NA server?

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

NA server?

Post by WoodenPlank »

While we already have our EU/UK server up and running, what about an NA server? As things stand currently, the EU server is nearly unplayable for me due to the dodgy netcode, so I don't spend very much time on it. I imagine this is going to happen for a LOT of NA players, which is going to cause us problems both in the campaign, and in recruiting on this side of the Atlantic.

I know money is a concern, but what about renting a slightly smaller (say, 32-48 player) server for a NA pub server for recruiting purposes? This could give us a potential battle day server (depending on numbers, or upgrading to 64 once the campaign starts if we have the bodies), but (more importantly, in my eyes) a great recruiting tool for new NA-based players.

So, does anyone have an update on a NA server? Thoughts, comments otherwise?
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: NA server?

Post by Shrapnel »

Have you tried playing on other EU servers?

We're thinking that the lag may be due to our provider since others have reported rubber banding on our server but not on other server located in the EU.

Those who don't experience rubber banding on EU servers also report that they don't notice any difference in latency. If it would be possible for us to run with just one server it would be better not only financially but logisticly since we wouldn't have to switch servers mid-day during battles.

That said, having a back-up server in case things get fudged up on one of them also has its benefits.

Any way, the update right now is that we're looking into a new EU provider and exploring the possibility of running with just one server, at least for the first camp.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

A ticket request has been put in to re-locate the server to Rotterdam. These are not dedicated servers and it should be just a re-routing request. I'll post the outcome.
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Hello,

We have space available in Rotterdam and Frankfurt. I would advice Rotterdam, even though the systems are the same in London / Frankfurt and Rotterdam. We have a direct connection to London from Rotterdam.
Please let us know if you want us to proceed.

Best regards,

Nick van Liempt
Sales Manager

E-mail Support: info@i3d.net
E-mail NOC: noc@i3d.net

Office:
Interactive 3D B.V.
Meent 93b
3011 JG Rotterdam
The Netherlands

Visit www.smartdc.net – SmartDC is our in-house 36,000 sq. ft. datacenter in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. High density hosting – multiple fiber carriers in-house – Level3 PoP.

Interactive 3D (i3D.net) is a company registered in The Netherlands at Meent 93b, Rotterdam. Registration #: 14074337 - VAT # NL 8202.63.886.B01. Interactive 3D (i3D.net) is CDSA certified on content protection and security. We are ranked in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 as one of the fastest growing technology companies.

Op 9-11-2011 1:07, NIREST@SHAW.CA schreef:
> Opmerkingen : We seem to be having problems with our 64-player BF3 server located in London.
> These problems range from lag to rubber-banding and become extreme
> when we try to play 64 slots. We would like to move our server
> location to either Rotterdam or a more central European. Please let me
> know how we can achieve that. Thanks. IP: 70.66.201.27
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Rotterdam should be much better than London. We have our i3d server (our clan) located in .de and it doesn't lag except on Tehran Highway. Maybe madcow can give his input as he had played there. Everyone could try it out.http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/se ... JCOMP-NET/
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Request already sent in to move to Rotterdam. Not sure of the timeline though.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Shrapnel wrote:Have you tried playing on other EU servers?
Not that I can remember. Unfortunately, I even get similar issues with NA servers on occasion. It seems to be really intermittent, possibly due to routing changes between myself and the server.

I'm kinda taking a break from the game at the moment, mainly due to all the issues - netcode being the biggest culprit. Maybe DiCE will actually put out some real patch info soon, instead of putting out piecemeal via twitter. :roll:
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

Sorry to hear that plank, I was wondering where you went.

Move it to Rotterdam and lets see how it goes.

I have had little issue with EU servers though after the patch last night I was more laggy on all servers. I still need to upgrade my CPU.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Von_Krieg wrote:Sorry to hear that plank, I was wondering where you went.

Move it to Rotterdam and lets see how it goes.

I have had little issue with EU servers though after the patch last night I was more laggy on all servers. I still need to upgrade my CPU.
What patch? Was the patch for the game released already?
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

.Sup wrote:What patch? Was the patch for the game released already?
There was an Origin patch iirc.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Not related to a NA server, but the relocated EU server is up.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Plank, I too really wish Dice would stop trying to hide the lag and fix it if possible. Unfortunately, my experience with every BF game has been when they release big client updates (usually around expansion or map releases). It feels like they are adding a layer on top of the existing code making it slightly more laggier.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The Euro server situation seems to be working out now with zero rubberbands. Its a good server now and I'll still play on it on battledays. The few times I flew, it felt smooth.

While I can play the EU server, it wont attract any NA players to GC.
May want to look at possibly a 32 player NA server to start (lower cost) and then examine if GC wants to go 64 before the first battleday.
We may have to cycle thru a couple data centers in NA also.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ash2Dust wrote:The Euro server situation seems to be working out now with zero rubberbands. Its a good server now and I'll still play on it on battledays. The few times I flew, it felt smooth.

While I can play the EU server, it wont attract any NA players to GC.
May want to look at possibly a 32 player NA server to start (lower cost) and then examine if GC wants to go 64 before the first battleday.
We may have to cycle thru a couple data centers in NA also.
This is my concern. Even if it sees limited battle day use, a NA server (in my eyes) is a must for recruiting purposes.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Also as another tangent.

Anyone see any good webpage plug ins for BF3. Sorta like TS3 on our homepage. One that shows number of players or some such on the BF3 server?