Which TFT' Monitor to buy?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

Which TFT' Monitor to buy?

Post by sushi »

Lets just pretend my 17'' tft is completely inadequate for gaming and "honey - you have to understand i have to purchase something new for the tax declaration of 2006".

Is there there a reasonable prized 19'' (or maybe bigger :twisted: ) monitor with perfect resolution suitable for gaiming out there? Or is it likely that the monitor I want is only to be availabe 2007?

how about this one(german website)
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

Check www.prad.de they have plenty tests, forum and what and specialized in TFT displays. Make sure you future TFT has a DVI input. I guess a Samsung 940/950 series will fit the bill. Compare prices at www.geizhals.at/deutschland
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
gribble

Post by gribble »

hehe.. when i looked at the topic i know which TFT I want to suggest.. now combining your suggestion and ph1l's weblink i give you this :twisted:

Yepp, it's the monitor tested on "ph1l's" website.. and for you non-german ppls, don't bother to click :)

I think of getting that baby myself. Don't think you should go for a 19", since they have the same resolution as the 17". Only two problem might be the WS resolution for some games and that the baby is not in stock everywhere.
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

1.680 x 1.050 mmmmh lovely. You would have to play windowed or let the display interpolate from a smaller resolution (1280 * 1024 interpolated is probably pretty useless) or live with black borders ;-) The added screen real estate in windows is awesome though. Dunno how much time you spend at the PC beyond gaming.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Colts

Post by Colts »

i´m not a pro in all that pc stuff but i´m more than happy with my "samsung syncmaster 931 bf"

i guess the "bf" means battlefield :twisted:
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

b usually means black.

Thing to think about is that LCDs have native resolutions that you will want to stay at in and out of games. I would take a 19" over a 17" with the same res just becuase its bigger and you can sit back more.

Also if you get a screen with a big resolution (1600x1200) make sure you have the video card power to drive that many pixels with the eye candy level you demand.
Winter_Lion

Re: Which TFT' Monitor to buy?

Post by Winter_Lion »

sushi25 wrote:Lets just pretend my 17'' tft is completely inadequate for gaming and "honey - you have to understand i have to purchase something new for the tax declaration of 2006".

Is there there a reasonable prized 19'' (or maybe bigger :twisted: ) monitor with perfect resolution suitable for gaiming out there? Or is it likely that the monitor I want is only to be availabe 2007?

how about this one(german website)
Ash wrote: I would take a 19" over a 17" with the same res just becuase its bigger and you can sit back more.
Iagree. When I jusmped from 17' CRT to 19" flat panel, I got a second wind, vision wise and it made it so much more enjoyable and of course your game improves as well when you are not straining to see the little stuff.

Just got back from shopping with my mum today. It was one of those sparkler days that makes the rest worth the effort............lol.

I bought a Toshiba 50" plasma hi-def monitor with built in dual digital tuners, USB for pics and music, analog and digital connections for the pc, Super-VHs, dual VDM, standard vid\audio rca, modular 5 wire, ect, ect, ect.

10,0000 to 1 contrast ratio, progressive scan, pixel plus for non Hi def movies and surround sound.
Absolutely no lag on a plasma and no ghosting. It's only weakness is that you can't walk away from it and leave a .non-moving image on the screen for any length of time. But who doesn't run a screen saver when they aren't gaming anyways, eh?

1799.00 plus a 100.00 rebate from Best buy and Costco.

I'll let ya know how it games, my brethern. It should be immersive at worst and intoxicating at best............lol. :D
ImageImage
gribble

Post by gribble »

btw, i bought this little baby yesterday.. so far it really looks nice. Check your local MediaMarkt, they have that thing in stock for a really nice price :)
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

gribble wrote:btw, i bought this little baby yesterday.. so far it really looks nice. Check your local MediaMarkt, they have that thing in stock for a really nice price :)
22" widescreen! Nice, Gribble. Very nice. Congrats on the new addition to the family.

Winter :D
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

the size is not everything :P

viewsonic vp930 (19") if i need larger one i'll buy another one ;) (thinEdge)
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

the size is not everything

Exactly what I used to tell my first girlfriend. She left anyways.....glum! 8O

lol.......Winter :oops:
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Just bought this one yesterday; LG L204wt 20.1 LCD . 2000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response. Not sure on it yet but I couldn't go wrong with the price - $350 cdn.. This is my first flat panel. First things I notice is that I enjoy the extra screen real estate and the extra desk space, but I'm not enjoying the fact that the blacks just arn't that black. Everything seems a little washed out. I guess I need to buy a screen calibrator next.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

BRUMMIE wrote:Just bought this one yesterday; LG L204wt 20.1 LCD . 2000:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response. Not sure on it yet but I couldn't go wrong with the price - $350 cdn.. This is my first flat panel. First things I notice is that I enjoy the extra screen real estate and the extra desk space, but I'm not enjoying the fact that the blacks just arn't that black. Everything seems a little washed out. I guess I need to buy a screen calibrator next.
:P
That black is what usually costs so much on the monitors that excel in contrast ratios, ect.

Nice price for that size and LG has become a leader in the industry. For the money you saved, buy some dark sunglasses and you won't mind the very dark grey instead of black.
ImageImage