BF2 Freezing in Battle

Post by Archangel »

Okay, heres my specs:
Geforce 6800 GT
AMD 3500+
1gb RAM
Audigy Gamer
160 gb SATA HDD

Okay, I join into a game and the exact time varies, sometimes when I just start to run around other times right after I clicked Join Game. It freezes my entire system.

Any ideas?
If I were to list out all of my names/ranks from all campaigns there would be complaints that my sig was too long. Suffice to say I've held 1 of each rank at least once.

Ya know? Common sense? Not that common...
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Under clock your RAM, CPU and Video card (yes all 3) to see if that creates a difference at all. Some people had luck with dropping their RAM from 400 to 333.

Update your sound and video drivers.

Turn off the sound in the game and see if that helps.
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

I had a disconnection problem which I fixed by running my DDR ram in single mode, sad but true, curse you EA!
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

RAM Underclocked: No effect
RAM Already is @ 333MHz (its the speed I had and a friend was using it w/BF2 so it itself is okay)

Vid card driver & Soundcard driver are both newest drivers
I even switched the vid card over to the driver that comes with BF2 to no effect
Sound turned off - No effect

I have no idea how to lower the vid card or the CPU if they're already default.

I tried using the lowest possible settings but that didn't help either
If I were to list out all of my names/ranks from all campaigns there would be complaints that my sig was too long. Suffice to say I've held 1 of each rank at least once.

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

How about turning off the sound in BF2 menu?
deathbot9000

Post by deathbot9000 »

any entries in your application or system logs?

If you don't know how to check, right click on My Computer, choose 'manage'

expand the "Event Viewer', click on either app or sys to view the logs to the left. look for errors (red) or warnings (yellow).
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

You can do alot with that vid card with a application called NVTweak. Free and very comprehensive. I overdrive my 6800 by 30 percent cpu and memory and it flys with no glitchs or heat. Try it if you get that far in your troubleshooting.

I used to have an Audigy gamer that ran too close to the freq that my vid card wanted to run. Around thirty or thirty five i think it was. They spent years fighting in the forums about how to fix it.

Bottom line, they found a way to fix it, just about the time that Audigy two came out. lol.

Try pulling the audigy card out and run pc without it for a day. See what you find out mate.

Winter :D
ImageImage
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

Also shut off all this little background programs that run.

uninstall/Reinstall bf2 might help. Or reformat, reinstall windows.

unisntall/reinstall drivers helps sometimes too.

Is something running hot in your pc? IF you don't have anything overclocked then maybe open case and blow a big ass fan into it. Is your pc dusty?
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Check to see if your video card is sharing the same IRQ with any other hardware.

Also, give PCI Latency tool a try. It can help clean up some lag. I've been using it for the last couple years. I set my video card latency to 64.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Looking into the PCI latency thing, I've got PCI express so that doesn't see to be the issue.
There are no logs when it locks up upon freezing BF2, but sometimes after restarting my comp it does restart by itself sometimes, and that does leave a log, I couldn't read anything useful from it but here it is anyway.
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00408141, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 b94578d4.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
I may have to reformat (even though I don't want to)...

Although furthering my investigations I did come across the fact that my NIC's MAC address is... 00E04CDEAD34.
And I have yet to try it but I want to see if playing any other games online will work.

Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Here is another error that I get often enough... I've never messed with DCOM, anyone else :D
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Almost sounds like a virus.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I take it, you went to the microsoft addy listed in the error messages, Archangel? What did they say or was it just another microsoft disclaimer that they no longer support that application? :P

Winter 8O
ImageImage
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Yeah I did, the insturctions didn't help... It wanted me to do something with a specific application that was supposed to be listed in the error message, my only guess is that its one of the strings of hex. I'm installing an antivirus now. I think ash might be right.

Archangel

Post by Archangel »

there indeed was a virus, although it doesn't seem to have been my problem with BF2... Still trying to figure this out.