Language and cussing

Welcome to GC. All the information you need to get started is here!

Moderator: Executive

Firengineer

Language and cussing

Post by Firengineer »

In the case of interviews and personal stories, what level of censorship are we going to have (I.E. making frak = F***)? Cusswords can add urgency and emotion to certain parts of writing.

Considering that this is a newspaper, I would presume that a high level of censorship would be present. However it IS documenting a war, so I would expect it to be a bit more lenient. Any thoughts?

Personally I'd go with simple symbol censorship of "High-level" swears (Fu**... Sh%@... Motherf@$#er) And leave some of the "low-level" swears uncensored (Ass, Damn, Bastard)
Chxrles

Re: Language and cussing

Post by Chxrles »

I'll have to discuss this with upstairs. Good point, thanks for bringing it up.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

frak

and that wasnt what I wrote.
Zimmin

Post by Zimmin »

Also when making videos, should I censer the squad?
Chxrles

Post by Chxrles »

Swearing is an accepting thing at G-C. It's not like we'd be giving the wrong impression. The forums are semi-censored so that's why I need to talk to someone first, hopefully they'll see this thread.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I'm all for cussing like BF3 does itself as long as its not directed at a group or army. And its not WPlank being qouted.
Tho, I have heard the Execs say in the past that there are some younger people here and overall it should be toned down.
Yet, you cannot join the GC forums unless you are 18.

I would say write what you want and submit it. The person proofing it for webpage publishing, should make it clear whats not going to fly.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Ash2Dust wrote:
I would say write what you want and submit it. The person proofing it for webpage publishing, should make it clear whats not going to fly.
Yep, it will be censored if needed after submission for review.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

In general I would agree mild cursing is acceptable. But I would definitely go for a "keep it civil" doctrine.

As Ash stated we have younger ppls around also. And we have folks from different continent/cultures. Keep in mind that curses that might be considered mild in one country could be considered harsh in another country/continent.

Also keep in mind that things being posted in the "Globe" might be read by newbies who think about signing up. If that is full of curses they might be shocked about our attitude.

Anyway fire away and wait for the sensorship-hammer.
:twisted:
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Firengineer wrote:Considering that this is a newspaper, I would presume that a high level of censorship would be present. However it IS documenting a war, so I would expect it to be a bit more lenient. Any thoughts?
Broadsheet newspapers in the UK don't censor swear words at all.

I'd agree with Sushi here, don't litter your pieces with swear words for the sake of it but if they add to the article then it's most likely OK.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

sushi25 wrote:As Ash stated we have younger ppls around also. And we have folks from different continent/cultures. Keep in mind that curses that might be considered mild in one country could be considered harsh in another country/continent.
I havent heard a kid play yet this campaign. And with the requirement to be 18 to sign up, do we have any kids playing? Only one that I can think of is Basher and Ramen, but I dont know if they are playing in the camp. And they lied about their age to get in?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Ash2Dust wrote:
sushi25 wrote:As Ash stated we have younger ppls around also. And we have folks from different continent/cultures. Keep in mind that curses that might be considered mild in one country could be considered harsh in another country/continent.
I havent heard a kid play yet this campaign. And with the requirement to be 18 to sign up, do we have any kids playing? Only one that I can think of is Basher and Ramen, but I dont know if they are playing in the camp. And they lied about their age to get in?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17467
Chxrles

Post by Chxrles »

So the verdict is curses are allowed, just don't get mad and only use appropriately (quotes and such, I'd rather not see it in editorial writing unless it's a personal account and is in dialogue).
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Ash2Dust wrote:
There you go, that makes it two that we know of without starting to think and keep in mind that the age limit of BF3 is not everywhere set to 18. I am not aware we have any agelimit here at GC for signing up, do we?

I guess we are all on the same page here.
FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

I'm almost certain that there is an age limit at signup.

However, a consensus has been reached so it's not really that important.