New PC

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Hashey

New PC

Post by Hashey »

Ok, so i finally got some money to start getting the stuff for a new pc(offcourse a better and faster one that i got now). I'm trying to salvage as much as i can from my current one, but i doubt it will help me a lot with that.

What i need new:

Tower
Processor
Motherboard
GFX Card
RAM Memory

What i was thinking of getting new:
Sound card
Harddrive(maybe even add an external HD)

Also wanted to get some other stuff like fan's for gfx card or perhaps a watercooler.

You will probably say that it all depends on the price i got/im willing to spend on it, but lets just say that i got enough.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

exciting! It's always fun getting a new computer together :)
Hi!
ASSCobra

Post by ASSCobra »

the first question is: Intel or AMD
the second question is: for gaming only? (most of the time)
Image<br>
C6 S.F.B
Image<br>
C5 Operation X
Image<br>
C4 KillerKrauts Image<br>
C3 S.C.U.M.
Image<br>
C2 US Marines and no bling bling
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New PC

Post by Shrapnel »

Hashey wrote:You will probably say that it all depends on the price i got/im willing to spend on it, but lets just say that i got enough.
There's no such thing as "enough." You can spend as much as you want even up into the millions of dollars if you had the resources and inclination.

Water cooling solutions start around $300 and go up from there. The cheesy ones you see for less actually preform worse than a good air cooling system at half the cost.

Which processor to use is the main decision. It will determine what mobo and type of RAM you will need to get. Right now I'm of the opinion that the Intel Core Duo is the best price to performance chip for a mid to high priced system ($250-350 for the processor). Below and above that point the AMDs have them beat.
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

Core 2 Duo seems pretty nice but good Mainboards are rare. Most boards available right now suffer from one or the other flaw that will be most likely fixed with the next series of boards coming out. AMD is not on par with the Core 2 Duo Chips but stills offers great value and is a very stable platform by now.

Get yourself 2GB Ram. If you got the $$$ add an X-Fi to your setup. It really makes a difference (at least for BF2).
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

You will probably say that it all depends on the price i got/im willing to spend on it, but lets just say that i got enough.
LMFAO!

Welp, if that's the case, I'd recommend getting the 3Dlabs Wildcat Realizm 800 (640 MB RAM) graphics card, that will cost you around 3000 alone...

http://shopper.cnet.com/3Dlabs_Wildcat_ ... 59162.html
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

Look, i ain't that rich, you tosser :P

Anyways, i just want something that's good enough for now, but it doesn't have to be the best of the best that there is atm.
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Hashey wrote:Look, i ain't that rich, you tosser :P

Anyways, i just want something that's good enough for now, but it doesn't have to be the best of the best that there is atm.
It would be faaar easier for people to help you if you divulged your budget.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Just a heads up, the duo core doesn't have any benefit for you, 'cause only a few games to none support it, and I would go for AMD not intel.....
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

I got around €1000/1250 to spend.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Hitman47_088 wrote:Just a heads up, the duo core doesn't have any benefit for you, 'cause only a few games to none support it, and I would go for AMD not intel.....
Core 2 Duo of Intel is not about having 2 CPU instead of one, (And anyway, all the good AMD processors now are in dual too)

It's about the fact that it is better than his AMD counterpart for a lower price!

Intel Core 2 Duo
X6800 (2.93 GHz, FSB1066, 4 Mo L2) : 999$
E6700 (2.66 GHz, FSB1066, 4 Mo L2) : 530$
E6600 (2.40 GHz, FSB1066, 4 Mo L2) : 316$
E6400 (2.13 GHz, FSB1066, 2 Mo L2) : 224$
E6300 (1.86 GHz, FSB1066, 2 Mo L2) : 183$

Be suprised or not, but the Core 2 E6400 of intel is about the same strengh of the FX-62, for a price of 224$ instead of 700$...

So what I would advice you is this :

Processor : E6600 (316$)

Motherboard : Well, it's your choice, just make sure it fit your needs (The type and number of HDD you gonna use, 1 or 2 PCI-X16 slot, etc...) and make sure to choose one that the CPU gonna fit on ;) (Either one with the P965 chipset or the 975X (but not all the X975 fit the Core 2 Duo, just look at that)

Graphic Card : You've got a lot of choice on the web, find one that fit your price range, like Ge7600GT to Ge7800 or X1600XT to X1800GTO

RAM Memory : 2 GB of ram should be enought
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Here's what I would go with:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115004

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131030

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121001

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231087

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835109122
- You'll need to buy a seperate fan for it.

That comes to around a grand US so you'll have $250 to spend on a case, sound card and HDDs or anything else you want. Looks like the X-Fi goes for about $120 so depending on the type of case you want you might not be able to get HDDs too, especially when you add in shipping as well.

Oh and don't forget the thermal paste. :wink:
Charger

Post by Charger »

Hark! Hark! The Quad-Cores are coming! The Quad-Cores are coming!
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Personnally I dont see the reason of the CPU cooler, unless he want to overclock his CPU, which I dont think he want to, then, the CPU stock vent will be enough...
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Ok it might be a bit over kill. :P

I did say it was what I would buy though and I would OC it a little bit. Everything on that list is easy to OC, even the RAM is noted for it's ability to OC nicely with minimal over volting. I'm also a diminishing returns guy which is why I went for the lower CPU (estimates are it could OC higher than a stock P6600) and a middle of the road Mobo. The 975 chipset has nicer memory controlling than the 965 but for nearly double the price I don't think it's worth it. Especially when it would need/want to be uupgraded in about three years anyway. :?