For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

PunkBuster updates helps resolve some connection issues

Post by Ash2Dust »

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

1) run pbsetup.exe in a folder (to keep its files in 1 place)
2) run check for updates. pbsetup.exe may update itself and do an autore-run
3) make sure bf2 is highlighted in the game section. Check for updates until it says no new updates.

This can resolve some pb kick issues, some lag at start of round issues (getting latest video driver helps), and some audio high pitch glitches (getting latest audio driver helps).
Not to mention the BF2 cache files of texture can be fragmented which a defrag of the drive can help map load times.

Latest PBupdate 7/17/07. Seems I'm still not automatically updating and had to use the pbsetup.exe to get current.
Edit by Titi: Latest PBupdate 08.24.2007. Seems I'm still not automatically updating and had to use the pbsetup.exe to get current.
Edit: 01/06/08 In-program update feature not installing. Need to manually download pbsetup v3.0
Last edited by Ash2Dust on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

bump
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

i have lots of connection problems. i though i had it updated but will try again. thanks
Winter_Lion

Re: PunkBuster updates helps resolve some connection issues

Post by Winter_Lion »

Ash2Dust wrote:http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

1) run pbsetup.exe from your root PB folder in BF2. (might run elsewhere).
2) run check for updates. pbsetup.exe may update itself and do an autore-run
3) make sure bf2 is highlighted in the game section. Check for updates until it says no new updates.

This can resolve some pb kick issues, some lag at start of round issues (getting latest video driver helps), and some audio high pitch glitches (getting latest audio driver helps).
Not to mention the BF2 cache files of texture can be fragmented which a defrag of the drive can help map load times.

Latest PBupdate 7/17/07. Seems I'm still not automatically updating and had to use the pbsetup.exe to get current.
I use that application as well. You can run it from anywhere on your pc. I run it from a folder on my desktop, that way the folder reminds me to update often. The program will update BF2 and 2142 no matter where your game is installed as well.

Winter :P
ImageImage
Titi

Post by Titi »

Latest update and of course it did not auto update for me .... sigh ... again.

Is one of our servers Linux? (see text I made bold below)
Friday 08.24.2007 [7:45PM]

Version 1.732 of the PB Client for BF2 has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page.

Release Notes for PB Client v1.732:

this edition includes the new PB services, see our PB Services FAQ for more info
the current 64bit Linux PB server version will not auto-update to this new client, 64bit linux admins must download an updated pbsvnew.so into each 64bit BF2 server's pb folder and issue pb_sv_restart in order to be able to auto-update to this new PB Client and the latest cheat detections
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

well i manually updated PB and i still get loads of connection problems.
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

I remember reading somewhere that you can space out the PB game scans to help reduce the lag. Something that changes the scan from every 50ms to every 500ms, or something like that?!?

I'll try to find that thread/site and post it. It may help many of us out.
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

pb_sleep 500
pb_writecfg

write that in the console
MorpheusPT

Post by MorpheusPT »

what does it do, exactly? does it lower your ping?
Morph
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

MorpheusPT wrote:what does it do, exactly? does it lower your ping?
No. What it does is, it reduces the number of PB checks. So from default 20 (or whatever the number is) seconds, it checks your game every 500 seconds.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

It lengthens the time between PB checks. Tends to be helpful for people still having hard drive access when joining a game. It gives more time for whatever is accessing the drive to finish before PB does its checks.

I dont know what the platform the NA server is on, but it appears to be windows. Philor switched the Euro server over to Windows a month or so ago.

Connection problems could also be a sign of Virus/spyware problems or even internet provider probs. But PB has usually been the source of the problems. Is it all servers or only GC server that you have connection problems?
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

increases period ur machine talks to pb server (default 60)

also u can add

pb_sssave 1

at least was helpful back in isdn days to see whats causing conn probs
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

I have connection problems on all servers. But im using spybotSD every 3 days so i think im spyware-clean.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I think I have the same prob Sup.......... :cry:
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Titi

Post by Titi »

Here is the pb update to fix the pb update from four days ago :? 8O :x :evil: :cry:

Tuesday 08.28.2007 [7:30PM]
Version 1.735 of the PB Client for BF2 has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page.

Release Notes for PB Client v1.735:

the current 64bit Linux PB server version will not auto-update to this new client, 64bit linux admins must download an updated pbsvnew.so into each 64bit BF2 server's pb folder and issue pb_sv_restart in order to be able to auto-update to this new PB Client and the latest cheat detections