XCOM 2

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: XCOM 2

Post by haruky »

I have roughly 40 hours on the game so far. I haven't gotten past a single blacksite mission yet. The furthest I've gotten on the tech tree is the gauss rifle.

Do you know why?

Because I'm playing on Commander difficultly with iron man on. I've spent probably 30 hours alone on the very first mission... Because anytime one rookie gets injured or killed, i restart from the scratch. SIGH.
Image[/url]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

haruky wrote:Because I'm playing on Commander difficultly with iron man on. I've spent probably 30 hours alone on the very first mission... Because anytime one rookie gets injured or killed, i restart from the scratch. SIGH.
I played on "normal" difficulty my first playthrough, which apart from a few "BS" moments (like 2 or 3 times I misclikced :( ) no reloads.

next playthrough will be Legend/Ironman with the GC roster. Prepare to die people.
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

So, I'm going through as Rookie (makes sense, yes, because I'm old) (self-ZING) :lol:

This is my first XCOM game and so far I'm loving it.

Last night I went Flawless on a Mission to "rescue": Gwynzer "GETOOTMAWEH" MacScotland 8O

:clap: :lol:

XCOM gud, yeah
Damonott
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Damonott »

First play through done in 40hrs. I just made my guy. hit me up and I can share the export.

-D
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Boys. The war is over. A couple days ago I finally reached Valhalla. Two soldiers met their ends before the aliens were destroyed.

For anyone still in the war, I bid you good luck, Commander...
Image[/url]
Madsgyver
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Madsgyver »

Commander or Legend? Either way, only 2 casualties is... impressive. I'm almost finished with my first playthrough on veteran. I'm planning on doing a commander campaign next, but I fear I will get owned early game since I'm so used to having a ton of abilities, upgrades, psi ops and heavy weapons :D
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

I gave up on Legend/Ironman for now. I can get as far as the first terror mission most of the time, but I just can't yet figure out the balance between moving quick enough to save civvies, and not dying cause the enemy pods are insane.

I think part of my issue is the fact that I always rush-built AWC despite not being able to afford to staff it, because I don't want to lose out on the AWC perks from promoted soldiers. I've now just installed the Retroactive-AWC mod, so once I'm done with this C/I playthrough I'll give it another go.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Gwynzer wrote:I gave up on Legend/Ironman for now. I can get as far as the first terror mission most of the time, but I just can't yet figure out the balance between moving quick enough to save civvies, and not dying cause the enemy pods are insane.

I think part of my issue is the fact that I always rush-built AWC despite not being able to afford to staff it, because I don't want to lose out on the AWC perks from promoted soldiers. I've now just installed the Retroactive-AWC mod, so once I'm done with this C/I playthrough I'll give it another go.
I love using Phantom Rangers for those missions. Use them to get ahead and just save 6 citizens and pull back. But that plan goes horribly wrong if I trigger stupid tall dittos.

Also, this was on Commander mode. I'm gonna try for Legend mode soon. But not anytime in the near future. I need a break from this wretched game. Also, those two casualties... One was due to a bunch of chrysalids being triggered when I moved my soldier out. Then he died and turned into a cocoon...

The second casualty was on the last mission and it was the sacrifice I needed to kill one of the units that was flanking my entire squad.. He will be remembered.
Image[/url]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Legend is is a bit ridiculous. Basic soldiers have 5HP, which means 1 in 3 chance of killing without assistance. Cost many buildings have increased. Damage timers are doubled. Build timers are doubled.

They also remove the hidden cheats the game does on lower difficulties. On lower difficulties there is actually a hidden boost to your aim that isn't showed, and in some cases they add a hidden holotargeting type mechanic to your consecutive misses. In Legend, 50% means 50% (which means 0% when it's vitally important you make the hit :P )

The difference is too extreme, the same as in XCOM EU. I don't mind some of the mechanics changing, but they put EVERYTHING up to 11.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Gwynzer wrote:Legend is is a bit ridiculous. Basic soldiers have 5HP, which means 1 in 3 chance of killing without assistance. Cost many buildings have increased. Damage timers are doubled. Build timers are doubled.

They also remove the hidden cheats the game does on lower difficulties. On lower difficulties there is actually a hidden boost to your aim that isn't showed, and in some cases they add a hidden holotargeting type mechanic to your consecutive misses. In Legend, 50% means 50% (which means 0% when it's vitally important you make the hit :P )

The difference is too extreme, the same as in XCOM EU. I don't mind some of the mechanics changing, but they put EVERYTHING up to 11.
Maybe I will not play for long long time.
Image[/url]
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

phpBB [video]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

haruky wrote:Maybe I will not play for long long time.
The game becomes all about exploiting full cover and flanking, and good use of grenades to destroy enemy cover.

It's hard to do that with the mission timers in XCOM2. Operation Gatecrasher doesn't help any either, as there is 1 sectoid/trooper pod added in there for Legend, and there is a ton of undestroyable heavy cover by the statue which is frustrating as hell to playaround.