Crashing to server browser

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Crashing to server browser

Post by Shrapnel »

So I've been running BF2 fine for a couple months now and all of a sudden I can't join any servers. I log into my account fine but when I select a server it shows the "joining server" dialog then returns me to the browser. :?

I figured reinstalling BF2 would fix it but I can't uninstall it...

It gives me the "preparing to install" window but when that finishes it crashes to desktop. I have tried manually removing it by deleting the files and removing the registery entries using regedit. I must be missing something somewhere though because BF2 still shows in my add/remove programs window as 12mb.

Also when I try to install the game from the DVD I get the same crash to desktop erroras when uninstalling it.

I can only think of 2 things that I've changed recently. One was a windows update and validation, the other was installing the F.E.A.R. demo which upgraded my directx.

I have run a dxdiag and it found no errors, I also dl'd and installed the directx runtime from MS's website. I don't know of anyway to unvalidate my windows without reinstalling, which I sure hope I don't have to do.

Everything else seems to run fine it's just BF2 and the BF2 installer that is a problem. Hope you guys have some ideas cause I'm out except for reinstalling windows. :x
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
syL

Post by syL »

Only thing I can think of is the BF2 folder in my documents and settings, which happens to be 9 MB on my comp and contains most of the config files. I ran into a problem after switching screens, my new one wasn't able to handle as many hz as the new one so I had to manually change the config files, because BF just refused to load up.

It's a long shot, but there's always a chance some bs contaminated your config files.
Dedicated to the Steelworkers of America. Keep reaching for that rainbow!
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Woot figured it out. 8)

Well, the uninstall problem at least reinstalling now so we'll see if the cash to browser issue solves itself.

The uninstall issue was the BF2 Editor. Apparently the registry entries cross reference or something. Anyways, I manually uninstalled the editor and now the BF2 installer works.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Crash to browser upon joining a game is caused by the game being inable to find your cd-key, meaning somehow it was removed from the registry, however reinstalling will fix that because you need to reinput your cd key.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

heh, good to know Assasin. Not sure how my CD key got removed since I didn't start playing around in the registery until after the problem arose. Anyways, the reinstall did fix it and I managed to play about 20 minutes of the battle today before I had to go to work.