GC Youtube channel?

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

jejatt

Re: GC Youtube channel?

Post by jejatt »

I spent a few hours yesterday setting up my computer for a stream. Its not the best resolution but i think it will be fun to watch. If someone has any experience in streaming and want to help me improve the setup i could use the help.

For now i just left a small clip up.

www.twitch.tv/jejatt
ImageImage
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

looks good jejatt. What software are you using to stream there?
jejatt

Post by jejatt »

.Sup wrote: What software are you using to stream there?
Thats right, i forgot. I followed a tutorial from famous starcraft streamer Destiny. Its a two part setup, first you capture the video with VH Screen Capture 2.2.8 (VHSC) and then compress it with Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2 (FMLE). Both are free to download.

It takes a bit of reading but its not hard to do, just hard on your computer as it takes a lot of cpu.

:arrow: Read here.
http://www.quantic-destiny.com/newbies- ... streaming/

:arrow: Here is a guide for another solution, Xsplit. Easier to set up but i felt like you had less control and it turned out a bit too grainy.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=309480
ImageImage
FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

May I quietly remind people that a live stream would offer significant tactical advantages to the other team.
TacticalVirus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacticalVirus »

May I direct you to my second last post which explains why it DOESN'T offer an advantage?

First off they would have to find the stream, which isn't likely unless we have some assholes in our respective directorates.
Secondly, the amount of useful information that could be gleaned from most people's views of the battle would be nil, especially if you compare the time spent trying to re-interpret it into something useful for the enemy FC versus running a MAV and using the Q button. About the only useful information would be hearing channel commander chatter, and even then by the time it's been relayed they'd have seen it happening in game.
jejatt

Post by jejatt »

.Sup wrote:Yeah best would be that we use a site that allows multiple users upload to a common account.
If we set up a KI user on twitch and then invite other users we can do this.
This way there can always be someone streaming during battle days.

This is what it looks like in the settings
Skärmavbild 2012-03-05 kl. 15.08.14.png
Skärmavbild 2012-03-05 kl. 15.08.14.png (17.58 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
ImageImage
FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

TacticalVirus wrote:May I direct you to my second last post which explains why it DOESN'T offer an advantage?

First off they would have to find the stream, which isn't likely unless we have some assholes in our respective directorates.
Secondly, the amount of useful information that could be gleaned from most people's views of the battle would be nil, especially if you compare the time spent trying to re-interpret it into something useful for the enemy FC versus running a MAV and using the Q button. About the only useful information would be hearing channel commander chatter, and even then by the time it's been relayed they'd have seen it happening in game.
It completely obviates the use of a MAV, as friendly radar would be shown, channel commander would be heard in it's entirety and before it was acted upon (thus allowing defenders information on where people were coming from, as travel times factor) and allowing enemy air power to be directed in pinpoint fashion.

The other thing is, the point of a GC channel is publicity, which is also nullified by having to lock it down.

Were the bold/italics tags necessary? I'm sorry if I don't read posts in previous pages, but there's no need for that.
jejatt

Post by jejatt »

I hear what you are saying flash, but i really don't think that the other team would abuse something like this. We are all here for the friendly and team focused games and i don't think hit corp FC/HC would play so foul.
ImageImage
TacticalVirus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacticalVirus »

I'm not sure if you've ever run the MAV in an overwatch position, but it is a hell of a lot better than watching someone's livestream to determine enemy positions. On top of that, you have to take into account transition time. The person watching it has to hear the orders, then relay them to his own command, who then has to react to it. I don't think that would be any faster than people seeing it in game and reporting it back, or having the movement spotted by a MAV. As for air power, in my experience we're the ones who direct traffic, not the other way around. We see things developing at the same time or sooner than the FC and react accordingly. If your Squad Leaders are using Channel Commander properly, they get air support based on their comms. That's why Runaway was the only one being supported by air regularly on K2's Oman, he was actually using comms effectively.

The point of the livestream originally was to give guys in our directorate something to watch while they sit out, instead of sitting in vent trying to piece together what's going on. Pre-recorded videos were the "Publicity" material.

That being said, I don't see why we couldn't run a public stream. As much as HITs been playing fast and loose with the fairplay rules I would think it would be fairly obvious to the TAs on their side when they started relaying that info on TS. Not that I think it would actually give a tactical advantage when you factor everything in, but if you're that worried about it throw it up as part of the fairplay rules.
CountBelasarius
Executive
Executive

Post by CountBelasarius »

As a TA I have pretty minimal concerns about the use of this to gain some sort of advantage for one team.

TA's this campaign are squad leaders and in the rare event we're not called on to SL we still have channel commander on. Any use of this information to gain advantages would almost certainly be heard of by TA's and I personally would pursue severe sanctions on anyone using live feeds to gain advantages.

Beyond that I have faith in each army's HC and officers not to use a cheap tactic like this.

On the whole good quality videos with good TS chatter are a great tool for creating lessons learned for each army and more importantly are great publicity for the community.
lC8l - GL*FSG
lC9l - WY*COL
lC10l - GE=EMP
lC11l - 11BCPT
lC12l - AH*BRG
lC13l - CU-SGT
BF3 C1 - [WH2]
BF3 C2 - [TA]
BF3 C3 - [TA]
BF3 C4 - [TA]
BF3 C5 - [TA]
BF3 C6 - [TA]
BF4:C1 [☭] Komandir
FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

Livestreams were one thing that we considered during opening weeks of Globe planning, but we didn't feel that it would work out.

However, as Duke pointed out, video recordings of communication and actions during battledays would be a great thing to show the world as an example of what GC is about.
Matt01SS

Post by Matt01SS »

I've got a twitch tv account setup and recorded from last weekend battleday:

http://www.twitch.tv/matt01ss/

(The Sharqi video shows good communication in attack chopper)
Feel free to use any of this for promotions/youtube

I can also record straight to my HD at a much higher quality instead of streaming it live and letting twitchtv save it.
TacticalVirus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacticalVirus »

Still need to do some troubleshooting but all signs point to me not being a good stream candidate. Having technical issues in terms of frame rate and lag in the stream, and that's at 5am eastern with only the stream and BF3 running. On a battleday it'll be running two instances of BF3 and TS so it's probably not going to work so well.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

If it doesn't work well with your configuration then don't worry about it, I'm sure somebody else will be able to do it. Thanks for your dedication Tv :)
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

CountBelasarius wrote:As a TA I have pretty minimal concerns about the use of this to gain some sort of advantage for one team.

TA's this campaign are squad leaders and in the rare event we're not called on to SL we still have channel commander on. Any use of this information to gain advantages would almost certainly be heard of by TA's and I personally would pursue severe sanctions on anyone using live feeds to gain advantages.

Beyond that I have faith in each army's HC and officers not to use a cheap tactic like this.

On the whole good quality videos with good TS chatter are a great tool for creating lessons learned for each army and more importantly are great publicity for the community.
Only concern I have with a live feed is the TS would be the only aspect that would prove usefull to the enemy.
But as said, any such info passed on TS would be noticed quickly and neither HC (let alone the GCers I know) would be willing participants.