Building a new computer (resolved)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

or better yet: send me some money and make the world a better place :wink:

jk. I think that ash and pinkass probably know better than me, but from what I see any of the setups posted above just about shoot every PC available out of the water. they all pwn mine pretty well, and my PC that I built is only a year old. then again, I didnt have 5 grand to spend on it... :roll:

now for my question: if I were to get a laptop, what should I get that would cost from the 1-2k range, 2k max?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

i've got a decent economy machine under 500 without monitor i priced up for a friend and am gona build for him
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

matsif wrote:now for my question: if I were to get a laptop, what should I get that would cost from the 1-2k range, 2k max?
2k Max? Well, mine cost me 2299$ CAD whitout taxes, which is pretty close to 2k US...

I think you can have something like a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo with 1-2go of ram and a Go7900 GS 256, maybe 512 or a GTX 512, which would be pretty cool ;)

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pde ... oid=336035

This one is not bad, maybe add another Gb of ram... The GPU is very good for a notebook, you will get desktop performance on that one...
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

Ramrod64 wrote:Asking friends what to buy 0 $
Buying the equitment about 5000 $

Picture of you if you noticed that the single parts doesn't fit together - Priceless
LOL one of my fears... im good at troubleshooting, and putting em together.. but knowing if they fit... ugh
Rickey

Re: Building a new computer

Post by Rickey »

Gravis wrote: --------------------------------------------------
Stuff ive liked from below :)

Video Card:
eVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130079
$619.99
(Not sure if i want 2 or not)

MotherBoard
ASUS CROSSHAIR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131593
$229.99

PSU:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817703005
$169.99

Sound:
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail
Item #: N82E16829102005
$145.99
If you're going to use that Motherboard, then you are stuck with an AMD processor.

You need to pick your CPU and GPU first, that's the centerpieces of your machine. Then get a MoBo that will work with them, and make sure the MoBo has enough expansion room to put in all the goodies you want. (enough USB ports, enough PCI slots, etc...) Once you have those three [CPU, GPU, MoBo], then you need to find Ram that is going to work with the MoBo. DDR2 Ram is really picky, so pay attention to the required voltages and timings, and find the ram that will work. Then I would look at a power supply. (see below for my speech on PSU's) So, now you should have [CPU, GPU, MoBo, Ram, PSU] Those are the things you HAVE to have working to POST. The other things will be more like plug and play (or plug and "pray", according to your past experiences), assuming you don't try to use IDE interfaces with SATA ports, everything else should be relatively idiot proof, and will work with nearly any configuration. But those 5 I listed have to be right, or you're going to be very frustrated.

On Graphics:
If you get the above GPU, I don't really see a reason to get two. It's a beast, and it's already benchmarked higher than anything else out there. You can always get another one later and hook them up in SLI if you decide you want more graphics power, which I honestly cannot imagine. Keep in mind if you do, you'll need an even more powerful PSU.

On Power:
A lot of companies will make outrageous claims of wattage, but you need to look at amperage too. Amps are the true measure of electrical power. I can put 50,000 volts into you, and it will hurt, but you will survive, as long as the amps are low. Crank that up to 100 amps, and you'll be toe-tagged. The higher the amps, especially on the 12 volt rails, the better. That's why I like the PC Power & Cooling PSU's, they have great amperage. Some components will require a certain amperage, some will not, so look for that. Fyi: Watts = Volts x Amps
Amps are the # of electrons in a circuit, and Volts are the potential energy in a circuit, Wattage is just a name someone came up with to more easily describe Voltage and Amperage.
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

see that why i posted here rickey :) lol... can you find me a mother board to support all that lol :) (i wasnt thinking about the processor for that mobo lol)
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

Some notes maybe from me,
I'm feeling sorry to say this but

High End CPU
Intel 2 core extreme

High End Gfx Card
Nvidia

are at the moment the best working combinition I know, I dont know why I still have a favor for AMD and ATI (I think it is the price politics) hope they will be back in high end buissness as soon as possible!

I would say the raptor Hdds with => 10.000 rpm

like the
Raptors of Western Digitals

(only for you gaming partition, and maybe OS)
would be suitable for this power gaming system you want to take else it will brake your system.

And I think Rickey wrote good informations how to choose,
------
cpu (buy the boxed version, i think the waranty is longer and if there is no glue between cpu and cooling element you can change it :) )
mainboard
ram (make sure that you will have enough if you want to setup vista)
------
Tower (prefer Aluminum cause of weight and better cooling effect)
Coolingsystem (I wouldn't take watercooling, some good zalman cool you pc down and are quite silent - but look at the waranty informations! (take not the fatality editions only marketing ^^)
HDD
-----
extentions cards:
gfx card
soundcard
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

I have been looking at this case as it has a ton of room for stuff. It is steel and tall though can handle any PSU and even dual PSU. It uses a interesting fan that is as tall as the case which is said to cool like no other and there is room for 2. It has a ton of bays so you can do all kinds of stuff with it. Anyway thought I would share.

Case. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1220/ ... ml?tl=g1c7

Fan. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2428/ ... g36c15s462
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

To add to the decisions.

Are you going with an IDE DVD drive?

Possibly a RAID of 2 SATA drives? Most highend motherboards have RAID. You could put in a pair of 200gb (or whatever size) drives. Shows as a single 400gb while windows and games load pretty damn fast. Downside of that RAID configuration is that if you dont back up and you lose one of the drives, you're hosed. . Or you could go with the normal load times and have 1 drive mirror the other so in case of a drive failure, the other one has you backed up. I prefer WD and Seagate

Also, you'll want to understand and have drivers ready for the RAID before you install Windows.
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

I have never used raid, but planned on it with this systems, since it seems ide is old technology... i dont mind having a 400gb drive... but i prefer to keep things seperated :) like on my current computer i have 4 physical drives (1 external) but my main drive is partitioned in half for windows, and general storage.

Also some good news... mine, and my wife's w-2's just came in the mail today :)
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Trust me on this, STAY AMD. The 64-bit version of Vista is quite superior to the x86, and youll get better performance out of an AMD 64 on Vista 64.

Also, if youre going top of the line, look at eVGA's KO edition of the 8800GTX. Thats the one I have ordered, and its got better cooling than the superclocked version.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

im just gonna pay someone to build it and ship it to me lol
PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

All Intel Core2 and above are 64bit cpus + 64 bit vista does not support unassigned drivers [non WHQL] , 32 bit version does.
Quite crucial fact atm concidering the drivers status from majority of manufacturers.
But yet again its Your choice :wink:
Rickey

Post by Rickey »

This thread is REALLY making me want to build another machine... I doubt Uncle Sam is going to be so generous to me however. :x
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

The Core 2s are 64bit by emulation only, as my understanding goes. Not to mention the fact that it was AMD that designed the x64 architecture, and Vista 64 was designed around their system.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!