Sygate firewall not working properly

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

Sygate firewall not working properly

Post by sushi »

I reinstalled my windows including the latest version of the sygate firewall.

I don't seem to be able to register the firewall with EReg (which it demands upon each start) - which normaly wouldn't bother me but the firewall doesn't allow programs like firefox/thunderbird/antivir to access the internet (even when expressly allowed for these programs in the firewall aplication settings) interestingly enough TS is capable to access the internet when the firewall is active.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the firewall already without result.

Any words of wisdom- including other software firewalls you recommend are appreciated.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

The Sygate Personal Firewall is pretty outdated and since Symantec bought it, there's not gonna be any free updates any longer. I've switched over to the Comodo Firewall which is also free (from $, spy-, ad-, mal-ware) but gets updates and support too. Besides, even when compared to non-free FW's, the Comodo one is top as it's offering way deeper levels of configuration than most FW's do. And while it's not made for complete computer illiterates, configuring even the rather complicated things is easy by following the guides. You can dl it here: www.comodogroup.com/

P.S.: You'll need to register with an email address to which your lifelong licence/activation number will be sent.
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

The integrated Windows Firewall is good enough. More configuration possibilities just mean more, unnecessary work and more reasons for windows to blow up. The deeper integration the more likely it is that something will break. Get yourself a router so your windows pc doesn't have a real internet ip address and you won't have problems.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

I have a router already :wink:
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

If you already have a router then just use Windows Firewall, if you deside you have to have one at all.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Whoa, maybe I'm paranoid, maybe some in here are credulous (probably both ;)). Seriously, Windows timberwall? That thing's only good for holding up the worst till a real FW is up and running, e.g. when one reinstalls Windows.

A router is a good defence - until the attack or abuse comes from your own pc. E.g. try stopping hijacked dll files from talking nice to the phishers out there without a decent FW tween you and them. Next to that, the net would be a much safer um .. net if everyone would protect his pc from becoming a infested zombie tool that serves all kinds of criminal activities.

Besides all that, my inner control monkey just loves to dictate what program can talk to whom about what. You won't believe how many progs like to call home without any obvious reason - at least not till you've seen em doing it. :evil:
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The current Windows Firewall is finally a firewall as it "protects" inbound and outbound. Still, I prefer the free ZoneAlarm from zonelabs.com as its more informative than windows on what really is being protected. They hide the free version while trying to sidetrack you into downloading the trial versions.

If you dont install any shady software, keep windows up to date, and avoid shady website, you're decently protected behind a router with windows XP current firewall. Also assuming your LAN IP's are private lan addresses.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I use just the Windows Xp firewall and have had no problems with security over the years.

I have tried having a third party firewall and or security program only to find it fighting with the Xp firewall.

You can always use your router hardware firewall if you want another zone of defense. You just have to remember it when installing new programs that won't know of it's use or vice versa.

Winter :D
ImageImage
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

As luck would have it, I've stumbeld across this extensive firewall review website yesterday: http://www.matousec.com/

There you can read all the indepth details about why you should use a firewall and what, how and why it should do what most FW's don't.

In their current test analyses they conclude that all tested firewalls are not yet where the bad guys already are.

However, of all those insufficient products, they found the Comodo firewall to be the least insufficient with the general security level and implementation (just as all other tested FWs) being lower than their expectations but at least standing strong against all but one of the leak tests (of which the built-in WinXP FW failed 26 .... of 26 :roll:).

Number 2 in their ranking is the ZoneAlarm PRO(<-!!! not the free version!), which passed like 3/4 of all leak tests. However, it's overall security is "very poor and [they] do not recommend ZoneAlarm Pro for any serious use".

There you have it. I'd recommend you (especially those who think they don't need no stinkin firewall) all to read those pages, then judge for yourself ... and install a decent firewall ffs! :wink:
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Good to see a comprehensive review as opposed to non-factual opinion.

For home personal use, I wouldn't put as much weight on passing a leak test. Thats outgoing and if your system has been compromised, you know that hackers are going to use code to get out one way or another. The biggest issue is to stop them from sneaking in.

But I guess if you have alot of users (kids) installing who knows what, then passing leak tests would be desirable. But even then, the first thing they will prolly do after installing the nasty software is give it permission to pass thru the firewall.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

DslReports.com has I have said in the past has very good firewall testing services as well as intel on what works and what doesnt.

Try them out..........it's free.

Winter :D
ImageImage