[Star Citizen] - Spaceships in space est. 2012.

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Star Citizen] Chris Roberts is back in the gaming indus

Post by Tea-Assault »

Whomsoever is lucky enough to own an Idris right now, let it be known that every single person with a Hornet or any other ship is SUPREMELY jealous.

To emphasize this further:
the end is really fµcking nigh
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

Idris Remodel

Right gents, if you want to check this sweet baby out here's some info!
- Pages 1-60 are some really, REALLY interesting WIP sheets that detail out how Ryan Church initially designed the Idris corvette and showcases some incredible concepts and modelling to make the Idris what it was until a few months ago. It's a good read to see how excited Chris Roberts and Chris Olive(?) get as the design progresses.
- If you can't be asked to read it all, there are some awesome side on views of the Idris here.
- From page 60 onward however, there are some issues that arose when they gave the Idris corvette to the SQ42 team. The Hornet model Ryan Church used was from the initial trailer, which is minuscule compared to the current model.
So what they did as far as I can tell from the rest of the images they have shown is make it a really stubby/fat ship and added a lot more interior room.
- The only view we get of the current WIP Idris "Frigate" is a blocked out model which doesn't look nearly as appealing as Ryan Church's vision. Here's a view from the top which shows how short and stubby the new nose appears to be :| I can't tell what's happening here though (edit) I think they are trying to make it longer to balance out with the concept?

(sorry for stealing this one matsif! This really got me excited)
Mordred
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Mordred »

#22387, I think I'll be fine :)

I actually already got to play the DFM a bit when I visited the CIG office in Santa Monica in January, well... mostly crashing the client but I did get to fly around a bit and shoot at stuff :p
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

DFM Release Date: May 29!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

matsif wrote:DFM Release Date: May 29!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
12 days away!!!!

I think I need something else to take my mind off of this :?
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

Calloutman wrote: 12 days away!!!!

Hahahahaha I have exams to take my mind off it :S but I still can't contain how excited I am!
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

Tea-Assault wrote:

Hahahahaha I have exams to take my mind off it :S but I still can't contain how excited I am!

yea well im already done with exams! i cant wait to see how this makes my computer suffer
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:
Tea-Assault wrote:

yea well im already done with exams! i cant wait to see how this makes my computer suffer
That's a good point that I'd not thought of, the hangar module runs... okayish on a lowered resolution... not sure how the DFM is going to work out for me. :?
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

new TFTC:

-may have low/heavy G environments if they want to do the animations
-there will be non-combat dangers (nebulas and other such environmental effects) in space
-the ship flight computer will allow you to auto-dock, but you'll be able to try it yourself as well
-general controls will be more or less the same across all ships, with some ships having more functionality than others depending on upgrades and whatnot
-discussed why there is no traditional friends list feature
-discussed what's going to happen in the planetside module
-you'll probably know who killed you after you die. however, if it was a bounty/contract, you will probably not know who hired them
-discussion of how they want to handle in game news services and player interaction with said services
-minerals will regen if there's a real hard lack of supply, but they want to balance it with the economy system
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

new WMH:

-there's only 3 more episodes of WMH after this, afterwords a new video series will be airing and I might have less things to post spam about. :(

-sneak peak at the single player "vanduul swarm" mode and how people are QA testing it
-planets in the final game will be larger and more various than what we will see in PU. stars won't be as detailed because you won't be able to get close enough
-some talk about small things to help color blind players
-bit of talk about what NPCs can do outside of being a wingman/gunner
-orgs can get custom stuff in game if CIG approves it (decals/spacesuits/etc)
-bit of talk about non-damaging weapons
-talk of human NPC opponents that may be "crazies" (firefly reavers etc)
-alliances will happen
-talks of how smugglers can beat scanning technology and how the police can find things being smuggled
-no plans for prisoners to be able to join you if you free them in a boarding action, as prisoners are being treated like abstract cargo rather than another human on board
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Quick question for y'all.

What is your opinion on the extent of how much macro keys will be used for Star Citizen? I'm in the market for a new keyboard and am considering getting a keyboard with macros if it seems like it'd be useful to have in Star Citizen for combat and other purposes. Is there any news that points to it being a benefit for gameplay?
Image[/url]
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

it will depend on a few things. since the game is being designed to work for controllers with a very limited set of controls in comparison to other things (xbox controller vs HOTAS or KBM), I personally doubt that getting a special macro control keyboard will be of superb use. depending on how they do energy management, weapon control, or other crew stations outside of class 5 turrets, there's a chance that it could be helpful. However I doubt those mechanics will be fully fleshed out for the first round of stuff, and for the first round we're only getting single seat ships IIRC.

One of those wait and see things I guess. Personally I'm looking into getting a HOTAS depending on how my old sidewinder feels in DFM, and for competitive reasons I can't see a macro-enabled keyboard being allowed in game if it lets you do extremely complex things like flight maneuvers at a touch of a button (there will be much crying and gnashing of teeth on the SC forums if that sort of thing is allowed). And since it's being designed to work with a controller with a maximum of 17 buttons, I have trouble seeing how having extra macro support will be necessary.

All of that said, there hasn't been a really official answer on this. While the game is being made to work with an xbox controller, it's also being made to work with a HOTAS set that could have 75+ button combos and a keyboard which stock has well more than what the xbox controller that they show all the time in the videos. All the official news on it is that CR wants the game to support as many peripherals as possible. So at the end of the day, it may be worth getting, even if the support is extremely limited at start, as assuming they hold up to that peripheral support it could be very useful down the line.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

@matsif

Those are some really good points. I'm glad to hear that they're taking all sorts of things into account so I'll probably settle for a keyboard with programmable macros, because why not. I'm also glad that I have an Xbox 360 controller on hand since it seems like it'll be really compatible with the game.

Secondly, since i have no idea how to segway into the next topic, I'll just say it. What really is our organization? Taking a look at the replies in our google docs, there seems to be a fair amount of people who want to pirate while others don't want to. I figure having two conflicting purposes within our organization may not be the best way to approach things especially when we consider things like reputation within the game.

So here's what I think. What if we create two affiliate organizations (one pirate, one non-pirate) with different charters, history, and manifestos. The two organizations can work with each other when needed, but it would operate with different motives and purpose. I'm not entirely sure how well this would work, and if it even would work out, but it could be one way to keep GC players together somehow.

It might still be too early to move forward with anything like this, but it's just a thought. What do you guys think?
Image[/url]
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

haruky wrote: Secondly, since i have no idea how to segway into the next topic, I'll just say it. What really is our organization? Taking a look at the replies in our google docs, there seems to be a fair amount of people who want to pirate while others don't want to. I figure having two conflicting purposes within our organization may not be the best way to approach things especially when we consider things like reputation within the game.

So here's what I think. What if we create two affiliate organizations (one pirate, one non-pirate) with different charters, history, and manifestos. The two organizations can work with each other when needed, but it would operate with different motives and purpose. I'm not entirely sure how well this would work, and if it even would work out, but it could be one way to keep GC players together somehow.

It might still be too early to move forward with anything like this, but it's just a thought. What do you guys think?
so while there is much talk of the arts of piracy and combat and such, personally I intend to do everything the game offers at least once, which is why I'd say we stick to 1 group for now. we can always make sub-orgs later if we want now that we have multi-org availability. I honestly want to do regular exploration, information runs, smuggling, piracy, and trading pretty much all the same.

We want to do everything overall I think (even the gung-ho pirates) once the game is out for at least the experience, and who's to say a massive exploration party couldn't be as fun as pirating a shipping convoy or trying to do a salvage run into Tiber and fight the Vanduul swarm?
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

You make a good point, Matsif.

We'll definitely just keep an eye out for how things like reputation and all that will work in the early game as things get more and more developed. Would hate to become a bounty target due to a few piracy actions.
Image[/url]