Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

.Sup
Executive
Executive

Re: NA server?

Post by .Sup »

Ash2Dust wrote:Also as another tangent.

Anyone see any good webpage plug ins for BF3. Sorta like TS3 on our homepage. One that shows number of players or some such on the BF3 server?
Game.monitor doesn't support BF3 yet, Game tracker doesn't find our server. Its planned to be incorporated as soon as its available by Game Monitor. See staging for reference: http://staging.global-conflict.org/portal.php
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

I know I've been out of the loop lately, so any updates on getting the NA server?
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

WoodenPlank wrote:I know I've been out of the loop lately, so any updates on getting the NA server?
How was the NA guys experience last battle day? It's still not been decided yet on whether we're getting an NA server AFAIK.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

styphon wrote:
WoodenPlank wrote:I know I've been out of the loop lately, so any updates on getting the NA server?
How was the NA guys experience last battle day? It's still not been decided yet on whether we're getting an NA server AFAIK.
To me, it's not just about battle days, it's about recruitment. No NA server = very weak NA recruiting.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Im willing to deal with the ping lag on the EU server because I can then blame my k/d ratio on battleday on it and still have a good time. Just wish GC had a strong NA core like it use to. Even better if it was West coast based. Tho with the BF3 release, I've seen alot of NA players join in on TS and start gaming together again.

If we have a group of NA players willing to seed (and dedicate to it) a NA server with light gameplay rules several times a week. I think we can easily launch a 32 player server that focused on teamwork and advertising. Its geting that group together and not having MIA's.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ash2Dust wrote:Im willing to deal with the ping lag on the EU server because I can then blame my k/d ratio on battleday on it and still have a good time. Just wish GC had a strong NA core like it use to. Even better if it was West coast based. Tho with the BF3 release, I've seen alot of NA players join in on TS and start gaming together again.

If we have a group of NA players willing to seed (and dedicate to it) a NA server with light gameplay rules several times a week. I think we can easily launch a 32 player server that focused on teamwork and advertising. Its geting that group together and not having MIA's.
I'd be a lot more interested in playing on a regular basis if we had a NA GC server, and would happily help out with seeding, etc. For whatever reason, I get so much lag on the Euro server that it's often not even worth trying.
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

The problem is really it is not really that important for recruting to have a server in any one country. We have gotten more players pubbing. It is not cheap to rent a server and from what I have seen it has very little impact on gameplay no matter where the server is. I play more on servers in the EU then in NA and I really cannot tell any differance. My opinion of course but we need money to rent and there is no need for 2 severs IMO. It is really up to the people that put money into this community so if we get donations to do it then we will I am sure.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Von_Krieg wrote:The problem is really it is not really that important for recruting to have a server in any one country. We have gotten more players pubbing. It is not cheap to rent a server and from what I have seen it has very little impact on gameplay no matter where the server is. I play more on servers in the EU then in NA and I really cannot tell any differance. My opinion of course but we need money to rent and there is no need for 2 severs IMO. It is really up to the people that put money into this community so if we get donations to do it then we will I am sure.
I;m sure we would get more recruits via a server than we do from pubbing. Also, we can mitigate some of the costs with a smaller server. For current needs, I'd think a 32p server would be just fine. Easier to keep populated, less lag issues, and still fun to play on. Plus, you can always run Conquest Large on 32p servers.
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

there is nothing about these servers that look any different then another one. Recruiting comes from playing with people and seeing how they are, not because they have a server. We have gotten a few people to join up by pubbing and none form what I see from the EU server.

In BF2 you could do more but there is nothing that would make people play here any more because we have a server. In BF2 we ran an unranked server and we did fine. I would say most of our people game form the people and not because we had a server.

I would be against a server unless it could be used for battleday and that needs to be 64 player. No sense in a 32 player server. I still see no real need for an NA server. Again my opinion. If you want to donate a server I am sure Brummie would like that :).
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I think the EU server would attract people (and therefore a NA server as well) if people were playing on it every day. Pubbies keep coming back to servers they like if its always populated.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ash2Dust wrote:I think the EU server would attract people (and therefore a NA server as well) if people were playing on it every day. Pubbies keep coming back to servers they like if its always populated.
Exactly. Plus, when you are pubbing on random servers you can't use admin tools to advertise the website, or to enforce any kind of fairplay rules like we do in the campaign. You want to give people an idea of what GC campaigns are like, not give them a server full of idiots that exploit, stat pad, base rape, etc.
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Right now we dont have the tools on our server, do we?

If we cant add Banners, Automatic Admin-Messages etc. i dont see the point how our own server would help attract people.
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Chefcook wrote:Right now we dont have the tools on our server, do we?

If we cant add Banners, Automatic Admin-Messages etc. i dont see the point how our own server would help attract people.
Those things can be done with some pain (banner may be still in concept despite server commands). Those do nothing on an empty server. A server attracts people when they want to come back to it time after time. EU players seem to occasionally populate for a couple hours. The EU server isnt getting new players unless GC EU's keep it populated. Everytime we get the EU server filling up is when we get 4-6 players on it to seed. Otherwise empty.

GC NA people need to get 4+ people to say they are willing to seed a server routinely every day before a NA server can become a useful recruiting tool. I dont see how we can realistically recruit NA players without having an active server. Great get a server, ok, who are the active people that will populate it to make it an advertising tool? I see alot of empty servers already existing so the build it and they will come is already in play. I'll actively help seeding a NA server along with seeding the EU server, but there needs to be alot more people helping.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

You can set up auto-admin messages to spam messages every x number of seconds.
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

for me it's just fair to have a NA 64 server for battledays not only to attract, if GC has the money to pay.
only down side to me is splitting up during pup play, NAs on NA server and €s on € server :( but this is not a big prob playing time differs as well.