power supply

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

zeplin05

power supply

Post by zeplin05 »

any suggestions for a new power supply mine over heated melted the soldier and pretty much went to crap. so i can't play bf or anything on my desktop its very depressing :( money is kind a problem with this need 450w + for under 100$
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

I have had no problems with Enermax PSUs so far. They have fancy and not so fancy models. Not a problem with either kind so far.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

I have a truepower 490 that has been rock solid for over 2 years and it was $90 when I got.
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

its only been 2 hours and i am suffering from desktop withdraw because my laptop isn't nearly the beast my desktop was :(, thanks i will check these out.
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Antec (pricey) and Sparkle are also tend to be quality. A heavy powersupply is a good one. If it can take out a windshield, its a good one. If it bounces off a windshield, its a crappy one.
MadRat

Re: power supply

Post by MadRat »

zeplin05 wrote:any suggestions for a new power supply mine over heated melted the soldier and pretty much went to crap. so i can't play bf or anything on my desktop its very depressing :( money is kind a problem with this need 450w + for under 100$
shame you dont live in the uk got 3 spare power packs that would suite you

could have one for nothing.
Camp2 Staff Sergeant.MadRat E.C/1st Egyptian
Camp3 :Howler (Sergeant).MadRat Simian Crusader Uber Mercenaries/Armored Ape Brigade Image
Camp4: Buttermonkey(2ndLieutenant).MadRat SCUM Raiders/Tank/Monkey
Camp5:Private.MadRat Hogan's Heroes/Baker's Sneaky Bastard's
Campaign 6 : 2nd Lieutenant.MadRat Operation: X/=SAS= Special Assault Squad
Campaign 7 : Pirate.MadRat Neutrals/Pirates
Campaign 8 : Recruit.MadRat Interpol/Recruits
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

APEVIA CONCORD ATX-MR500W ATX12V v2.03 500W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL, FCC, CSA, CB, TUV, CE, NEMCO, DEMCO, SEMCO, TC - Retai
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817148010

its a nice looking one I think I am going to go with it.
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Never heard of them. Do you currently or in the future need SATA and PCI-E connectors? The Antec Smart Power SP500 is $10 more.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Be very careful when purchasing a power supply! It is almost always the first thing people look to save a few dollars on when building a new machine, yet it's the heart of your computer. Cheaper models have a greater chance of going *boom* when stressed... and when they do, they have the ability to take out every single other component in your computer (by way of excessive power surge).

I'd go with Ash's recommendation of spending the extra $10 and going for Antec, even if for nothing else than ease of mind :)
Hi!
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Antec is nice, although I've still had them go on me. :(

I'm currently using a Tagan PSU, it's been in my computer for about a year if not longer and it's still going strong.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

Ash makes a good point on weight. The PSU I replaced weighted maybe 1/4 the weithg of the Truepower I put in. Like everyone has said, spend extra on teh PSU as it could destroy your other parts if it is junk.

Also you might want to read some of the reviews as there are 23 posted at the link you gave. Some good info can be found there.