentary overview of what's going on, and then it goes through what each character saw only through their POV without the commentary. Probably the best vision of gameplay for what this is going to be like.

phpBB [video]

This has become my near term "can't wait" game. With SC still out in the future a ways and Rainbow Six Siege and Witcher 3 not coming out until next year, this game's October release is the next thing.

for specific timings:
0:00-8:40 - commentary, all characters POV
9:00-17:15 - trapper POV
17:45-26:00 - assault POV
26:40-34:30 - support POV
35:00-43:25 - medic POV
44:00-52:00 - monster POV
This is getting me more excited for the game. It's asymmetrical pvp class based tactical FPS goodness. AND it isn't going to be on previous generation consoles, meaning it'll be one of the first tests of new console architecture and how it can translate to PC.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Róka wrote:I just want to know about its replayability. Like, will I get bored or basically know/played the whole game from just watching a playthrough of one set?
depends on how they end up handling any sort of unlocking system they do and the maps they make. I'd be willing to put money down that there's some sort of equipment/monster grind involved with each class in order to get the next character on the list or some weapon upgrades or something, and you probably won't have access to every monster out of the gate. They will also most likely do some sort of DLC packs for monster and characters because even if the hype that's getting turned up on this is half correct they stand to make a lot of cash.

My biggest fear is we only get 1 or 2 sections of the planet to play on as far as the map at the beginning. That would kill the game much faster than having a limited monster or class set imo. Only having 1 or 2 environments over a whole planet would be really lame. I'd have to go watch the videos again but I think each of the posted vids are different maps, or they are at least different sections of the same map.

At the end of the day though, if the game's fun, the game's fun. It looks like it's got the right combo of goofy dialogue lines, fun but team based play (or lone wolfing via monster), and a proper team that understands co-op gameplay behind it to make something really good. Hopefully they do some sort of beta/demo trial run before october rolls around to really get some time on it though.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Seems like those POVs are missing the HUDs.
Nothing shows the health of the hunters, and there is no crosshair.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Róka

Post by Róka »

:thumbup:
And even if you got a good team coop wise it's always great to get good laughs out of goofy gameplay!
ImageImage
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

delayed until February 10, 2015.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

before it was delayed the game was slated to come out this week. :cry:

but I did find this interesting guide that goes through pretty much all of how the game works as is known right now if anyone is interested.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Alpha is getting a bigger release for Halloween weekend

In the link there's some instructions for signing up, or if you preordered from select retailers then you should be getting a code to enter into a site to get access. Basically there's a referral code that gives you a chance to get in, then you go to this site and enter your information, then you wait. If you preordered, there's a spot to enter your code there once you get it.

Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Release is 6 days away. That's pretty fantastic. :thumbup:
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Fields wrote:Release is 6 days away. That's pretty fantastic. :thumbup:
no, it's delayed until feburary, as they are doing an alpha test halloween weekend :(