Media Player Problems

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

tiberian_rebel

Media Player Problems

Post by tiberian_rebel »

I have been trying to watch several videos posted here, but when I click on them, it says I need to install a plug-in. I click on the plug-in, and it takes me to the media download center. I download and install Media Player 11. However, it still says I need the plug-in. Is there something wrong with my Media Player, or do I have the wrong version?
"It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on." -Sun Tzu
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

I use VLC to watch all my videos.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
gribble

Post by gribble »

jepp, VLC is a nice player with a lot of codec build-in.

in case you don't want to use it. Get GSpot and load the video in there. It will spot which kind of codec you need to play that video... so then go out and get the appropriate codec :)
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Gspot *giggles*
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Media player Classic works pretty good, (dont confuse with Windows Media Player, not the same thing, even if Media Player Classic looks pretty much like the old WMP but with a lot more function to watch video and DVD)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... lassic.cfm
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Charger

Post by Charger »

Be careful Tiberian! Someone here posted a video, I think it was around May 15/16th,(video was posted before this date) can't remember what it was for...anyhow, got a message that I didn't have the right codec...a "convenient" link was provided which I ignorantly took. The name of the file was "mediacodec-v4.635.exe",
turned out to be Zlob.AFD (Trojan horse downloader). :(
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Yah, thats the problem with non-updated media players or the media player classic (that I last tried a couple years ago), they have that download a trojan because of security holes.

I have FFdshow installed which supplies all codec's I need for windows media player including the common Dvix and Xvid codecs along with AC3 audio.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=53761

As Gribble said, Gspot will show you what a movie file needs to play the audio and video. But not all website links are downloadable.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

StarLord wrote:Media player Classic works pretty good, (dont confuse with Windows Media Player, not the same thing, even if Media Player Classic looks pretty much like the old WMP but with a lot more function to watch video and DVD)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... lassic.cfm
I agree. The classic will play almost anything, even .swf files. Try it, you'll like it.

As far as Media player 11, codecs are the thing. If you don't have the right codecs installed, it won't matter what player you use.

Winter :D
ImageImage
tiberian_rebel

Post by tiberian_rebel »

I downloaded pretty much everything you guys posted, but I'm still having problems. I'm pretty sure the codecs are the problem, but I'm not sure which ones, as many of the videos I can't download to run in Gspot
"It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on." -Sun Tzu
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Installing ffdshow didnt help? Then its unlikely a codec issue.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Ash2Dust wrote:Installing ffdshow didnt help? Then its unlikely a codec issue.
Unless he over tweaked the filters or the hundred other settings FFDshow has in its config panel. I finally got rid of it, because it was too complicated to trust. But that's just me.

Gspot is nice, but it is no help after it tells you what's missing or damaged. I have two Nero VCD and DVD codecs that Gspot picks on every time I run it but even manual search and destroy missions through my system 32 folder have resulted in no results. Gspot just complains and Nero plays everything I throw at it anyways. lol. :D

Take a visit to Muskcodecs.com Tiberian. They have a pkg called Musk codec pkg. 5. It's free and it has an interface to codecs, tools and config applications that are included with it. It works very well and has a lot of decent tools and most of the codecs you could want.

Winter :oops:
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Thr problem is he cant find out what codecs he needs if thats the problem. Installing FFDshow and not touching any setting should have set him up with any codecs he possibly could need.

... Except for mpeg2, which I end up getting from installing DVD player software.

Also those type of sites are using Flash player to play the video
Make sure you have version 8,0,22,0 or higher. Uninstall and reinstall. Could also be a setting in internet options control panel limiting flash player as it is controlled by ActiveX and IE plugin settings. Did you by chance crank everything up to the highest setting?

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I had to install activeX to play a lot of sites script based media in Firefox. I had a heck of a time with it until I installed the Real Media toolbar to watch tele through the browser.
It told me straight up exactly what I needed and in 20 seconds I was streaming vids and taking names. lol.

Ash, you sure are tech savvy and then some bro. Are you in the field or just another nerd like the rest of us...........lol.

Anyways, You represent with intelligence and good taste mate. I don't say that very often these days online.

Respects.................WinterImage
ImageImage
tiberian_rebel

Post by tiberian_rebel »

Ash2Dust wrote: Also those type of sites are using Flash player to play the video
Make sure you have version 8,0,22,0 or higher. Uninstall and reinstall. Could also be a setting in internet options control panel limiting flash player as it is controlled by ActiveX and IE plugin settings. Did you by chance crank everything up to the highest setting?

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/
I tried updating flash player, but that didn't do anything.
So, I downloaded Firefox to see if it would make a difference. When I tried to run the video, it automatically offered to find the plug-in I needed. However, it could not find a suitable plug-in. And now I'm really at a loss.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 06213#FF_1

Go read this page on activeX, flash, flash blocking and embedded media in webpages.

It is exact and very easy to follow steps to multimedia bliss with Firefox. I think somewhere on that page is the answer you seek Tiberian. At least, I hope so.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216

This second addy is even more helpful. I can't believe the work that went into these troubleshooting guides for a browser that has no profit motive at present. It's a very good page, bro.

Luck......................Winter :D
ImageImage