BF3 field report#3 - Multiplayer game modes

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

.Sup
Executive
Executive

BF3 field report#3 - Multiplayer game modes

Post by .Sup »

Its confirmed that there will be 5 game modes for multiplayer available.
Team Deathmatch, Squad Deathmatch, Rush, Squad Rush and finally Conquest.

Conquest is the only mode that will allow 64 players, next is the Rush mode which can allow up to 32 players and where you have to defend or attack M-COM stations. The rest only allow up to 23 players or less which can be great for Tuesday battles and would inject some diversity into the campaign if it will be included.

For those who want a more realistic mode there will be the hardcore mode which is also available in BC2. Another great news is that we will have infantry only mode again. The only vehicles you will see in the game will be vehicles for transport.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BF3 field report#3 - Multiplayer game modes

Post by styphon »

Beat you to it by a minute :P viewtopic.php?f=109&t=16452
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

So...

Does =GC= play Hardcore Mode?

How does everyone feel about playing one campaign day during the week? (You vets know it as Black Ops)
Hi!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

styphon wrote:Beat you to it by a minute :P viewtopic.php?f=109&t=16452
Yeah I know. If they didn't have sooo many game modes I would have beaten you by more than just one minute. :)

Hardcore mode? Hard to say, its no exactly the mode why I went into BF series but if enough members want to play it then I would do my best and try to fit in.

Tuesday battles would be a great just not sure if for our very first BF3 camp. There's enough to be organized already, Black ops might be too much for the campaign system planners.
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

Gotta say this is actually somewhat disappointing.

I understand limiting the traditional game modes like the Squad Team Death Match or whatever they call it, but only 32 players allowed in Rush mode? Why?

This honestly makes me think that they had to limit the maps to some degree in Rush mode. And if they had to put that kind of work into each map, re-sizing and editing for each game mode, that probably means there aren't a ton of maps. I'm a bit of a pessimist I know but this quite possibly the only BF3 News I wasn't stoked to hear.
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Seems I don't need to be a pessimist anymore, EA confirmed my worst fears:

BF3 only has 9 maps.

9 is OKAY, decent at best for a shooter game. Given the different modes most public players might not have a problem with it but running dynamic War-Campaigns is going to be pretty tough with only 9 different places to do it.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

I'm all for running in hardcore mode, but I'm not fussed either way tbh.
Dareitus wrote:Gotta say this is actually somewhat disappointing.

I understand limiting the traditional game modes like the Squad Team Death Match or whatever they call it, but only 32 players allowed in Rush mode? Why?

This honestly makes me think that they had to limit the maps to some degree in Rush mode. And if they had to put that kind of work into each map, re-sizing and editing for each game mode, that probably means there aren't a ton of maps. I'm a bit of a pessimist I know but this quite possibly the only BF3 News I wasn't stoked to hear.
Rush is linear, there's only so many people you can have running forward, and so many people defending one point, before it just becomes a slaughter with no chance of the attackers being able to win.
Dareitus wrote:Seems I don't need to be a pessimist anymore, EA confirmed my worst fears:

BF3 only has 9 maps.

9 is OKAY, decent at best for a shooter game. Given the different modes most public players might not have a problem with it but running dynamic War-Campaigns is going to be pretty tough with only 9 different places to do it.
Hopefully they'll release the mod tools soon and it wont be long before decent custom maps start appearing.
Last edited by styphon on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Something else of concern:

The player cap for Conquest mode is 32 or 64 players. This may simply be to illustrate that the owner of a server can choose how many people to allow in his game or it could be because one or more of the conquest maps is too small/crowded/advanced whatever to support 64 players and is therefore 32 player only. Early to tell but if that's the case we may be down to even less than 9 maps for 64 Player battles.

I don't want to be all "Negative Nancy" though.

Some good news I picked up, The BF3 beta has been Gold for well over a week now! Microsoft and Sony have had their hands on the beta for some time now and are into the final processes of allowing the beta to be released on 360 and PS3. To those of you shaking your heads at console news, EA and DICE have decided to postpone the PC version of the Beta until they can do a simultaneous release with the Console versions. Ah yes it all makes sense now. Once Sony and Microsoft have finished testing the games to ensure it won't hurt their precious home consoles we should get our chance to try it out again.

Closed-Beta Access:

People who Purchased Medal of Honor before June 26th (PC or Console, Disk not Required)
People who Pre-Ordered Battlefield 3
People who Participated in the Battlefield 3 Alpha
Select "Battlefield Fans" Selected based on ownership of other Battlefield Franchise Games

EDIT: Just tweeted by EA, the Open-Beta will start TWO DAYS after the Closed-Beta. So if you are thinking about running out and making a pre-order just for the Closed-Beta you might want to think again, it's only TWO DAYS of extra game time for the closed beta and open vs just the open.
Last edited by HumanSpeedbumpAK on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Dareitus wrote:Seems I don't need to be a pessimist anymore, EA confirmed my worst fears:

BF3 only has 9 maps.

+ BF2 maps that you get in LE edition of the game right? That's really not to bad for me, I am used to play one map over and over...
HumanSpeedbumpAK

I forgot about the 4 maps in Back to Karkand. 13 isn't bad I was hoping for 12!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Dareitus wrote:I forgot about the 4 maps in Back to Karkand. 13 isn't bad I was hoping for 12!
we only really need Karkand any way :P

We didn't play Karkand much at GC and when we did it was a spam fest. I remember in an alley that leads from Hotel to Square people were dying over and over from grenades and they still kept going into that alley like it was the only way to get to Square. Was quite hilarious actually.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

.Sup wrote:
Dareitus wrote:I forgot about the 4 maps in Back to Karkand. 13 isn't bad I was hoping for 12!
Pft! Screw Karkand, I want Sharqi!!!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

styphon wrote:
.Sup wrote:
Pft! Screw Karkand, I want Sharqi!!!
Sharqi is great too, on of the best, I agree. Overall I am very happy with the selection of maps included in the Limited edition map pack.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Ok I say the word of ultimate doom, the map that EA apparently believes is a must and somehow I liked in BF42 but hated since: WAKE! :evil:

Sigh: I miss Operation Barbarossa and all the qwl custom maps of the good ol times.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

sushi25 wrote:Ok I say the word of ultimate doom, the map that EA apparently believes is a must and somehow I liked in BF42 but hated since: WAKE! :evil:

Sigh: I miss Operation Barbarossa and all the qwl custom maps of the good ol times.
Heh Wake was my fav BF2 conquest map but one of least favourite in 42. Sushi I think our marriage wouldn't work out. Sorry!