boosting router performance

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

boosting router performance

Post by matsif »

my router is a POS. it is for a dsl internet and it is both my modem and router. I bought a booster antenna for it and I still lose connection to my PC and there isnt very many walls between my computer and the antenna. anything else I can do other than by a seperate router?

-matsif
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Most ISP supplied modem/routers are cheaply made and tend to have high failure rates. See if you have the same problem when you run the computer in the same room as the router. But it could also be your wireless adapter (especially USB) on your computer is crappin out.

1) Repositioning your computer and router may help signal strength especially when going thru a couple walls, wall wiring, piping, ducts, etc.

2) Move the modem/router to the room with the computer and hardwire with an Ethernet cable.

3) Get a new modem/router. If its under a year old, get them to replace it underwarranty.

4) Try a different wireless channel.

5) If its just the wireless part flaking on the original router (and not due to your environment), then you could buy a cheap wireless router.
Turn off (or set to different channel) the wireless function in the original modem/router.
Set the new wireless router to bridge mode. Ethernet the two together. Connect to the new router. You may want to research bridging if you're not familiar with networking.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

6) Check for Firmware updates from manufacturer or ISP.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

yea I tried all but #3 or anything that involved a second router, seeing as I set up the network in my house cause my dad is a techo-dummy (my dad self-named himself that) and I dont have a job so $$$ is scarce...

thx for the info tho ash, prolly gonna get a second router or just get the modem in my room and have my dad's comp on the wireless connection cause I use the internet the most in my house anyway.
tiberian_rebel

Post by tiberian_rebel »

I have a wireless internet connection also, and it too sucks. My advice, dump the booster antenna. I had the same problems until I got rid of it. I know it sounds stupid and I have no logic to back it up, but my internet connection improved dramastically after I got rid of my booster.
"It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on." -Sun Tzu
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Check the troubleshooting charts at the website provided by manufacturer of your router. All the possible problems your modem\router could ever bother you with has been reported and biatched about by a million plus peeps before you.

Use that legacy to your advantage and go take a look.

My Alienware lappy has a built-in Wifi card that had the same kind of problem you are experiencing with your setup. The first factory fix was to pop the keyboard off and re-run the antennae under the cover so as to avoid some hardware that was interfering with the signal.

That was not an acceptable fix for most owners and the second fix did the trick. They issued a completely new set of drivers and updated application. That solved the issue for 95% of the laptop owners and it has been straight up reliable and long range ever since.

I can browse with that laptop from half a block from my house, and that's through the two walls(an outside and one inside) separating the two as well.

Check out that website, mate!

Winter :D
ImageImage
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

go for linksys when you can :), and ask your ip for just a modem not a router
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

well I would if my dad who is the money supply for the household would ever listen to me seeing as I know what is better for the internet connection and he has no friggin clue :D
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

go mow lawns :)
Dogma75

Re: boosting router performance

Post by Dogma75 »

matsif wrote:my router is a POS. it is for a dsl internet and it is both my modem and router. I bought a booster antenna for it and I still lose connection to my PC and there isnt very many walls between my computer and the antenna. anything else I can do other than by a seperate router?

-matsif
Is there much steel in ya house matsif. Had a prob with my wireless too. only one wall between the PC and the router and the connection was miserable.

Now I use a cable. The Walls here in my house are made of steel concrete as i got to know later. now i have holes in the wall and and funnels at the walls for the cable...
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
sig made by Rob / thx bro
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Gravis wrote:go mow lawns :)
i do
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

mow more of em :)... or do odd jobs lol :)

upto you if ya get one though... or grab 100ft lan cable and run it through your attic
FiremanX

Post by FiremanX »

Another thing you could try is to position your antenna the best way possible...

download netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com and see what your connection does when you move your hardware around....

(by moving my computer a mere 7cm to the left, i got a boost of 15dB on my connection...)

It's worth a try i guess

Fire