RS2 Fun Day Feedback

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

RS2 Fun Day Feedback

Post by matsif »

After your experiences with the Rising Storm 2 fun day, we'd like to know how you felt about the game. what are your concerns, what you liked, etc.

as a note for everyone, the server we used today would not be a battleday server. the dedicated box we used is technically below recommended spec for CPU speed, and it had a lot of lag issues as a result. this is what we had for free and quickly available for setup, and if we did run a campaign we would be getting more powerful hardware so that connections were more stable.

-GC Senate
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Snappel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: RS2 Fun Day Feedback

Post by Snappel »

I had tons of fun. I would love to see us try a campaign with this game.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Very intense, lots of opportunity for cooperative tactical play. Some minor problems with the game being a bit buggy and laggy, and our server probably needs an upgrade if we decide to do a full campaign. For anyone experiencing high pings as the server fills: the RO2 game engine adds together network latency and server response time to give you a ping, which is why it will rise as the server fills.

I think we should pull the trigger and start some planning. Everyone seems eager to play a campaign and this will at least keep us going until another usable BF game is released (If ever). :thumbup: :thumbup:
V_

Post by V_ »

I'm very much into playing a campaign on this. Battlefield has gotten more and more like CoD over the last years, and I like RS:V's more tactical approach to movement.

I'll echo some of the above statements and say that it's not particularly well optimized. When we moved from the first map into Hue City, my fps took a massive hit until I lowered the settings are restarted my game. The server definitely got weird as it filled up, and I had some rubberbanding, got shot around corners, etc.

I don't think either of those are major issues though, and I'd happily join a campaign on this game.
BF3 C2: KI - Sgt | C3: Pride - Sgt | C4: Gladius - Sgt | C5: KART - Col | C6: UNSC - Col
RS2:V C1: A1 - Ofc | C2: SLOTH - HC
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

as a note for everyone, the server we used today would not be a battleday server. the dedicated box we used is technically below recommended spec for CPU speed, and it had a lot of lag issues as a result. this is what we had for free and quickly available for setup, and if we did run a campaign we would be getting more powerful hardware so that connections were more stable.

-----------

as to my thoughts, I've been pushing this game since before I even played it for a campaign in a senate after EA screwed us with BF1, going back into last year. I'm all for using it for a campaign.

my only concerns at the moment are related to round length and the lack of maps currently. that said, round lengths are things we would have to test out in internal scrims, and the game is fully steam workshop integrated so maps might be an issue now but won't be in the future, plus the game is fully mod friendly so we could even do our own thing.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

I had fun. I'd like to play a campaign with it. I'll need to learn all the game mechanics and get used to a more careful playstyle, but I think the core pieces we need are there. The maps are nice and big and seem pretty well laid out to enable/require tactical movement. I think it's a game that will really reward communication and coordination.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Fields wrote: I think we should pull the trigger and start some planning. Everyone seems eager to play a campaign and this will at least keep us going until another usable BF game is released (If ever). :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Though I personally will be quite time limited :(
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Playing the devil's advocate role, I'm not sure if there's enough substance in the game at the moment for a full fledged campaign. It's also important to keep in mind the small matter of player count, which is kind of low at the moment. That said this game might be a good way to introduce like minded players to GC.

All in all I had fun today :)
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

+1 for running a campaign in this. I don't think the weird ping is too much of an issue but if we know how to fix it anyway then it's a non issue.

I personally have issues of low FPS that drops off over time but it looks like the devs may be aware of the issue and attempting to fix it.

As has been said, there aren't many maps but if steam works is a thing, in a few months that probably won't be a problem. We could probably make our own if people had the drive and skill.

I don't think player numbers is too much of an issue, at least in a game specific way. Any game we choose to play will have the same problem and we will have to bring in new people from what ever game we play's wider community. There were probably 12 - 15 people who played today over the entire evening.
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

I feel we're all in pretty agreement: let's run a campaign in this.

Now, having said that, I'm sure there are some logistics to be addressed (like server, and like rules, campaign mechanics, etc.). Would the server we used today continue to be available? We could leverage that to recruit folks for a campaign, if we so inclined.

I was going to mention the lag until I read Matsif's reply. Personally I think the game fits GC's style of play: structured, coordinated, and intense.

Me and Insanity Jr (aka Noah) had a blast today. He remarked how he liked the fact all the GC folks played the objective instead of screwing around. Next step for me is to get him registered here.

And Fields (I think it was you): after I explained Loa, Noah was grateful for the comparison. :thumbup:

At this point, do we even need a poll or can we just say: We're doing it! What can I do to help out?
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

InsanityRocks wrote: He remarked how he liked the fact all the GC folks played the objective instead of screwing around.
Are you sure he was playing in the same TS we were? What about all the Fli Lice?
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

A Docile Sloth wrote:
InsanityRocks wrote: He remarked how he liked the fact all the GC folks played the objective instead of screwing around.
Are you sure he was playing in the same TS we were? What about all the Fli Lice?

:oops: I'm sure; he's sure. He thought everyone from GC was really cool.
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

Not sure what I could add that hasnt already been said. I always wished for a campaign in RO2/RS but it never really seemed to interest enough people here or something. This one is just as fun and offers much of the same tactical feeling I had playing RO2/RS so I'll just say that I'm definitely down for a campaign in RS2.

Can't guarantee I'll be as reliable as I used to be like attending the full 6 hours every battle day but I should be able to pull off at least 2-3 hours.
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Little late to get the Fun Day Announcement for paticipating ... but after reading i instantly threw my last Steampennies in and am downloading now ... (SDK aswell)

While i'm not sure whether my Hardware and my Internet Connection (WiFi to the first floor) will be truly capable, i'd love to play a GC Campaign with good GC Squadplay again after all those years deeply missing it ... and maybe we can reactivate more BOFs like me ... can i Haz teabegg please ?!? :P

How many GC members where playing on funday ?

What about another one with a bit more advertisement at our Steam Group to get more in ?
C11SCUM - Mandy
C12Panzerarmee Afrika Leutnant
C13 Neutral -Mercs
PR Team
-inactive- No BF modding = not buying - FUEA
B.I.A. for RS2V ?!?
dan1mall
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dan1mall »

did anyone record themselves playing? Im curious as to how it went